Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol. Yea the hell with it, I wants em and I've been working my ass off since going back to the W-2 world. Might as well enjoy some of my earnings while the rest go to investments. I'm also probably going to get the sumo springs myself in the Blue category once they go off back order. Hunted around and I'm seeing a few JK guys run them and even saw some posts of little taco's still being able to flex out with the blues in place. It's something more progressive and should be better than the little hard ***** we have factory. If I was going to put in the effort of making something work with Hydraulic stops I'd spend that time on the front.

You won’t have to worry much with bumpstops and Kings unless you want to grab air even with what they call OE valving. Too bad we don’t have aftermarket support for hydraulic cans so we’ll have to improvise. I haven’t have a need for anything in the back yet. i have yet to find out how it feels to hit the factory bumpstops with a big hit. can't say the same for the front :)

So because of that it's still in my mind like to address the front and I’m thinking 2.0 hyd cans similar to what have been done in this truck, i took some print screens from the guy Youtube video and posted them in my built thread to have the idea in my mind.

Hyd Bumpstops
Hyd Bumpstops
Hyd Bumpstops

I haven't bothered much yet with all this because even at 70mph and small/mild whoops i'll see in our desert roads the factory King CO bumpstop and valving seem to play nicely. i've only hit the front bumpstops that bad once, and i know better now how a squared edge pothole looks like and what it can do to my truck alignment...., I won't be jumping 3-6ft or more in the air with the truck anwyays or when the roads turns rocky i'll slow down accordingly. So for my driving style and terrain the OE Kings do the work just fine though i still want to have hyd cans front and rear simply because of their performance gains.. better to say i had enough than to say i didn't have enough hahaha.

The blue summosprings make for an attractive priced option for the back but since i haven't bottomed out the rear and the Kings do all the dampening in the rough i haven't thought i need them yet.

If you end up getting them post some details, i'd like to see how tall they're in comparison of the stockers to check the gap between the end and the pad, they say they can compress up to 80% of their size, and also how they do mount in our truck, is it a matter of just removing the factory little sucker and slapping the new summo ?

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Consider it a treat lol.

I was looking at those sumo springs, can't find any installed on a rig that does anything but tow tho. My Google fu is weak. I'll call falcon first, should be cheaper than the sumos. My next thing is rear shocks for sure. I'm blowing through the travel in these things, think that might be a bit or my problem too. Not sure what shocks I would run in place of these.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Btw Metalcloak (i'm using their bumpstop extensions in the back) also have these puppies. I don't know if any of them can fit in our rear bumpstop cup, but for $89 might be worth it to try ? if they don't work i guess we can return them.

https://metalcloak.com/durospring-replacement-jounce-bumper-jeep-jk-jl.html

To test fitment we can just remove the rear coils leaving the shocks in place?, and use the jack to compress one side of the axel and check how the shock looks like and what the bump stop will do, don't know that we can fully compress those bumpstops using this method though..
That's also part of the reason i haven't attempted to install aftermarket hyd cans.

The front is more complicated because it's a lot of work to remove the front coils just to test, then more time spent going to the alignment shop etc. Playing with this crap is never easy :)

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Btw Metalcloak (i'm using their bumpstop extensions in the back) also have these puppies. I don't know if any of them can fit in our rear bumpstop cup, but for $89 might be worth it to try ? if they don't work i guess we can return them.

https://metalcloak.com/durospring-replacement-jounce-bumper-jeep-jk-jl.html

Those replaced the sumos in their recommendations from what I saw. Wonder if they could fit our trucks also gonna wait and see if @hodge-xj can get the falcon stops and if he likes them. I had looked at the heavier sumo's in the past, but ended up with the 1211's that ended up getting replaced lol. You yank the stock bumps and then bolt their plate contraption around the stock location. Kind of a pain, but easily reversible.

Yea I'm not as worried about the back as the front and I also don't plan on pushing them that hard so it's 1000% overkiill. If I had a welder, on my to get list out here, and more free time I'd be super tempted to play with the Daystar Stingers upfront. They're cheap enough, come with various inserts for tuning, and could always be replaced with king 2.0 cans for something better once the fitment is dialed in.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@ram1500rsm I bottomed on the stockers, it's not a good feeling....at all. So many options idk what I wanna do. I like the sumo idea since I do sometimes load out the truck, but at the same time, they are $ and I can'tfind much on em. Well, not a thorough thread on them anyway.

I still need to contact falcon, and I'll cross reference PN between jeep and ram and see if those bumps might be the same cup.....hmmm

Same issue with coils, idk what I wanna do. Might see how new shocks feel under the truck. Light spring rate with some good valving will let the shocks work but firm it up a little. Idk. So many directions we can go with everything.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm I bottomed on the stockers, it's not a good feeling....at all. So many options idk what I wanna do. I like the sumo idea since I do sometimes load out the truck, but at the same time, they are $ and I can'tfind much on em. Well, not a thorough thread on them anyway.

I still need to contact falcon, and I'll cross reference PN between jeep and ram and see if those bumps might be the same cup.....hmmm

Same issue with coils, idk what I wanna do. Might see how new shocks feel under the truck. Light spring rate with some good valving will let the shocks work but firm it up a little. Idk. So many directions we can go with everything.

You can keep the springs and use them with those longer shocks. The problem is that if you toss the SLF springs you'll need something else to keep those long shocks you have now from unseating shorter coils, that means you'll have to look into limit straps. I'm affraid that even with any invesment you make in better bumpstops or air cans, your rear shocks are still not up to the task. 5100's series shocks are street only shocks, and those 5125's are just that with a tiny better generic valving that perhaps work one way either slow or fast compression and that's about it.

If you going to address this using better shocks then you need something with heavier valving. Fox 2.0 985-24-020 should fix that, truck might feel a little harsh on the street if you didn't have any weight in the back, but you have an extra 250lbs so you should be more than ok, and you get to use those coil springs in full which was the main idea.The Fox are $140 a piece list, maybe Nick@gotexhaust can get you into a deal.

You can also sell the SLF springs and 5125 shocks as a package and get your old Bislteins springs back with a 1" spacer or the Icon coils, and get the standard Icon 2.0 216524, selling the parts you have now will help pay for new stuff, not what you want to hear but you know how this suspension crap goes :)

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You can keep the springs and use them with those longer shocks. The problem is that if you toss the SLF springs you'll need something else to keep those long shocks you have now from unseating shorter coils, that means you'll have to look into limit straps. I'm affraid that even with any invesment you make in better bumpstops or air cans, your rear shocks are still not up to the task. 5100's series shocks are street only shocks, and those 5125's are just that with a tiny better generic valving that perhaps work one way either slow or fast compression and that's about it.

If you going to address this using better shocks then you need something with heavier valving. Fox 2.0 985-24-020 should fix that, truck might feel a little harsh on the street if you didn't have any weight in the back, but you have an extra 250lbs so you should be more than ok, and you get to use those coil springs in full which was the main idea.The Fox are $140 a piece list, maybe Nick@gotexhaust can get you into a deal.

You can also sell the SLF springs and 5125 shocks as a package and get your old Bislteins springs back with a 1" spacer or the Icon coils, and get the standard Icon 2.0 216524, selling the parts you have now will help pay for new stuff, not what you want to hear but you know how this suspension crap goes :)

Yea, these 5125s sure ride awesome over all the small stuff, but big dips in the highway I'm blowing through like 5" of shaft travel. There's just not quite enough damping. I have 1" of rake right now (39"/40"), so honestly I'm being picky. Aesthetic wise it looks level but it's not. It's crazy to think that 250lbs make that much difference, but it really does on these coil sprung trucks. I mean I used to run double that in my Cummins just to make it ride nicer lol. Honestly I don't wanna pull these coils simply because it's a ****** with the flares and liners. Sounds stupid but I'm getting tired of pulling my rear suspension apart lol. Lol

Those are the exact shocks I'm looking at actually. Seem like an alright middle ground, good price, alright performance and the length I need. I gotta go back and check the thread we had all those shock specs in for the rear end and see what I need for bump extensions. I'm curious to see if they really are that harsh feeling...especislly with these uber soft springs. Right now I'm pretty unbalanced front and rear feel wise, my front it still firm but smooth and the rear end is just a big soft mush pillow.

I really can't complain, it honestly does ride amazing, even on the 20s at 40psi you hardly feel a bump. I need to get out and flex it out and take a ride to woods, have some fun in it and stop critiquing my setup.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Curiosity killed....well, you know:dogpile:
Saw in another thread related to a rear spacer that you're sitting at 39.75" rear height stock......
Hmmm

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you are correct, sir. and i'm quite happy with that...for now. lol.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
you are correct, sir. and i'm quite happy with that...for now. lol.
Interesting, and good to know. I'm at 40" on 275 65s with 2" coils (supposedly). Obviously there's always differences in each truck but I'm surely disappointed I have 0 lift from yet another set of coils, compared to other stock height trucks. My truck sat ridiculously low compared to all the ones I've compared stock #s against. Weird. My lift heights have brought me to most stock leveled heights.......

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i noted that as well. i keep thinking in some ways you seem to have come full circle. now, not having driven your truck, i don't have a clue how it feels compared to mine. apples to oranges is my guess. i honestly had zero goal when i added the Billy's except to level without losing any ride quality.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
i noted that as well. i keep thinking in some ways you seem to have come full circle. now, not having driven your truck, i don't have a clue how it feels compared to mine. apples to oranges is my guess. i honestly had zero goal when i added the Billy's except to level without losing any ride quality.
I really have, the ride is awesome. Even on 20s it's like a big, comfy Cadillac. But I basically restored it to original height per se. I'm gonna pull my tool box out today and see if it changes anything. It's only 2 bolts. I have no issues with it, could use a bit more shock for the rear, but that's more because of the coils being so soft. At this point, I'm gearing up to sell my house so i really cant go blowing money. Just really curious as to what I have goin on.....i might have just had a low sitting oem truck.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
first time i've paid attention to what truck you have. if you can get a 2006 cummins riding like a caddy then you've accomplished something. do you know what your goal is anymore? I have to check myself sometimes on what i'm really trying to accomplish and at what price and why versus seeing someone else's shiny object and wanting it. case in point, I see someone locally has a BT Pedal Commander for a really good price for sale. Almost pulled the trigger on it 3x. Then I remind myself what else can i spend the money on, or save it towards...what is my driving pattern (mostly city, easy on the pedal, lots of stop and go). It's just another shiny toy. I've spent so much more than I ever intended to spend on this truck in 1st 6 months of ownership, that i really need to put a qualifier of need..vs want on this truck now. I figure i could have made another year of payments in 6 months on this truck on what I spent on stuff. Its a crazy rabbithole a guy can go down. i did the same thing on a brand new motorbike in 2016. you would think i would have learned my lesson by now:)

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
first time i've paid attention to what truck you have. if you can get a 2006 cummins riding like a caddy then you've accomplished something. do you know what your goal is anymore? I have to check myself sometimes on what i'm really trying to accomplish and at what price and why versus seeing someone else's shiny object and wanting it. case in point, I see someone locally has a BT Pedal Commander for a really good price for sale. Almost pulled the trigger on it 3x. Then I remind myself what else can i spend the money on, or save it towards...what is my driving pattern (mostly city, easy on the pedal, lots of stop and go). It's just another shiny toy. I've spent so much more than I ever intended to spend on this truck in 1st 6 months of ownership, that i really need to put a qualifier of need..vs want on this truck now. I figure i could have made another year of payments in 6 months on this truck on what I spent on stuff. Its a crazy rabbithole a guy can go down. i did the same thing on a brand new motorbike in 2016. you would think i would have learned my lesson by now:)
As of now, it fits all my needs. Which is why I rid myself of the 2500 for a 1/2 ton in the first place. I drive more than most normal folks. Goal was reliability and longevity. After the EPA recall and emissions update I'm upside down in the truck more than I'd like to admit. So I need it to last me until I can pay it off. Miles vs depreciation vs time is always a losing battle. That being said I wanted it to be my multi use, road trip, daily driver, weekend work and all around useable rig. Biggest issue being these rear suspensions do not like any weight in them being coil sprung, so that's where I'm fighting in circles. At this point I am throwing my hands up and waving the flag on changes. For the amount of time it spends loaded, or offroad, it's like 1% at most compared to unloaded commuting where it shines. I csnt validate big changes, at a decent cost, for a minimal change for my uses.

That being said, it's still a kick in the jewels knowing I spent money for a a set of lift coils, only to be back at stock height lol. That was my point in this whole rant. I still thoroughly enjoy this truck. I just want my cake and to eat it too is all.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Pulled my tool box out and my rear is back at 40.5-40.75" depending on where I park. Either I underestimated how much my box weighs with my tools or these coils really hate added weight. Either way now I at least know they aren't as clapped out as I initially thought. Compared to my original measurements of 38" on stock tires I'm about 1.5" of lift out of these unloaded. Ride is much less mushy in the rear.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is a good or bad thing! Thats not a lot of weight! Lol. Weigh it pieces by pieces. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
This is a good or bad thing! Thats not a lot of weight! Lol. Weigh it pieces by pieces. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
I don't own a scale.....its my attempt to pretend I'm not getting chunky

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pulled my tool box out and my rear is back at 40.5-40.75" depending on where I park. Either I underestimated how much my box weighs with my tools or these coils really hate added weight. Either way now I at least know they aren't as clapped out as I initially thought. Compared to my original measurements of 38" on stock tires I'm about 1.5" of lift out of these unloaded. Ride is much less mushy in the rear.

How bad did the Billsteins squat by comparison ? I'd take my box out to see how much they're squatting, but 6 j bolts with locktite on them isn't my idea of fun.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How bad did the Billsteins squat by comparison ? I'd take my box out to see how much they're squatting, but 6 j bolts with locktite on them isn't my idea of fun.
Never checked honestly. But prob similar results to be honest. I can't believe how heavy this thing is. I have 2 big ass grade 8 bolts holding it in so it's pretty easy to remove aside from moving it.