Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
this is what you need!

"Make sure you buy springs from a company that offers free and unlimited spring swapping (like AccuTune Off-Road )."

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
this is what you need!

"Make sure you buy springs from a company that offers free and unlimited spring swapping (like AccuTune Off-Road )."
I bet they can get these little 2.0s to feel as good as I want them to. I had 2.0s on my Cummins and with the right tuning I couldn't reach the limits of them where I'm driving my vehicle. Plus my all in will still be affordable.

I won't be making a dime off any of my parts I'll be selling either. So peeps should keep their eyes peeled when I finish this swap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Scooped up a set of fox 2.0s that need rebuild on here. Couldn't pass up the deal. When I get them I'll clean them up and get them shipped to accutune. Depnding on what a rebuild and a new set of diesel coils would cost, will dictate what direction I go. I've got too much preload in these 6112s, and it's a shame because they really are a good platform. Just not for my truck. Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

After you get those Fox 2.0s rebuilt and installed, you'll be the go-to guy for feedback on different setups for sure. Sorry you haven't found your perfect setup yet and hopefully the Fox 2.0s will be a part of the answer for you.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
After you get those Fox 2.0s rebuilt and installed, you'll be the go-to guy for feedback on different setups for sure. Sorry you haven't found your perfect setup yet and hopefully the Fox 2.0s will be a part of the answer for you.
Fingers crossed! Honestly this is my hobby so it's kinda interesting for me to try things out. Last time I had shocks tuned it was through Don thuren for the 2500s so I just had to order parts, so hopefully this time I get to have a little input. Obviously these 2.0s have large limitations, but so long as I can run through the sections of highway that are destroyed around here without cringing I will be happy. Like I said, the 6112s have been great, I just have different expectations for my set up. Good shock in the wrong application.

May or may not pull these rear coils. For sure need better shocks, again when I'm not running around loaded up they are great, but add extra weight and hit things at high speed and I quickly find they are under valved for the task. Good shock wrong application.

I'm hoping I can fill in all the questions for entry level suspensions. Ram1500rsm and revit have the kings figured out, I'm still playing with the JV league bits!

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Fingers crossed! Honestly this is my hobby so it's kinda interesting for me to try things out. Last time I had shocks tuned it was through Don thuren for the 2500s so I just had to order parts, so hopefully this time I get to have a little input. Obviously these 2.0s have large limitations, but so long as I can run through the sections of highway that are destroyed around here without cringing I will be happy. Like I said, the 6112s have been great, I just have different expectations for my set up. Good shock in the wrong application.

May or may not pull these rear coils. For sure need better shocks, again when I'm not running around loaded up they are great, but add extra weight and hit things at high speed and I quickly find they are under valved for the task. Good shock wrong application.

I'm hoping I can fill in all the questions for entry level suspensions. Ram1500rsm and revit have the kings figured out, I'm still playing with the JV league bits!

Haha, love the JV league comparison - thats a good way to look at it. Do you think you'll try 2.0s for the rear too?

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Haha, love the JV league comparison - thats a good way to look at it. Do you think you'll try 2.0s for the rear too?
Yea, I'll be getting some fox 2.0s for the rear as well. That's another issue all together. The rear coils I have (super lift slf140) raised me by 1.5" but we're SUPER long. My current shocks are 29.7" extended. Problem is when fully compressed they'll bottom out before the bump stops. I haven't really had time to source a set of bumps, and honestly might just run a shorter off the shelf shock and lose a bit of droop travel. I'm at the height I want so now it's just nit picking things to get my cobbled together **** to work properly.

I am pulling my box back out as I haven't used it, and that will lighten my ass end up enough I should avoid most issues. ( aboit 300+ pounds ) Prob gonna get a cheap tonneau cover and do some bins against the tailgate with a load management bar. That'll be my before winter task tho to keep things I need out of the weather.

As I said, this is all just me messing with setups, but I don't drink, smoke or have any other hobbies or expenses except my house so I research and tinker to keep myself busy.

Today I'm gonna get a daystar front spacer for.my oem struts so I can pull these 6112s and get them cleaned and prepped for their new home.

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/spring-preload-matters/

This explains in good depth what I'm experiencing.

Wizardry !! makes my head hurt lol.. Looks like these guys know their **** and will get you dialed in on those new to you coilovers :peace:. Make sure you are as detailed as possible when you talk to them about how you want your valving, driving habits and ideal use.
Remember its not about the amount of travel you have its about effective travel and having it tuned to your needs.

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yea, I'll be getting some fox 2.0s for the rear as well. That's another issue all together. The rear coils I have (super lift slf140) raised me by 1.5" but we're SUPER long. My current shocks are 29.7" extended. Problem is when fully compressed they'll bottom out before the bump stops. I haven't really had time to source a set of bumps, and honestly might just run a shorter off the shelf shock and lose a bit of droop travel. I'm at the height I want so now it's just nit picking things to get my cobbled together **** to work properly.

I am pulling my box back out as I haven't used it, and that will lighten my ass end up enough I should avoid most issues. ( aboit 300+ pounds ) Prob gonna get a cheap tonneau cover and do some bins against the tailgate with a load management bar. That'll be my before winter task tho to keep things I need out of the weather.

As I said, this is all just me messing with setups, but I don't drink, smoke or have any other hobbies or expenses except my house so I research and tinker to keep myself busy.

Today I'm gonna get a daystar front spacer for.my oem struts so I can pull these 6112s and get them cleaned and prepped for their new home.

Have you checked in to those bump stop extensions like what @ram1500rsm is using, to keep your shock from bottoming out, may be a cheaper alternative than replacing the shocks. You may have already talked about it in an earlier post.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are the bumpstop extensions i'm using in the back, literally plug and play in the stock bumpstop pad. You just need a couple of bolts for the back to guide them in the pad holes, and you want those bolts a little wider than the block pad holes so they fit snug, that way they won't back out in your first truck jump:)

The blocks are some sort of hard rubber so you just need to find anything that can fit in the hole either in you garage or Lowes or whatever. If i remember they also come with the bolts and nuts to secure them to the pads which is what i used for the front holes, the ones in the back are from Lowes... or maybe both are from Lowes just longer or shorter version of what they come in the Kit. ****...i did this last year so i didn't document the hardware needed but you'll figure it out hehe.

You can start with 1" and if you need more you simply add another 1" block as needed.
This is the 2" stackable version
https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-adjustable-bump-stops-rear-2.html
this the are the 4" stackable version
https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-adjustable-bump-stops-rear-1-4.html

The bolt facing the back of the truck is the one securing the bumpstop, the one in the back facing the front of the truck doesn't have a nut becuse it'll be impossible to fit one, but it only guides the bumpstop in the hole at the back and wont let the bumpstop slide around. I got lucky with the setup since i had these laying around in my garage back when i had my Jeep. they fitted like a glove in the back of the RAM.

48600684017_ff9a3f3583_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

you can see the one in the back
48600684127_595cbc10f2_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

The rear driver side is not as easy to setup like the passenger side because the bracket for the trackbar is in the middle, but a small wrench will fit no problem to secure the lower nut, you will just have to have that small wrench or be a little creative, but if i was able to fit that little sumbitch in there anybody can.

48600672011_6973a75576_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/spring-preload-matters/

This explains in good depth what I'm experiencing.

They're local to us here in Socal, prob an hour for me from where i live. you'll be in excellent hands with Accutune.
I had a lenghty conversation with them about shocks lenght and Kings back when i had the SLF springs, super cool guys, they race their trucks and also have shock dynos and crap like that to figure all the details we can't see. go figures, this dudes are like Neo in the Matrix :)

Since they'll be doing the job for you, ask them to see how much for the Diesel springs. They shouldn't be that expensive, I know Fox has 2 different coilovers one for the gas and for diesel in the 1500 application. part# for the 1500 diesel is 985-02-020, whereas gas is 983-02-050
which is more likely what you have now. Ask them about the differences between the 2 maybe fitting some other spring that can allow a little bit more lift ? they seem to have enough threads in the coilover to go higher or lower. All up to you of course i know there more options the expensive this chit gets considering the price you got the CO's you're in a good position to change things around. I know the change in valving alone will make wonders for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Wheels are in the air and 6112s are coming out. Be back soon [emoji41]

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So I unloaded my bed box before I removed 6112s. Rear end came back up to 41" unloaded. Give or take an 1/8th. Pulled the 6112s and installed a 1.5" spacer in its place to keep the truck driveable and the alignment in spec until i get these Fox's. Front is at 38 1/8" - 38 1/4" depending how you look at the tape.

Came across BDS spec'd fox 2.0s. I think they were brought up in the "Rear end Ride quality" thread but I'll mention them again. Extended they are 28" but compressed they are 16.6". Same as oem compressed length so I don't need to **** with bump stops. I lose a bit of droop, but that's ok since i really don't foresee myself running fully flexed out all that much.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@ram1500rsm @revitupmoto33 thanks for the suggestions! After all the debating and everything with the rear I'm just gonna run a bit shorter extended shock from BDS 28/16.6 extended/comp. They are 1500 specific so I'm hoping they are valved pretty good.

Up front I'm kinda stoked. The 6112s were awesome in some situations but others I hated them. It's not the fault of the shock, I had them set to max. They weren't as bad as 5100s maxxed out tho. Never once did they top out or anything, just agressive rebound on sharp hits like potholes and after a while it gets old cringing every time I drive. I'm very fortunate that I got the shocks for what I did, it gives me room to play with them a bit.

I'll see what accutune has to say. I know I'll need the fox diesel coils at minimum and I'll see what they wanna do with the valving once I talk to them. I'm all for quality at this point. I don't go wild when I do get offroad. Hell i had tuned fox 2.0 resi shocks on my 2500 and they were amazing, not getting my hopes up too high but im sure itll be better. The 6112s will be going to a good home and repurposed accordingly. Just hope these tuned foxs don't make this rear feel like ****!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm @revitupmoto33 thanks for the suggestions! After all the debating and everything with the rear I'm just gonna run a bit shorter extended shock from BDS 28/16.6 extended/comp. They are 1500 specific so I'm hoping they are valved pretty good.

Up front I'm kinda stoked. The 6112s were awesome in some situations but others I hated them. It's not the fault of the shock, I had them set to max. They weren't as bad as 5100s maxxed out tho. Never once did they top out or anything, just agressive rebound on sharp hits like potholes and after a while it gets old cringing every time I drive. I'm very fortunate that I got the shocks for what I did, it gives me room to play with them a bit.

I'll see what accutune has to say. I know I'll need the fox diesel coils at minimum and I'll see what they wanna do with the valving once I talk to them. I'm all for quality at this point. I don't go wild when I do get offroad. Hell i had tuned fox 2.0 resi shocks on my 2500 and they were amazing, not getting my hopes up too high but im sure itll be better. The 6112s will be going to a good home and repurposed accordingly. Just hope these tuned foxs don't make this rear feel like ****!

She’ll ride good can’t wait to see the final result.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Coilovers showed up today. Gonna clean them and the 6112s up tomorrow. Just in time too as I blew the passenger side oem strut. Went to walk the dog and saw a big puddle, immediately thought it was my EGR cooler. Thankfully it's not. I Knew I hit a pot hole hard but ********. Was on a highway i dont normally frequent and had nowhere to go but through the middle of a sedan eater. These struts didn't last long lol. Hopefully accutune has a good turn around. [emoji854]

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So it's been a long and aggravating couple days.

To start, my fox rear shocks come in tomorrow. Super stoked.

So long story short I grenaded the front passenger oem strut. I've never personally heard a gas shock explode, until now. Sounded like I blew my rim apart. That was Friday night. No biggie figured I'd call accutune and get my Fox's shipped out. No dice, they're closed weekends. Never having fully blown a shock I figured it was still maybe driveable. No way. The truck pogo sticked pretty bad on that front corner, couldn't get away with that for an undisclosed amount of time. So I had to go to plan B.