Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Pic #1- Pro tip- don't bother trying to hang brake calipers, just lay them on a jack stand and slide them out of the way. Alot easier than wrestling with some nonsense and trying to figure a way to hang them.

For reference truck has 156k on it.

pic 2- what both wheel bearings look like on the CV side after 156k

Pic 3- inside the knuckle....dissimilar metals and corrosive environments take their toll

pic 4- cleaned up and looks like a ****** gnawed it

pic 5 - upper BJ in my ready lift arms. They're still in perfect shape after 50-60k miles. Only noticeable wear is the little indent in the socket hosing where it hits at full droop. Cleaned the old grease out, new boot on it and I'm gonna run it.

To be continued.....
Time to go to icons delta joint for more down travel by the looks of it. Or something with more flex to accommodate your icons extended length better.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Time to go to icons delta joint for more down travel by the looks of it. Or something with more flex to accommodate your icons extended length better.
Yea I'm looking into some options for down the road. Not sure what I'm gonna do. So long as I keep the front tires on the ground I should be fine, this also could have been from when I ran the spacer combo on my 6112s as well and over extended things. I saw it snapped a pic and didn't look too far into it. I'm trying to abuse the truck less and the jeep more, for the sake and longevity of the truck lol.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Fun Fact of the Day #1 talking with you is dangerous for my mental state, every time we talk, I wanna just take my chit out and go fast!

Fun Fact of the Day #2 Bistein rear coils for the Ram 1500 will lift a jeep XJ 3.5 inches in the front.

Long story short, I got to thinking and decided to test fit the old bilstein coils I have kicking around. They spec out perfect for what I needed to compliment the kings I plan on running. 200lb (ish) rate, a free length of 19.5/20" and should net about 3.5" lift. Was also able to remove the passenger side lean i was getting. I'll be damned if they don't fit like a glove. Added my 1.75 spacers to the lift to net a total of 5.25 lift. Should keep me from blowing through my travel as easy as I was with the OME coils which had the same free height of 19.5" but a 147lb rate.

Free mods are the best mods!
I changed my Jeep front springs as well. I went with Rock Krawler 1.5" springs. These were supposed to put my front in 2-2.25" range, ended up being 3" after i put them in, good thing i have the Adjustable Clayton LCA's and Clayton front TB. Drives better than stock ever did. OME L's front shold be home today. Rear is still factory JKU springs with little spacers. i think this will be final height so i'll start saving for those Kings.
You must be registered for see images attach
2021-07-11_09-17-27 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Now i need a winch, was going to steal it from the RAM but the wife said to leave it alone and "go and buy myself a new one" :)

2021-07-11_09-17-16 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
I changed my Jeep front springs as well. I went with Rock Krawler 1.5" springs. These were supposed to put my front in 2-2.25" range, ended up being 3" after i put them in, good thing i have the Adjustable Clayton LCA's and Clayton front TB. Drives better than stock ever did. OME L's front shold be home today. Rear is still factory JKU springs with little spacers. i think this will be final height so i'll start saving for those Kings.
2021-07-11_09-17-27 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Now i need a winch, was going to steal it from the RAM but the wife said to leave it alone and "go and buy myself a new one" :)

2021-07-11_09-17-16 by RAM RSM, on Flickr
Looks awesome! I figure you've been busy with the jeep since it's been quite on your truck build. I'm currently saving for the kings, and with lead times like they are I guess it's a good thing I'm not in a hurry lol. All I really NEED is the A.C. charged and the jeep will be good save for some axle seals and u joints which is stupid stuffs.

My truck must be jealous of the jeep, it's been fighting me every step of the way lol. Brand new CVs had the lower boot bands loose and puking grease. I was able to fix it but I'm getting really tired of the lack of any QC from replacement brands. Time to save for the OEM CVs and a trans service/tune which will eat into that KING budget pretty good. I know I bought "cheaper" versions, but c'mon at some point something has to give.

Some days I wanna torch both and start fresh. That's today lol.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I figure you've been busy with the jeep since it's been quite on your truck build. I'm currently saving for the kings, and with lead times like they are I guess it's a good thing I'm not in a hurry lol. All I really NEED is the A.C. charged and the jeep will be good save for some axle seals and u joints which is stupid stuffs.

My truck must be jealous of the jeep, it's been fighting me every step of the way lol. Brand new CVs had the lower boot bands loose and puking grease. I was able to fix it but I'm getting really tired of the lack of any QC from replacement brands. Time to save for the OEM CVs and a trans service/tune which will eat into that KING budget pretty good. I know I bought "cheaper" versions, but c'mon at some point something has to give.

Some days I wanna torch both and start fresh. That's today lol.
Yes I've been doing more stuff to the Jeep lately. I think I can say I have the Jeep almost done. A have a few more items to get before I can say I'm done. I did a new rear window for my RAM softopper as I messed it up badly trying to clean it. Lol. One of those things to remember with a big laugh. Good thing the fix was only $80 :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Yes I've been doing more stuff to the Jeep lately. I think I can say I have the Jeep almost done. A have a few more items to get before I can say I'm done. I did a new rear window for my RAM softopper as I messed it up badly trying to clean it. Lol. One of those things to remember with a big laugh. Good thing the fix was only $80 :)
That's why I ended up tossing the black headlights on my Ram. Tried to fix turned into an entire oops moment. Live and learn right?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
So I gave my buddy the 1" daystar spacers and we installed the 6112s on his truck. Same exact truck as mine, IE- Crew Cab Eco Diesel. Bone Stock 76k on the truck

Started out-

36" front
38.5" rear

6112s set to the max (2.3" per bilstein)
39-39.25" front
39.5" rear

I'm thinking after alignment it should come down a little in the front since it's way bad alignment wise. Still interesting to see that he got so much lift out of it. If it doesn't come down after alignment were gonna drop it at least 1 clip in height.

This is weird to me, since I never managed to get more than the 2.25" at most out of them. He's on stock UCAs so I'm hoping we don't have to pull it back apart.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
So I gave my buddy the 1" daystar spacers and we installed the 6112s on his truck. Same exact truck as mine, IE- Crew Cab Eco Diesel. Bone Stock 76k on the truck

Started out-

36" front
38.5" rear

6112s set to the max (2.3" per bilstein)
39-39.25" front
39.5" rear

I'm thinking after alignment it should come down a little in the front since it's way bad alignment wise. Still interesting to see that he got so much lift out of it. If it doesn't come down after alignment were gonna drop it at least 1 clip in height.

This is weird to me, since I never managed to get more than the 2.25" at most out of them. He's on stock UCAs so I'm hoping we don't have to pull it back apart.
3” lift out of the 6112 on his truck? Something seems off. You sure that things got the eco diesel? Lol. I’m sure it’ll drop some but I can’t see it settling 3/4”

hodge-xj

Reaction score
3” lift out of the 6112 on his truck? Something seems off. You sure that things got the eco diesel? Lol. I’m sure it’ll drop some but I can’t see it settling 3/4”
Dude swear on my dog! I didn't mess with the setting on them cuz they were set to 2.3" and he had enough rake I figured it would be fine.......yeah right. Luckily i had the 1" spacers and its perfectly level. His truck was 100% untouched.

Only thing that kinda could make sense is that the front struts were sagged or a softer factory option. His is a fancy bighorn model with no skids or tow hooks so maybe it's got girly suspension? Looking back in this thread I started off at 39.5, settle to 39" and only dropped after I added the UCAs with proper geometry. He's happy with it, so I'll see how it aligns and report back.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Maybe you have something in yours that weights a lot more?. or Maybe the springs in his 6112's are different ? 1" is a lot of height difference considering Bilsteins run super close to the heights they advertised. Could be normal too as they haven't settled. Typically 0.5" less after some miles.