Holster options for that little cubbyhole on the side of the big floor console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figgered that cubby hole pocket on the side of the console would be a good place to clip an ordinary LH paddle holster or belt clip holster too, but not sure which ones work good and which ones don’t

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the Shapeshift offers too much for what little I need, especially considering I just bought a new crossbreed holster for IWB carry. Lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a Foxx Block magnet. Holds every pistol I've stuck to it. And I'm generally traveling with a Dan Wesson CBOB 1911.

I’ve heard about these. You use yours similar to how this person is? I was kinda hoping to avoid drilling holes in the plastic anywhere but I do like the idea.
6f42a6c670aee02969af4a9dabd797d9.jpg

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if a strip of good quality double-sided tape would work good in the place of screws?

@Ricochet, where do you have yours mounted?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I wonder if a strip of good quality double-sided tape would work good in the place of screws?

@Ricochet, where do you have yours mounted?

Mine is mounted right where the pic shows it. Magnet facing the door, so it sticks to the side of the slide.

I would not trust any double sided tape to securely hold the weight of a firearm. I was using Scotch/3M Extreme tape, probably the strongest double sided you can get, to hold my old Tekonsha Voyager brake controller right there on the dash as well. And it would routinely fall off in hot weather. And that thing was relatively light.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is mounted right where the pic shows it. Magnet facing the door, so it sticks to the side of the slide.

I would not trust any double sided tape to securely hold the weight of a firearm. I was using Scotch/3M Extreme tape, probably the strongest double sided you can get, to hold my old Tekonsha Voyager brake controller right there on the dash as well. And it would routinely fall off in hot weather. And that thing was relatively light.

I was afraid of that.

I just don’t wanna use screws cuz the holes are permanent.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What holster is that, just one of those nylon Walmart uncle mikes holsters (or equivalent) which I’m assuming has a belt clip?

I like the idea with the cover tho- that’s pretty innovative but since I wouldn’t be leaving my gun in there once I got out, I just need something to hold it. This is for my little Ruger 9 mil so, when I’m in the truck, it works in that and when I get out, it would go right back into the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. [emoji41]

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just clip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I was afraid of that.

I just don’t wanna use screws cuz the holes are permanent.

Can't carry in a vehicle that way here in Demokratik Republik of NJ, but I have several (read "a bunch") Magna-Arm magnets around my house to supplement the one on me. Secure as heck w/ 2 screws. Each one holds either .45 ACP Glock 21's, Glock 30's or 5" steel 1911's. I use 2 per gun 'cause they like to rotate with only 1. Never fall off, just rotate. Not good. That thing should be exactly where your hand lands EVERY time.
Drill the holes. You can leave them attached when you sell/trade it. It's an added "feature". Considering you're dealing with plastic, I would drill and use nuts and bolts with flat washers for obvious reasons.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your right, it's just a cheapo left handed holster with the clip on the back. It's clipped and also it is velcroed--a piece on the holster and a piece on the console---it' s some heavy duty industrial strength velcro so it doesn't move. I use the cover because of the white outlined sights--even with the windows tinted you can still see the outline of the sights through the window, so I covered it up. The cover is a black microfiber piece of material that matches the seats. I'm glad the "boss" is a seamstress--LOL
Jay

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't carry in a vehicle that way here in Demokratik Republik of NJ, but I have several (read "a bunch") Magna-Arm magnets around my house to supplement the one on me. Secure as heck w/ 2 screws. Each one holds either .45 ACP Glock 21's, Glock 30's or 5" steel 1911's. I use 2 per gun 'cause they like to rotate with only 1. Never fall off, just rotate. Not good. That thing should be exactly where your hand lands EVERY time.
Even with a permit? Dang.
Drill the holes. You can leave them attached when you sell/trade it. It's an added "feature". Considering you're dealing with plastic, I would drill and use nuts and bolts with flat washers for obvious reasons.

Yeah that’s true, for no more than what these cost, I wouldn’t be interested in taking it out if I ever got rid of the truck, i was just more concerned about it being a permanent choice and that if I ever wanted to move it or take it out completely, I’d be left with the holes remaining...lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your right, it's just a cheapo left handed holster with the clip on the back. It's clipped and also it is velcroed--a piece on the holster and a piece on the console---it' s some heavy duty industrial strength velcro so it doesn't move. I use the cover because of the white outlined sights--even with the windows tinted you can still see the outline of the sights through the window, so I covered it up. The cover is a black microfiber piece of material that matches the seats. I'm glad the "boss" is a seamstress--LOL
Jay

Yeah I’m sure pretty much any holster with just a regular belt clip would all more than likely fit roughly the same so I like the idea of the Velcro holding it in place and from rattling.

So on the cover; is that just for keeping it outta sight, and outta mind, if you leave it there when you leave your truck?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I leave the gun in the truck, like at a gas station while I'm fueling up or someone is walking by the truck and happens to look in, they would not be able to see it. If I go in a store or inside anywhere that allows carrying, it comes with me. I park in the garage at home so no worries about anyone breaking in and getting it. I have the same set up for my Solo so I can carry it in the truck and carry it in the summer.
Jay

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a WRB holster. There are a lot of firms out there that make one like the one I have.

It's nylon, has a top velcro strapped pouch for a second mag, it's ambidextrous with a spring clip that can be fastened to either side and an adjustable button strap.

It clips over the edge of that big open map pocket at the base of the center console.

20180605_114659_zpscfyzc9l9.jpg

20180605_114712_zpsww9b63jm.jpg

20180605_114805_zpsliwx5ofh.jpg

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I'd be more worried about that clip scratching the hell out of the console. I can leave the $20 magnet screwed in when I sell the truck and it kind of blends in. Scratches, no so much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963