Home Link won't transmit after a certain sequence.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If I do things in a certain sequence, the Home Link (Garage Door opener) won't transmit.
This has been hard to figure out. At first I thought it was random but I've finally figured out how to reproduce the failure. OK, Ram software engineers, here goes....
1. My 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel is sitting in the garage with the door closed.
2. I open the door and get in and close the door. Without doing anything else, the dash is lit up, as it should be.
3. I press the #1 button on my Home link transmitter in the ceiling of the truck. A message appears advising that it is transmitting on channel one and the garage door opens.
4. I start the truck engine and drive out.
5. When I'm clear of the door, I press the #1 button on the Home link transmitter to close the door but nothing happens. No message and no door closure.

If I change up my sequence as in starting the engine first and then pressing the #1 button to open the garage door it works and after driving out I press it again and I get the transmitting message and the door closes.

NOW, before I say any more we have to agree that the garage door opener does not transmit back to the truck, it is just a receiver.

I've driven away with the truck in the failed state (not transmitting) and gone straight to my dealer and left it still running and had them put their transmit tester on it and confirmed that it wasn't or would not transmit. Turn the engine off and give it time to go back to sleep and it will then work OK again.

Now, why do I believe it is a software issue? I had a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and it did the same thing. The dealer replaced the Home Link board twice and it continued to fail.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior?

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I follow that sequence all the time with my 2016 1500 and have never had an issue—opens/closes the door without fail.

best,
DG