Home made big 3 kit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLILBEASTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been reading up on some more forums and I learned that the reason it's better to keep the alternator grounded to the engine block or chassis is so that any aftermarket accessories can get their ground from the chassis. Is this true? Also do the 4th gen Ram alternators ground themselves to the engine through the mount itself?

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
The alternator's frame IS it's ground, it being bolted to the engine is all the electrical ground that is needed.

But I've been told that if you have more than one amplifier and three speakers in your truck, running at least a 10 AWG wire from each and every bolt on the engine to the amplifier's ground will make the audio sound better. :D

Bugsysiegals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock wires are pretty thick already ... I'm only going with #1 AWG Welding Wire for my stereo since it's rated at 300A under 50 foot and wonder whether the stock wire is already #1 AWG?