Home made catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karposvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not like I'm the first to do this, but thought I'd post some pics. Spent about $35 total, I'm happy...

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that's pretty cool, nice work

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Do you have any pics of the inside? Did you put screen in it or anything else? And how is it working so far? Looks good.

OP
OP
K

karposvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry, no pics, but here's one I found, it's the Husky home depot one, looks almost identical...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...962-new-catch-can-option-home-depot-pic-1.jpg

Since it has that round filter already in there I didn't add anything. I just did it today, so no real update on how it performs although if you search it online there's a ton of info and pics. I have a service truck for work, so I really don't drive it except on weekends. I'll give it a couple of weeks and post and update...

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
karposvt wrote: "Not like I'm the first to do this, but thought I'd post some pics. Spent about $35 total, I'm happy..."

I like your bracket. I had a similar compressor filter for about 4 months, but didn't have as nice a bracket--I didn't trust the plastic bottle being so close to the manifold. I broke down and emptied my piggy bank for a BT Catch Can.

OP
OP
K

karposvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bent the bracket so it doesn't sit right next to the head. I started it and let it run for a good while to get the motor hot. The bottom plastic part was barely luke warm, so I think it'll be ok...

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did the same thing with the Kobalt filter. It works pretty good and catches a bunch of oil but there is still some film in the line going back into the throttle body which leads me to be believe the filter on these isnt quite doing the whole job. So much oil gets caught in it though so it is definitely better than not having one but I really wonder how much is getting through. Does anyone else who has done this mod want to check the hose back to the throttle body and see if it has any residue/film in it? Im just curious if its only mine or if all the oil/air separators let a little through.

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have almost the same home made catch can on my camaro i'm trying to sell.

When i get the money I think i'm just going to buy one though. lazy = me atm

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a write up for someone starting from scratch?

Mr. Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Big Horn CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In addition to the oil separator, what else did you have to buy?