Homelink not working well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
No not really, but I do know that a few years ago they were crying about the LEDs in the valley lol ..

But the LEDs that most cities not just here in California installed on streetlights are starting to turn blue instead of white lol .... that I know for a fact because that is what happened to the lights here in our city ... since then a lot of wonkey crap has been happening ....

I found a little short on YouTube (actually it found me) on these blue/purple lights. Turns out they're defective and should be replaced under warranty.

Basil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same problem out the box when my 2018 Ram 1500 was brand new. Got a courtesy call From FCA and told them about it. They just said see the dealership. At the time I owned a Toyota 4x4 without home link but used the fob from the lift master garage door openers and a BMW with home link and they both worked perfectly. I have since purchased a Nissan 370Z with a homelink and it works perfectly. So I just put a fob in my truck. Tired of sitting in my truck pushing the homelink button hoping it would open my garage doors. I think they got something wrong. Everything else connected to my garage openers works. Just not my truck.

tcburch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LEDs or not, try lengthening your opener antenna wire a couple of inches (no, thicker is not better, a modest couple of inches length is what matters)...generally, this will help overcome signal and interference issues...

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
LEDs or not, try lengthening your opener antenna wire a couple of inches (no, thicker is not better, a modest couple of inches length is what matters)...generally, this will help overcome signal and interference issues...
I have been told a couple of inches more is always better :)

Scooter402

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is hit or miss… since my 17 seconds of searching was fruitless, and I’m too lazy to walk outside at the moment… where would a guy find the door opener antenna if he wanted to extend it?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Mine is hit or miss… since my 17 seconds of searching was fruitless, and I’m too lazy to walk outside at the moment… where would a guy find the door opener antenna if he wanted to extend it?
Right by the battery but on the other side, you will see a dial or learn button, then you will see a white wire hanging maybe about 6-8 inches in lenght sometimes shorter ....

Scooter402

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right by the battery but on the other side, you will see a dial or learn button, then you will see a white wire hanging maybe about 6-8 inches in lenght sometimes shorter ....
Awesome, thanks for that. I’ll have to take a look next time I’m under the hood. It’s annoying when it doesn’t work. I’d like to have it actually work every time I hit the button.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Awesome, thanks for that. I’ll have to take a look next time I’m under the hood. It’s annoying when it doesn’t work. I’d like to have it actually work every time I hit the button.
not sure but think you are thinking the antenna of the truck for the homelink? @CheechDogg.0n37s is talking about the wire on the opener in the garage.

am i right or are you referring to the truck?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
not sure but think you are thinking the antenna of the truck for the homelink? @CheechDogg.0n37s is talking about the wire on the opener in the garage.

I didn't catch the part where he said "I’ll have to take a look next time I’m under the hood" lol .....

This is not on the truck, this is the garage door opener's antenna

Scooter402

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I didn't catch the part where he said "I’ll have to take a look next time I’m under the hood" lol .....

This is not on the truck, this is the garage door opener's antenna
Ha! I must have been out of my mind yesterday when I read @CheechDogg.0n37s reply. Either that, or I’m just a complete idiot. I’ve been called (and answered to) worse. Didn’t occur to me to just look at the opener antenna (in the garage). Thanks y’all. I’ll take a look at that.

mjcarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Let’s face it, our purchased FCA Homelink products APPEAR TO NOT have enough signal strength.

It order to get my 2018 RAM 1500 to link to my Genie 1028 opener I had to place truck in garage, NOT ADVISABLE TO PROGRAM IN GARAGE FOR SAFETY REASONS.

It was not low batteries in Genie handheld transmitter or training Homelink within vehicle because I always got all 3 channels to train successfully. It obviously appears to be poor signal strength from RAM to garage opener.

So after successful programming, the garage door opened for a few days but then it deteriorated to not working at all. Pressing the Homelink button in vehicle says transmitting on channel 2 but garage door no longer opens. I brought vehicle to dealership and they blame issue on opener head unit, etc and say it’s unpredictable if things will work with Homelink and I should just give it up.

My Ford Fusion works flawlessly with same garage door opener unit, never an issue. My handheld transmitter works flawlessly and so does my keypad on the wall.

I had a 2009 Chrysler Aspen, an FCA product, prior to the RAM and it functioned intermittently but better than RAM. I believe you all have different garage opener head units from my Genie. I believe this failure happens with fixed and rolling code capable head units.

Summary, this appears to be an FCA issue and they need to explain what is going on and how to fix the issue. They must already do extensive lab testing on their design and know signal strengths. They must test while introducing all kinds of frequency interferences in the various FCA vehicles they place their version of Homelink. They know or should know about this weakness in our RAMs.

We shouldn’t be blaming issue on faulty head units, LED light bulbs, and other interference issues. Too many of us have this common problem.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a new Chamberlin opener and it was difficult to open with the home link on both my and my wife's car. Found a YouTube on using coaxial cable. Strip to copper wire and attach it to the opener antenna, then run it to the outside, exposing the copper wire. I drilled through the garage door header, ran the coax flush with the outside and had about an inch or so of exposed copper wire. That worked great, no issues now. Garage door opens with no frustration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio