Homelink upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
The homelink unit has a compass. Also the wiring was there for the compass unit and plugged into the homelink module just like the compass module...

You do not have to program for the homelink module. If your compass module worked, the homelink module should work if it is functioning correctly.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As Site-r stated if the truck came with an overhead console the CV2 code is already enabled in the BCM. It's a simple plug and play upgrade. Where the confusion comes is from people installing a 2012 or earlier Homelink in a 13 or newer truck. The 12 and earlierHomelink will not work in the 13 and up trucks. Wrecking yards and Ebay have them listed incorrectly all the time. Make sure you know what year truck it came out of. In the 13 up trucks the message will show up on the 3.5 EVIC as well as the 7" .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RonVez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey
Updating that got the HomeLink working in my 17
New install of OverHead Console so needed to activate the OverHead Module with the AlfaOBD
HomeLink/Compass all working

Car Config change....Lin and Misc-Electronic Overhead Module(EOM).... value,YES

Good Luck.......

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Still no luck in programming the Homelink.
I have a 1992 Liftmaster garage door opener (41A4201-5).
It has no rolling code and a 390mhz transmitter.
(Original remote got lost, so just 2 different aftermarket units.)

I really tried everything!
Homelink justwon't pick up the damn signal from the remote.
I always get the "Channel 1 not trained" error message after a minute of "training". :(
I have 2 early '80s Chamberlain GDO programmed to my 15 RAM. I don't know the frequency but I do know that it programs with a replacement Genie remote. So far I programmed: '11 Challenger with Homelink upgrade, '13 Dart with OEM Homelink, '15 RAM with Homelink upgrade, '02 Monte SS, and '00 Cirrus with OEM Homelink in the sun visor.

If you dont have the learn button on the GDO, just hold your working remote next to the Homelink. Hold the button on the remote and hold the HL button you want to program. You might need to erase existing codes from the HL by holding down buttons 1 & 3 until it gives you an indication that the codes have been reset.
Good luck!

Check out this link for more info: https://homelink.com/home/welcome

Last edited:

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
390 Mhz must be fine!

It must be between 288 and 433Mhz :

As long as the garage door opener is in the same frequency band (288-433 MHz), HomeLink® can be programmed to this older unit. However, frequencies of some older openers can shift outside of the HomeLink operating band, and become incompatible. The best way to program an older garage door opener is: 1) Put new batteries in the original transmitter and 2) Hold the original transmitter between one and three inches away from the HomeLink surface until HomeLink learns the signal (refer to our programming section for complete instructions).

If HomeLink has not trained within a few seconds, position the original transmitter at different distances and angles.

If these suggestions do not work, you may have a problem with the garage door opener itself. If you chose to contact a garage door opener service technician, be aware that, under FCC regulations, they or anyone else are unable to service the device if it was manufactured before 1982. Many garage door openers manufactured before 1982 do not have the safety stop-and-reverse feature which is now required by law. Some states (NY, IN, CA, MN) require service technicians to totally disable the opener if they find it to be malfunctioning.

JRs 17 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My question is do you have to replace the console or is there a panel that pops out when the homelink is installed?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is do you have to replace the console or is there a panel that pops out when the homelink is installed?
The black panel actually pops out of the tan surround bezel but your best bet is to just find one that is complete on ebay and switch out the whole unit. There is no panel that pops out of the overhead without the homelink. You may be able to cut the correct opening but it would be easier to just but one with Homelink. You can usually pick one up for around $100 complete. It's a plug and play swap. As long as your truck came with the overhead console the correct CV2 sales code is already enabled in your BCM. If you don't have a power slider just pop the dummy plate out of your old one and pop out the power slider switch out of the new one and swap them. Remember if you buy one the 13 to 18 trucks are different than the 09 to 12 trucks and they are not interchangeable.

Tketten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going to try to add overhead console to my express does not have any now but does anyone know if the wires are above the headliner.Ihave to cut the headliner out I believe there a pocket already there to put a console in. Any help would be great

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7

Zenitram1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey
New install of OverHead Console so needed to activate the OverHead Module with the AlfaOBD

Good Luck.......

Can I do this with a tuner? Just bought one and can't afford an OBD right now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
one little note:

Don't park your Ram inside the garage when you are trying to program the buttons on the Homelink
The instruction reads that the vehicle had to be outside of the garage, i parked my Ram as close to the garage as possible & it worked.
If i did not have to climb off the step ladder & and scurry across the garage & hop into the Ram, it could have been done on the first try
2 people make it so much easier

Another thing, shut off any LED light bulbs in your garage before attempting to program your Homelink
LED bulbs conflict with the Homelink signal

Last edited:

Zenitram1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey

Good Luck.......
Can I do this with a EZ Lynk tuner? I have one on the way?

Zenitram1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey

Good Luck.......
Can you help me out please. For the life of me I cannot find the "Lin and Misc" selection on my alfa OBD. Please help.

Zenitram1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As Site-r stated if the truck came with an overhead console the CV2 code is already enabled in the BCM. It's a simple plug and play upgrade. Where the confusion comes is from people installing a 2012 or earlier Homelink in a 13 or newer truck. The 12 and earlierHomelink will not work in the 13 and up trucks. Wrecking yards and Ebay have them listed incorrectly all the time. Make sure you know what year truck it came out of. In the 13 up trucks the message will show up on the 3.5 EVIC as well as the 7" .

Rick I believe I bought one from the older model. Thank you. This is the last solution I can think of.

Zenitram1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks a ton. Ordered another used homelink confirming it came from a newer truck and it worked. Thank you. I don't know why the dealership told me I needed a new harness.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963