Hood Latch Cable Disconnected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NicM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I've been lurking here for a bit since I got my Ram 3 weeks ago.

Well, today I had the hood open, closed it, and carried on with my day.
I needed to throw some washer fluid in er so I pulled the interior release and the cable kind of sprung out. It just kept pulling out.

I'm guessing it (somehow) disconnected from the latch itself, I don't believe it broke as there was no resistance when I pulled on it.

It's a 2017 5.7 hemi, stock front end, no after market grille or anything.

Has this happened to anyone? I have no idea how I'm going to get this thing open.

Last edited:

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope never heard of that part failure. But should not be hard to repair or very expensive either... :cheers:

OP
OP
N

NicM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the repair should be easy enough, and not hard on the wallet at all. It's getting to the repair part that I'm scratching my head at.

I guess I'll jack it up this weekend and see what I can do.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
I had the release cable break on my 2001 Chevy S10. It had broken where it attached to the handle. I cut back the cable sheath and used vise grips to grab and pull the cable to release the hood latch.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
The main thing to check first is if the cable is still connected to the release handle or not. If it is then you are going to need a coat hanger to reach through the grill to grab the release mechanism.

OP
OP
N

NicM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It feels like it slipped out. Again, not sure how the hell that could've happened, but it appears at though it did.
The cable just kept coming out further and further when I pulled.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like a break inside the cable. Push-pull cables have a core that moves within the casing, more than likely it snapped.
You'll probably need a new cable.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
It feels like it slipped out. Again, not sure how the hell that could've happened, but it appears at though it did.
The cable just kept coming out further and further when I pulled.

Sounds like a break inside the cable. Push-pull cables have a core that moves within the casing, more than likely it snapped.
You'll probably need a new cable.

Yeah, you will need a new cable. I recommend trying to take a look through the grill to see if you can see the latch and if the cable is still connected. If it is you might be able to pull the cable out of the sheath and through the grill so you can pop the hood.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
@NicM keep us posted and if you have any questions you can always PM me. I've had to go through stuff like this before when I worked as an automotive mechanic and would be more than willing to walk you through getting it fixed without damage.

OP
OP
N

NicM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it.
I used two air bags (I'm an automotive locksmith) and a bent piece of aluminium rod.
I bagged it, just enough to see the silver part of the latch where the cable connects, slipped the rod through, released the air from the bags and then pulled. No damage.
Phew. I was sweating on this one.
$120(Canadian) for a replacement steel cable. No thanks, gonna rig something up now.

Thanks for the input fellas!

20200730_155426.jpg

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Glad you got it open. If you can find a brake cable for a bike, you should be able to connect it to the latch and have the other end somewhere you are able to get to. Or possibly get it into the cab and to the release lever.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I used to make marine control cables and I'm thinking a 2" travel bulkhead to bulkhead cable of the right length would work.
Go to a marine supply store and see what they have. 4 or 5 ft should be enough.

RamRod2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im dealing with the exact same problem. Any one else have this issue and fix it?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963