Hood Vibration or Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
On my 2021 2500, I can see the hood lift when I get passed by a semi headed the other way on a 2 lane highway. First time this happened I pulled over to check that the hodd latch was properly engaged. Everything was buttoned up.

I have been reading on another Dodge forum tat this is very common since RAM went to the aluminum hoods. From the posts on there some have this issue all the time above 70 miles an hour. Therer were a number of suggestions to fix or reduce the issue, like gluing 1/8" tabs on the outboard, non-adjustable hood supports, tightening and aligning the hood better etc, but no universal fix. I have never seen it or a fix discussed here.

TSB from RAM

Here is one post from that thread

I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Ram Laramie Off-road Black Edition on Sept 21, I noticed mine doing the same thing. When you passed a semi or other large vehicle it got worse. On the Gen 5 1500 forum they talk about this issue and there is a TSB out for this issue on theirs but not ours yet. The TSB states that the issue is that the hoods cross brace is not attached to the hood except for at the four corners. The cross brace is stamped steel and the hood is aluminum, obviously two metals you can’t weld together. The TSB states the fix is to install body bonding adhesive, in I think it was 13 locations, between the cross bracing and the hood. It says not to close the hood or drive the vehicle for 24 hours while the adhesive cures. I checked several older trucks, including my 2006 that I traded in for my new truck, and the cross brace was attached to the hood at all four corners and at the center location. So I took the 1500 TSB with me to my dealership and told them mine was doing the same thing. I gave them a copy of the TSB and they reached out to FCA and after a couple of days FCA told them to go ahead with the fix on my truck. It’s a cheap fix, a tube of body bonding adhesive, new clips that hold the hood insulation in and a couple of man hours to do the work. Once the work was completed I took my truck out on the interstate and went 70 mph for a bit and passed several semis to test the fix. The fix worked beautifully, my hood no longer shakes or lifts looking like it is ready to fly up. Just as an FYI... I have a great reporte with my dealership and they told me they went back and fourth with FCA several times before they threw in the towel and told them to go ahead and fix it. At one point they told the dealer that they couldn’t even find their own TSB but my dealership pushed back and FCA caved.

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
IS anyone else seeing this on their 2500s?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I just did a quick search using "hood flutter", there are a bunch of guys who've posted up about this.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have this issue on my 2020 2500 tradesman. Like OP the first time I noticed it I pulled over thinking my hood was unlatched, it was tight. That was 30k ago no issues yet with daily freeway driving.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same issue when I owned my Roudh 5XR Mustang..put in hood pins..worked and looked great…sold the 5XR and got my Warlock…happier !