Hooking up a backup/reverse camera to the wiring under the hood How To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techie1961

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I searched for hours and got very frustrated so thought that I would share the solution to hooking up a reverse/backup camera to the wiring harness on my 05 Dodge Ram 1500.

I didn't want to run a wire from the tail light as I don't like to put much under the truck due to the harsh environment that it has to live in. I didn't have a choice with the backup camera cable but there had to be a better way to do it than running from the rear of the truck.

If you undo the screw and push pin in the Fuse and Relay Center box (see photo), it will slide over (there are two pins that go through keyholes in the wall of the battery box) to the centre of the engine bay and you can get access to the bottom of it. The last fuse (38 I think) is for the backup lamps. On the underside, you will see a white wire with light green (skinny) tracer on it. There are two (there are actually many but two with green tracers) so you need to make sure it is the correct one. This should have power when the reverse lights are on. You will need to have the engine running and in reverse.

I cut the wire and put in a coupling. I siliconed the ends of it to keep out the water. I then ran the wire through the hood release grommet on the firewall.

I hope that this helps someone so they don't have to waste hours like I did.

WP_20140702_21_17_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20140702_20_42_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20140702_20_42_39_Pro.jpg

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hooked my camera to the 7 pin on the back of my truck, I activates and sends the signal up through the video cable. I did not need to bring it all the way to the front of the truck. 08 1500 white/green

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I searched for hours and got very frustrated so thought that I would share the solution to hooking up a reverse/backup camera to the wiring harness on my 05 Dodge Ram 1500.

I didn't want to run a wire from the tail light as I don't like to put much under the truck due to the harsh environment that it has to live in. I didn't have a choice with the backup camera cable but there had to be a better way to do it than running from the rear of the truck.

If you undo the screw and push pin in the Fuse and Relay Center box (see photo), it will slide over (there are two pins that go through keyholes in the wall of the battery box) to the centre of the engine bay and you can get access to the bottom of it. The last fuse (38 I think) is for the backup lamps. On the underside, you will see a white wire with light green (skinny) tracer on it. There are two (there are actually many but two with green tracers) so you need to make sure it is the correct one. This should have power when the reverse lights are on. You will need to have the engine running and in reverse.

I cut the wire and put in a coupling. I siliconed the ends of it to keep out the water. I then ran the wire through the hood release grommet on the firewall.

I hope that this helps someone so they don't have to waste hours like I did.
engine don't have to be running for Reverse lights to be on just the switch in run Position

Last edited:

MasterMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's also a purple/black wire in the harness running up the a-pillar to the rearview mirror. Saves you from running it to the engine bay.

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's also a purple/black wire in the harness running up the a-pillar to the rearview mirror. Saves you from running it to the engine bay.

Mike, that purple/black wire is tied into reverse wiring and can be used to activate the camera?
My monitor is in my aftermarket rear view mirror and would be perfect!!

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hooked my camera to the 7 pin on the back of my truck, I activates and sends the signal up through the video cable. I did not need to bring it all the way to the front of the truck. 08 1500 white/green

I tried the white/green wire in the 7 pin connector on my 04 and haven't had any luck getting the camera working yet.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I like my YADA Backup System since it uses a bluetooth connection. The camera has a ground wire and a power wire. they are both connected to the wires going to either one of the backup lights. The monitor has a power cord that plugs into the cigar lighter. No wires to run up to the front of the truck.

Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My white with green tracer is activated by the brake. 04 Ram with Cummins

gakeller89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Few months late on a follow-up, but I wanted to chime in since I just did this--2003 SLT. I used the Purple w/ black tracer wire, both in the rear and under the a-pillar. A volt meter was necessary for me. The one in the rear was the only one (it was running to the driver-side tail light, not sure if the same for the passenger side.) There are 2 such wires under the a-pillar. One was giving erratic voltage readings regardless of situation, and the other was obvious with an increase in voltage when switching into reverse with either the truck on or in the run position.

Just for clarification for those needing it, the volt meter probes are sharp enough to puncture the wire, simply do that with the positive lead and ground out the negative lead somewhere (I chose the bolt on the driver's seat bracket). Be careful not to use your finger to apply pressure against the wire to puncture it, you'll stab yourself haha.

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Few months late on a follow-up, but I wanted to chime in since I just did this--2003 SLT. I used the Purple w/ black tracer wire, both in the rear and under the a-pillar. A volt meter was necessary for me. The one in the rear was the only one (it was running to the driver-side tail light, not sure if the same for the passenger side.) There are 2 such wires under the a-pillar. One was giving erratic voltage readings regardless of situation, and the other was obvious with an increase in voltage when switching into reverse with either the truck on or in the run position.

Just for clarification for those needing it, the volt meter probes are sharp enough to puncture the wire, simply do that with the positive lead and ground out the negative lead somewhere (I chose the bolt on the driver's seat bracket). Be careful not to use your finger to apply pressure against the wire to puncture it, you'll stab yourself haha.
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but where did you actually run the wires from out of the cab to the tail? I have an 03 SLT as well, but can't figure out how to get the cables to the outside of the truck.

gakeller89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but where did you actually run the wires from out of the cab to the tail? I have an 03 SLT as well, but can't figure out how to get the cables to the outside of the truck.

I'm gonna assume you're talking about the video feed wire from the camera itself. I just ran it up with other wires heading up towards the front of the truck, into the engine bay, & then through the firewall with other wires. My video feed wire is insanely long haha. If that doesn't work for you, then just find a safe spot on the floorboard & drill a hole to feed it through & be sure to caulk/seal it.

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks. Sorta figured it. There was a little plug near the driver's side door that just punched a hole in. The video cable was actually too short - had to buy an extension.

Kenny P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m trying to get to the reverse wire under the fuse box. I read that I needed to tap into the white with green tracer or purple with black. My problem is with the truck running or just turned on lm not getting my test light to come on. Touch the fuses or the battery it lights up. Any idea
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963