Horn on Lockup via FOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glickgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there ANY way to turn off the horn alert when I lock my '97 RAM1500 via the FOB?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yes. My memory isn't the greatest, but I've done this for several people with older Dodges and there is a way to do it. Try a quick internet search. It's really easy to do. Sorry I can't remember the specific instructions, Good luck

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You might get better answers in the 2nd gen section....

OP
OP
G

glickgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. My memory isn't the greatest, but I've done this for several people with older Dodges and there is a way to do it. Try a quick internet search. It's really easy to do. Sorry I can't remember the specific instructions, Good luck

Thank you - I’ve tried the protocol in the owners manual which does not work using either of the two fobs.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m confused - why would the 2nd gen folks know more about a 3rd gen vehicle than 3rd gen owners?

Yes, you really ARE confused, because you asked about a 97 Ram......which is a 2nd gen. Reread, hoss. Try again.

Is there ANY way to turn off the horn alert when I lock my '97 RAM1500 via the FOB?

[emoji848][emoji848]

OP
OP
G

glickgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, at least I was right about being confused - my RAM is a 2007 and not a 97.

The programming instructions in the book both for disabling the horn and/or the parking lights does not work.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2003, if I keep the button pressed while locking or unlocking the horn does not sound. Just the lights flash.

Try the long press. My remote is labeled Karr

Not sure if its the same for later years.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, at least I was right about being confused - my RAM is a 2007 and not a 97.

The programming instructions in the book both for disabling the horn and/or the parking lights does not work.
If you know anyone with a Starscan or AlfaOBD it's an easy fix.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Yep AlfaOBD will do it, or a dealer that still has the old starscans and someone who knows how to use it. Their Wi-tech scanners are supposed to support everything down to 2006 now, but it didn’t seem to like my ‘06 much at all last time I tried

Personally, I’d just say read up on Alfa and buy a scanner and the app because you can do just about anything the dealer can do. Also the added benefit is you don’t have to pay the dealer for each setting you want to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep AlfaOBD will do it, or a dealer that still has the old starscans and someone who knows how to use it. Their Wi-tech scanners are supposed to support everything down to 2006 now, but it didn’t seem to like my ‘06 much at all last time I tried

Personally, I’d just say read up on Alfa and buy a scanner and the app because you can do just about anything the dealer can do. Also the added benefit is you don’t have to pay the dealer for each setting you want to change

Makes me wonder, considering how easily one can get AlfaOBD and the dongle to go with it how many people have royally screwed up their cars requiring a trip to the dealer lol? I've seen some firsthand evidence of this on the Charger forums.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Makes me wonder, considering how easily one can get AlfaOBD and the dongle to go with it how many people have royally screwed up their cars requiring a trip to the dealer lol? I've seen some firsthand evidence of this on the Charger forums.

Thats a really good question lol. So far nobody in the 2006-2012 Alfa thread has done anything too daring, especially with the 3rd gens. I’d LOVE to go thru and see what works and what doesn’t, but knowing the dealership can’t even do a simple reflash with these trucks has me really worried that I’d be f***ed if I broke anything lol

I went into two different dealers about a month ago, and their wi-techs could only connect to the PCM. Thats all well and good but my TIPM has been throwing a trouble code for years because the VIN isn’t programmed properly and there’s no dealer that can even connect to fix that lol

OP
OP
G

glickgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow up - Took my 07 to the dealer today who had it fixed in 3 minutes at no charge. He also modified the FOB lock function so that one click unlocks all doors.

Kudos to Christopher Dodge in Golden, CO.

Thanks also to everyone who chimed in.