How are the heavy-duty, "cow rated" bumpers/brush guards mounted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
Looking at used brush guards cause I like the look... which is good cause that's basically all they're good for. Are the big bumper replacements just mounted via the oem bumper mounts or are there aditional mounting spots added? I imagine that the shape of the aftermarket bumpers is where the majority of their strength comes from. If I end up getting one fabbed, I'd be interested to see if I can get something "cow rated" but maintain the stock look. Something that involves drilling holes in the stock bumper and running 4"ish tubing in front, behind, through the stock bumper so it looks like a brush guard instead of a completely aftermarket bumper.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Brush guards or bumpers or combination? I put on front end guard because of so many deer up here in upper midwest. These mount to the frame rails where the tow hooks go.

2017 Ram 2500 Grill Guard.jpg

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
bsd101bl1-582078715.jpg
I was under the impression that this is basically the only thing that is as tough as it looks.

All the brush guards I'm finding look like yours. They only mount UNDER the bumper with a couple bolts. That makes it seem like it would just bend right in if anything half way substantial bumped into it. Is the stock bumper good for a deer hit? If so, all I'd have to worry about is the lights and grill.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Right - there a a number of all-in-one integrated front ends - I didn't keep any of those contacts because I'm not going through stump fields and such.

The one I put on is the most substantial of the guard-only group, attaching to the frame, with a bunch of bolts. It can take a good impact. Probably not a cow or moose, though.

Stock bumper is not good for a deer hit on highway speed.

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
476FEDF3-D252-4FCA-9081-ECE8729A6102.jpeg
Here’s a pic of a westin I found for sale. Wrong truck, but shows the mount. Does the mount on this look flimsy or is it good for deer? Looks to me like you shouldn’t lean on it too hard.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My guard has four mounting points with multiple bolts. The picture above only has two point.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "grille guard" in your pictures is just for decoration. The Ranch Hand picture is also of a "grille guard" that also replaces the factory bumper but offers no additional bumper protection. Definitely no match for any cow above 50mph. I have a Ranch Hand bumper on my '96, built in '96, and the main structure is C-channel. Held up a few times against deer with minimal deflection.

Don't buy a "grille guard". Buy a bumper, that may or may not come with a grille guard.

...and to answer your original question about mounting, mine is bolted and welded to the frame.

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
It seems that up/down rotational force is the weak point on these things. later rotation isn't a problem cause the two frame rails are so far apart, but they're only a couple inches tall. I looked at some police push bars and it looks like they have some kind of clamp on actual bumper and attach the push bar down low and up high. There's probably aditional bracing on the bumper to get rid of that pesky crumple zone too.

Of course it's all moot now cause I scored what I'm pretty sure is an original Mopar brush guard that will be going on. Purely cosmetic, but there's a certain allure to OEM parts.
Push Bar.jpg