How can i get better gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sometimes you gotta slow down so you can check out what the neighbours are doing,lol. We do have lots of roads where you can find the top end though,one of these days i'll have to see what her Challenger will do with the limiter removed,lol. It was limited to 271kms/ 168 mph with the limiter in place,but i think it'll do a bit more now,:Big Laugh:
Sounds like fun! Enjoy but be safe.

Sluff Track

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking
Engine
?
Has anyone heard about or tried "AIRTABS"? They are also known as vortex generators, sometimes seen on semi trucks and trailers. The idea is to break up the trailing wind which sucks on the back of the vehicle. I have seen a few youtube vids on them and they seem to get good reviews.

(Image from iowa80.com)

Attachments

• 188038_2.jpg
    188038_2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 9

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Has anyone heard about or tried "AIRTABS"? They are also known as vortex generators, sometimes seen on semi trucks and trailers. The idea is to break up the trailing wind which sucks on the back of the vehicle. I have seen a few youtube vids on them and they seem to get good reviews.

(Image from iowa80.com)
Had them on an airplane once. They produce laminar air flow. They seemed to work well.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could dimple the body of your truck, like a golf ball. I heard that helps.

I don't want to buy less gas, I want to buy less expensive gas. As long as we consumers are willing to pay six dollars for gas, they’re going to keep raising the price.

I propose a boycott. For a little while at least. We all buy the absolute minimum gas you can get by with, until the price drops below three dollars. And when they start jacking the price back up, go back to Buying as little as possible.

Last edited:

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could dimple the body of your truck, like a golf ball. I heard that helps.

I don't want to buy less gas, I want to buy less expensive gas. As long as we consumers are willing to pay six dollars for gas, they’re going to keep raising the price.

I propose a boycott. For a little while at least. We all buy the absolute minimum gas you can get by with, until the price drops below three dollars. And when they start jacking the price back up, go back to Buying as little as possible.
I totally agree. I said the same thing to my coworkers the other day. We need to stop driving to send a message. Otherwise they will keep raising prices just like they have with almost everything since the pandemic.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Really the only driving I do much of is back and forth to work as it is...
I started cutting back on road trips when gas hit $3/gal

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
......I don't want to buy less gas, I want to buy less expensive gas. As long as we consumers are willing to pay six dollars for gas, they’re going to keep raising the price.

^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^

I think the main thing at play causing the demand to be high is everyone is sick of all the pandemic bullsh*t that has been going on.

I'm afraid that before too much longer, there will be a correction (hopefully not like '08), and that will maybe rein in prices a bit. I also believe that prices are being artificially manipulated.

I hope I am wrong, and November brings the relief we need.

XBrav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anybody done analysis on their MPG with varying octane? I've run 87 on my '09 1500 5.7 and I've averaged 17MPG with MDS disabled on long hauls (200+km) with no additional loads.

I'm seeing as high as a $0.20/l spread between 87 and 89 in Calgary today. I would need to see better than 18.7MPG really to make the price differential worth it. That being said, Costco sells 91 for the same price as 87 everywhere else. It really hasn't made much sense...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Been a while sine I had a HEMI but do recall I saw no mpg benefit between 87 & 89 when not towing, I learned that by controlling my right foot I could really improve my fuel mileage...