How can I get better l/100km -mpg. While towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Afternoon all been on this site for a year now and I have learned a lot from all of you

I have a 2018 Laramie 5.7 3:21 crew with 6.4 bed. yes I know the 3:21 isn’t the best to tow but I need to buy off the lot and to be honest I don’t tow that much. We drove from Canada to Disney Florida five weeks after I got the truck last year

When I am towing my 21ft Coachmen hybrid travel trailer maxed out weight at 55000 lbs. and with the kids dog coolers and other cargo I might hit 1200lbs approximately. I was abera

I have not done any mods to the I was thinking of putting air bags on the rear but not the compressor

many ideals how to I can get better milage

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I am towing my 21ft Coachmen hybrid travel trailer maxed out weight at 55000 lbs. and with the kids dog coolers and other cargo I might hit 1200lbs approximately.

Well 55000 lbs might be a bit much...lol
It's not so much the weight that costs you towing but the wind resistance. A truck has the aerodynamics of a cinder block, you put a trailer behind the truck that's like making it two block high.
Keep your speeds down not only for fuel economy but safety. If your trailer is 5500lbs, you've double the weight and length of the vehicle. It takes longer to stop and your ability to make evasive maneuvers is greatly reduced.
Air bags are nice to have to firm up the rear end but take the time to get your WDH set up correctly and load distributed properly.
Having a topper might help with the wind catching the trailer.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
By far the #1 thing you can do for better MPGs is manage your speed (other than stay home, of course :))

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a few things you can do to help with mpg that I've found when towing. I have a 3.21 as well and I tow a 6000lb 24ft tt.

1. Inflate the tires to 44psi cold
2. Properly inflate the trailer tires
3. Avoid ethanol if possible. Try to stick with 89octane.
4. Reduce speed to 60-65mpg.
5. Adjust the wdh properly.

And of course, avoid lifting your truck or running big AT tires.

In the end, you'll likely be doing 8-12mpg which is roughly half of what your truck is rated at empty (21kpg hwy). Remember you're pulling more then double the weight and much bigger surface area.

OP
OP
Toddbigboytruck

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes thank you all it is about this so I guess I been doing everything as good as I can. I carry a portable inflater with me and check the tires I am still running the factory tires

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have about 48 sq. ft. of sail behind you. If you get 10 mpg +/_ you are doing good. Just the nature of the beast.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yep, typical gasser trailer towing. It really does not matter which brand your doing it with either. They all will typically be between 8-12 mpg towing.

Be glad your not in a 2500 like mine or you'd be averaging 10-12 mpg average.....unloaded. No complaints, you gotta pay to play! My truck is a big beast and I love it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Having a topper might help with the wind catching the trailer.

Years ago my dad had a TT and pulled it with his old dually. He decided to buy a topper for it, one of the 'kick-roof' ones I called it that angled up higher than the cab. It DID help (of course a 454 back then got 11 empty and 10 pulling), he squeaked out an extra .5 mpg. So they do help, because they keep the airflow a bit more laminar between the truck and the trailer.

What he really gained though was a safe place to store bikes and the camp grill that kept them out of the weather, and we didn't have to clean them once we got where we were going.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yep, typical gasser trailer towing. It really does not matter which brand your doing it with either. They all will typically be between 8-12 mpg towing.

Be glad your not in a 2500 like mine or you'd be averaging 10-12 mpg average.....unloaded. No complaints, you gotta pay to play! My truck is a big beast and I love it.
+1
My 2500 CCLB 6.4 4X4 4.10's gets a combined 11 mpg. Empty. No trailer. Always. I love it every minute I'm driving it.

I'm almost 61 and I loved blowing away a big SUV with 4 20 somethings in it as he tried getting by me getting onto US 40W today! That big motor sounds beautiful when you have it just mashed to the floor. CAI and MF cat back helps. I didn't buy it for gas mileage. I bought it because I'm still 17 in my head. You just have to smile and forget about how thin your wallet gets twice a week. And next time you see the lite turn red way up ahead, and an F-150 is ahead of you, remember, speed up a little and hit the button twice, kicking it down 2 gears as you glide by him. His girl will love the sound! Enjoy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452