how cold are your cold starts and how do you prepare your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5m is over 16.4 ft. 39.37 inches to a meter,at least it was when i went to school
haha, I think we never talked about inches is school here in Sweden, but I have a bad memory + I was not aiming for precision, If I were I would talk mm (millimeters. 25.4mm per Inch) ;) Next time I will throw in a ~ before the foots :)

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change the oil today and add lubegard biotech, so I think I am ok for the winter months, so farr never use the heater the last 3 years,never go below-20C.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Change the oil today and add lubegard biotech, so I think I am ok for the winter months, so farr never use the heater the last 3 years,never go below-20C.
I plug my vehicles in starting at 0C on a timer. 2 hours at 0, 3 hours at -15, 4 hours at -25, and all night below -35. I run winter weight synthetic oil, 50 below coolant etc. The truck will start fine not plugged in, even at 40 below, but it is a whole lot easier on the engine, battery and other parts by plugging it in for 3 or 4 hours before starting it. It also means you can drive it right away, windows defog much sooner and you get cab heat almost right away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found a spare cord at work. Only 14 guage and 25' so it barely reaches as we have a back in to park policy, but I can plug in my block heater now. I'll bring a longer 12 guage one with a multi-plug end for the block heater and battery warmer next trip.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
crappy winter in kamloops bc ......again :( I've noticed my truck prefers being plugged in around minus eight or so.....somewhat lower than recommended. Still complains from time to time, can't blame it :)

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a spare cord at work. Only 14 guage and 25' so it barely reaches as we have a back in to park policy, but I can plug in my block heater now. I'll bring a longer 12 guage one with a multi-plug end for the block heater and battery warmer next trip.
sarcasm

Crappy life pro tip, use an undersized extension cord and the cord will melt the snow/ice around it for you and keep from freezing up.

/sarcasm

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
sarcasm

Crappy life pro tip, use an undersized extension cord and the cord will melt the snow/ice around it for you and keep from freezing up.

/sarcasm
The cord I have is under sized for my liking, but 14 guage is what's in the walls of houses for 15 amp circuits so I'm pretty far from overheating a cord. Line loss is minimal on a 25' cord pulling 8 amps I only lose about 3 volts and I think the block heater on the rams is closer to 7 amp than 8. If I grabbed an 18 guage cord or something ridiculous from the dollar store then we could probably melt some snow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio