How Difficult Is It To Change The Fuel Filters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not a fan of the Fumoto for farm / off road truck. Saw one get knocked off by a branch on the farm. All the oil came out pretty quick. I suppose they would be OK for a pavement queen.
Yeah, on the Ram Cummins, the Fumoto is a bit exposed for off roaders. I put one on my 18 2500, but replaced at the next oil change with the low profile No-Spill.
The low profile No-Spill valves look interesting. $45 + the drain hose seems a bit pricey to not get a little bit of oil on my hand.
It's not so much about oil on my hands as it is not having to have a giant oil pan, and not having to drain/clean said oil pan. With the above systems, you drain straight into the containers you take in for recycling.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
A 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan is the best way. I dont like the valves on engines with a bottom drain. Rear drain would be fine.

DANNY2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is not that difficult tedious but not difficult , youtube has videos .

pakuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The socket size us 28mm or you can use a 1 1/16 socket

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The socket size us 28mm or you can use a 1 1/16 socket
28mm if you need to buy , and six point , not 12 . 28mm is the best fit . 1 1/16 is too small , 1 1/8 works , but I’d rather use 28 mm.

When taking off that front filter cap , steady pressure , they are usually pretty snug on there especially if a dealer has done them .

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I just changed both of mine this past Friday. They weren't difficult at all, really. They were pretty tight from the factory, but I got them changed without any problems, and not too much of a mess.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Yep. The socket can be had from Geno's Garage. Maybe the wrench too?
Yeah, I got my socket from Geno's and it works perfectly. Makes the job easier.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Any 6 sided 28MM socket will do the trick. I bought mine as a single from Canadian Tire. Snapon, Craftsman, Grey etc all make one.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
For the front filter, you will find that there is a drain tube that doesn't really go far enough down to be able to drain the fuel into a container without making a mess. I just took some extra tubing and attached it with an inline connector so I could route the newly-extended tubing down and let the filter drain into a container, without making a mess all over the front axle.

You can attach a piece of tubing to the rear filter too, but in my experience, it doesn't completely drain the filter housing, so you will want to put a big drip pan under your work area to catch the fuel that will come out when you take the filter housing lid off. Also, watch out for the fuel that will hit your driveshaft and splash so it doesn't get in your eyes.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
A washer fluid jug with the top cut off fits perfectly on top the driveshaft and against the fuel tank directly under the water seperator. Open the drain and leave it open. Once you crack the filter loose off the housing the majority of it will drain into the jug. Cleanest way I've found to do it.

DepotBo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
A washer fluid jug with the top cut off fits perfectly on top the driveshaft and against the fuel tank directly under the water seperator. Open the drain and leave it open. Once you crack the filter loose off the housing the majority of it will drain into the jug. Cleanest way I've found to do it.
1683810261853.png

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I am due to fuel filter change soon--and there are 2 filters on the CTD. Not sure what the Dealership would charge but I bet it would be pricey. Anyone here change fuel filters at home and if so, what is your experience?

Thank you!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I do it since I can do it and save about $200. (savings with Fleetgard filters and self labor)
I get the fleetgard filters from the local Semi shop. Found out later the Genos filter price is a bit cheaper even with shipping, but not enough to not buy local.
Front FS53000 replaces Mopar 68157291AA
Rear FS20089 replaces Mopar 68197867AB (non cartridge version)

Plenty of youtubes on it.

CTA Tools 7888 Cummins Fuel Filter Canister Socket - 28mm
YANWEN 34900 Professional Water Sensor Wrench.

I'm old, short and fat and it's a PITA. I have to climb on top of the fender/engine to get to the drain. Speaking of drain, the short arsed tube they put on it just drains the fuel all over everything. Replaced with a longer one. The back filter is just high enough to be out of reach, lying on my back on the floor, to comfortably try to get the big arsed filter wrench on it. I put the rear tires on ramps And speaking of the wrench, get a new filter and make sure the wrench fits. The filter is a fatty.

Yea it's a major PITA for me, but the $$ saved on it keeps me doing it

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I do it since I can do it and save about $200. (savings with Fleetgard filters and self labor)
I get the fleetgard filters from the local Semi shop. Found out later the Genos filter price is a bit cheaper even with shipping, but not enough to not buy local.
Front FS53000 replaces Mopar 68157291AA

Plenty of youtubes on it.

CTA Tools 7888 Cummins Fuel Filter Canister Socket - 28mm
YANWEN 34900 Professional Water Sensor Wrench.

I'm old, short and fat and it's a PITA. I have to climb on top of the fender/engine to get to the drain. Speaking of drain, the short arsed tube they put on it just drains the fuel all over everything. Replaced with a longer one. The back filter is just high enough to be out of reach, lying on my back on the floor, to comfortably try to get the big arsed filter wrench on it. I put the rear tires on ramps And speaking of the wrench, get a new filter and make sure the wrench fits. The filter is a fatty.

Yea it's a major PITA for me, but the $$ saved on it keeps me doing it

Thank you! I am going to look into that. I'm willing to get a little dirty to save $200. In today's world, that's two full 32 gallon tanks of diesel. :)

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
It's not difficult. I just changed both of mine a couple of weeks ago. I get my filters as part of a kit from Geno's - oil filter, both fuel filters, and engine air filter, all Mopar. Just watch a few YouTube videos to get the tips and tricks of how to do it, and you will be fine.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ram switched the rear fuel filter starting with the '19 model year, it's just the filter element. If memory serves me correctly it's the same one as the EcoDiesel.
@Goose55 just need a strap wrench to loosen the housing then use a gallon Ziploc bag to catch the housing and fuel for a no mess change

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ram switched the rear fuel filter starting with the '19 model year, it's just the filter element. If memory serves me correctly it's the same one as the EcoDiesel.
@Goose55 just need a strap wrench to loosen the housing then use a gallon Ziploc bag to catch the housing and fuel for a no mess change
I couldnt remember what they did. I wish mine was like that. I keep wondering if one can be retrofitted. A $120 part, would be too easy and with my luck never work
1684374748683.png

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Added this kit in the back:
Diesel fuel filter kits

And thinking of removing front filter with kit at bottom of page on that link.

Still need to deal with filters above rear drive shaft as already mentioned. But if I remove front filter, no more leaning over fender either ;)