How Dirty is the Diesel Fuel I buy from Filling Stations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my Cummins 6.7 I change my oil every 12,000 miles. I pull a 28 foot gooseneck trailer and get 10 Miles Per Gallon.

With 12,000 miles @ 10 MPG that is 1200 GALLONS.

I cut my frame mounted spin on filter open to see how dirty it (and the front / motor - filter) were after 1200 Gallons.

Here is what I found -

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Nice visual example of why filter maintenance matters. Diesel varies a lot, too. You can go tens of thousands of miles without filter issues, or you can plug one with crap in a single fill up. I avoid low volume sellers where the fuel gets old. And at typical gas stations I drive on by if a tanker is dropping a load and stirring up any sediment in the tanks.

Mostly I buy my diesel at truck stops these days (60’ long rig) and I don’t worry about fuel deliveries there; those guys are dropping loads all the time. The mom and pop store in the backwoods that has six month old diesel is the place to stay away from.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So he didn't say that he had any fuel problems related to the dirty fuel filter. So what is the point? :crazy:
I'd be worried if the filters didn't get dirty and there were fuel problems.
I guess that's why these trucks have 2 fuel filters.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The reason why the filter is almost black is from the formation of asphaltenes. When the fuel is heated under high pressure as it goes through the fuel injectors, the diesel asphaltenes is formed in the fuel. This has been a known issue to happen since common rail high pressure injection systems starting being used.
Some sources of diesel fuel are worse that others, several years back there was several trucks reporting injection issues all within the same area of Pennsylvania at about the same time. Three different dealers with almost identical diagnoses, truck owners didn't cross paths either.
If your thinking you have that chunky of fuel going into the filter you may want to drop the tank and clean your lift pump.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mostly I buy my diesel at truck stops these days (60’ long rig) and I don’t worry about fuel deliveries there; those guys are dropping loads all the time. The mom and pop store in the backwoods that has six month old diesel is the place to stay away from.

Truck stops traditionally charge a higher cost per gallon, not unusual to see them anywhere from $.20 plus more per gallon over the street price. They cater primarily to fleet customers and reward buyers. You can't rule the backwoods dealers either, they may be the only point for fuel for miles around.

BubbaJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We have one station in my town that sells diesel to big trucks (has high flow nozzles and big sweeping back drive from them to navigate around the station without '4 wheeler' interference) I started filling there due to both of those reasons. Figured if they are selling 50-100 gallons of diesel to multiple trucks a day, their diesel must be fresh and clean. Even with an additive in my tank, every so often i would get a SES light pop up on my truck.

Stopped filling up there, and went to another station in town. Using the same additives in my fill ups, i haven't had a light pop up since (3 weeks), and this includes one fuel up when i was in northern michigan this past weekend

LeoC4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Other than old or dirty diesel, is the any difference between brands? For my gasser, I purchase ethanol-free and always seek out the few stations in Virginia that offer it. Other than the no-name providers (eg 7-11, Costco, etc) is there a reason to select certain brands?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When traveling, i alway buy my diesel at truck stops.
In the last few years i have noticed that more and more truck stops don't have diesel #2 at all, they have Bio Diesel instead
I won't use that crap, it messes with the fuel filters too much.

If you talk to truckers, you will find that almost all of the owner operators will only stop at stations that have Diesel #2
Where company owned trucks will buy any fuel that the fuel company that they are contracted with happens to carry

Pilot & Flying J truck stops carry Bio Diesel

Biodiesel causes Filter plugging and higher temp for gel forming are the primary. You may also note a slight drop in MPG.

Biodiesel is actually an ester, not a distillate. Esters are forms of solvent. This will actually clean your fuel system of deposits left from petro-diesel, that’s what causes the filter plugging.

Then there is the 1% or a bit more of water that is left in the biodiesel mixture

Last edited: