How do I get truck aligned properly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hit a curb a couple of years ago after a snow storm and can't seem to get truck aligned properly ever since. I discovered the a wheel in question (that hit curb) did new a new hub. However I've had this thing into the shop about a dozen times and no one seems to be able to align it properly. It ALWAYS pulls to the left. I had it to the dealer most recently and it seamed a lot better immediately afterwards. However after about a week it is back to pulling to the left and the steering wheel is noticeably of center. Whenever I take it in (even if it's just a few days later) the align will be out of spec.

Any idea what would cause this and how do I get it fixed?

2017 RAM 1500 big horn

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the alignment cams on either LCA turned to their maximum extent?

Does the truck have a lift or level on it?

2wd or 4wd? 1500 or HD?

OP
OP
N

nateo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are the alignment cams on either LCA turned to their maximum extent?

Does the truck have a lift or level on it?

2wd or 4wd? 1500 or HD?

No lift, everything stock. 1500, affirmative on the 4wd. I don't know about the cams as I know little to nothing about how to do a alignment. Would it say on my paperwork somewhere? I can try to find it or get a copy if that is critical data.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Kurek is right are the cams good? Cam tabs not bent or missing? Also if you take it to a different shop every time you are going to get different readings depending on the machine and how up to date they are. I've come across this before when I was working in a shop with aligners. Also if you can post up your results caster doesn't pull but camber and toe will.
Rotate your tires sometimes you can get a vicious radial pull just from tires. That said aligninging the truck won't make the pull go away but do it just in case. Front to rear rotation.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Don't know if this will relate, but, I had a hell of time keeping my Charger in alignment several different times.

After the upteenth time trying to get it right, discovered that the tie rod end was bent because a Ahole tow truck driver hooked on to it to winch it on to a truck one time. Maybe take a look and see if the tie rod isn't all henked up either. Especially on the side that took the hit.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about the cams as I know little to nothing about how to do a alignment. Would it say on my paperwork somewhere? I can try to find it or get a copy if that is critical data.

On our trucks most of the alignment geometry is governed by cams that move the lower control arms inward/outward (from center) at the front and rear of the arms.

The cams consist of thick washers with the center hole drilled off-center. They allow the alignment technician to wiggle the arm an inch or so side to side and that dictates basically everything about your alignment other than toe.

If your frame is straight, all your steering parts are within OEM specification etc. then those cams allow plenty of wiggle room for the alignment technician to get you dialed in to a good straight alignment.

If the alignment technician has used up all the wiggle room and still can't get it aligned then there's a possibility you have something bent way out of OE specification and we cannot guess at what that is. You will have to go to a frame shop (call up a local body shop and ask them if they can recommend a frame shop in the area, they will know)

Frame straightening is not as scary as it sounds but it does require specialized tools and experience.

IMG_5040x.jpg

OP
OP
N

nateo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really apricate everyone's advice. I have put all new tires since this issue has been occurring. They were supposedly fully balanced. I often give the full story to the front desk guy. Usually about a 5-10 minute story. I suspect it goes into the computer as " pulls left", without any back story. The thought crossed my mind about frame being bent, someone said unlikely at slow speed. Probably hit around 5-10 mph.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have to realign my truck every 6 months, it pulls to the right. On normal driving its hardly noticeable but when towing its noticeable enough that it is annoying, but not enough to be difficult to drive or anything.

I had the dealer look over everything the last time it was aligned and they could not find anything wrong. It only has 16k miles on it so I honestly do not know what else it could be.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thought crossed my mind about frame being bent, someone said unlikely at slow speed.

You could look at those alignment cams and see if any of them are at their full extent... or if you don't feel comfortable analyzing them on your own take a few photos which show them clearly and let Random Internet People Diagnostic Services take a crack at it.

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kurek is right are the cams good? Cam tabs not bent or missing? Also if you take it to a different shop every time you are going to get different readings depending on the machine and how up to date they are. I've come across this before when I was working in a shop with aligners. Also if you can post up your results caster doesn't pull but camber and toe will.
Rotate your tires sometimes you can get a vicious radial pull just from tires. That said aligninging the truck won't make the pull go away but do it just in case. Front to rear rotation.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Castor will cause a pull long before Camber will. Toe won't cause a pull regardless.

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Castor will cause a pull long before Camber will. Toe won't cause a pull regardless.
Tires will cause a pull before any adjustment will.

V delivery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a ram 2500 that pulls to the right. Numerous alignments and other things done to it. Bought the truck brand new and it has had the problem since day one. I took it to a body shop and had them measure the truck and found that it has a twisted frame and is deemed unsafe to drive. I am getting a lawyer and am looking for people who have same issue.

tr121336

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L - 360 cid
If steering wheel is off center when driving straight, try checking the rear axle alignment. If can be off causing you to counter steer to make up for the off tracking. Mine was like that. Was able to loosen up the leave springs (pins were not broken) sledge hammer to move forward or backward. Easy way to check, tape measure between front rim and rear rim. Measure both sides. Should be the same and should match wheelbase measurements.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a ram 2500 that pulls to the right. Numerous alignments and other things done to it. Bought the truck brand new and it has had the problem since day one. I took it to a body shop and had them measure the truck and found that it has a twisted frame and is deemed unsafe to drive. I am getting a lawyer and am looking for people who have same issue.
That could end up being the worlds most expensive alignment in terms of $ and time:

1) How are you going to prove the frame damage didn't happen in your ownership?

2) Did you get a detailed written second and 3rd assessment from different shops on the frame twist? Even a qualified Ram dealership's assessment. Might want to do that. It's one thing they're going to ask right off the bat.

3) How much for a shop to remove the body mounts and 'un-twist' the frame (if it is indeed twisted -- you got one assessment)?

You might unwittingly be embarking on a head-banging (on brick wall) exercise and roll up $10k in legal fees quicker than you think. Frames aren't that difficult to work with depending on what the damage is. Might cost you a lot less in the end to have it untwisted than lawyer fees, or just live with the 'pull' till you trade it off. Or cheaper yet, usually a guy can tweak caster and camber on one side to compensate for a slightly incorrect frame to mitigate a 'pull'.

Chrysler lawyers have 'heard it all' ...and every 200th owner (or whatever that number it is) gets a couple opinions at some shops, Youtube and online forums LOL) ...and suddenly they're wiser than the dealer, factory & engineers. Good luck though. Hope you get it resolved.

Last edited:

V delivery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The body shop that I took it to is the body shop that all the dealers use. There is not a dealer in this area that has their own body shop. The twist is not something that they can fix without messing up the integrity of the truck. they used the laser system to measure the truck and the only way that a twist that bad could have happened is if the truck was in a bad accident which if it was then there would be a record of it and the insurance company would have totaled the vehicle. I have documentation of the first time complaining of the pull was at 7K. They also did an alignment on it under warranty and tires and alignments and tires and alignments. The truck has under 50K on it and everything has been done to it to try and stop the pull and after taking it to the body shop and them giving me the printout and showing me what to look for and encouraging me to take pictures this is where we are at. It is clear that it is a factory defect and finding out that others have had the same problem makes for an interesting case.

V delivery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone who wants to know what the twist in the truck looks like just look at the picture of my truck. That picture was taken right after I bought the truck. If you notice the bumper on the truck has a really wide gap on one side and a very small gap on the other, that is the twist. I went to enterprise and took a picture of the front of a new Ram 2500 and the bumper is nice and even all the way across. There is no possible way to have a twist in the frame do to consumer negligence without significant damage elsewhere. If as some may have suggested the truck "hit a curb" the impact and rate of speed that it would take to twist the frame would have flipped the truck.