How do warranty maintenance costs factor in when buying from an out-of-state dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimk91

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new truck in 17 years, so I don't know if warranty maintenance costs are part of the negotiations or not. If I buy local, then I suppose I would take my truck to that local dealer for the warranty maintenance work, right? If so, how does one deal with warranty maintenance work when the truck was purchased a long way from home? Does one end up paying the going shop rate from a local dealer to have the maintenance work done? Back in 'the day', we did our own maintenance because it was so simple to do and with normal tools.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I haven't bought a new truck in 17 years, so I don't know if warranty maintenance costs are part of the negotiations or not. If I buy local, then I suppose I would take my truck to that local dealer for the warranty maintenance work, right? If so, how does one deal with warranty maintenance work when the truck was purchased a long way from home? Does one end up paying the going shop rate from a local dealer to have the maintenance work done? Back in 'the day', we did our own maintenance because it was so simple to do and with normal tools.
It is still pretty simple to perform your own maintenance. If you purchase an MVP, or Mopar Vehicle Protection plan, which is a maintenance contract for your new vehicle it does not matter which dealership you visit for your maintenance. They will all have the ability to perform your maintenance for you under the MVP plan purchased through FCA/Stellantis.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
It’s the manufacturer’s warranty not the dealerships. If you were on a cross country trip and had an issue you could take it to the nearest dealership, regardless of city or state you happen to be in, to have it taken care of. Same holds true if you buy it away from home. Your nearest dealership can handle the warranty work. Bear in mind though, dealerships are independent businesses. Some are better than others. Choose one you are comfortable working with.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do all my own maintenance, keep good records and have never had any issue with a dealer/factory giving me any grief. You can get your 'mainentance' done anywhere...certainly a dealer (and their typically sky-high prices) are not necessary. But good record keeping is necessary.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any Ram dealer has to honor the manufacturer warranty regardless of where you bought the vehicle. If you purchase an aftermarket extended warranty from one dealer then you need to read the fine print on where you can use that warranty.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Any Ram dealer has to honor the manufacturer warranty regardless of where you bought the vehicle. If you purchase an aftermarket extended warranty from one dealer then you need to read the fine print on where you can use that warranty.
Yes, that's what I have and if I'm within a certain distance (I think it's 50 miles) I have to go to that dealer. Outside of that I need to call to get an authorization number.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Warranty will be good at any dealer no matter where you buy it. I have bought out of state and never had a local dealer give me any grief

I drove to Texas to buy mine. It comes with free oil changes and tire rotations for the first year. If yours came with that, did you have to take it to that dealer or would other Ram dealers do the free stuff?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you register on the RAM dashboard it will show if you have free oil changes and tire rotations etc. It would show for any dealer that ran your vin whether or not you have them.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
zero. Some of the worst and over priced service has been performed at the dealer I purchased from. The exception has been the dealer in Newnan Peachtree. Exceptional service and customer support. My previous truck was not purchased there but all service was. I worked hard to buy my current 21 from them. 5 miles away. Good service is where you can find it.