How do you all jack up your lifted trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you all jack up your lifted trucks safely? I
Have used my floor jack on blocks and I do the same with my jack stands. I don’t like doing that and can’t afford an actual lift at the moment. I like to do a lot of my own maintenance, but hate having to block everything up. I am just wondering what you all do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
How do you all jack up your lifted trucks safely? I
Have used my floor jack on blocks and I do the same with my jack stands. I don’t like doing that and can’t afford an actual lift at the moment. I like to do a lot of my own maintenance, but hate having to block everything up. I am just wondering what you all do.

I'm a fighter jet aircraft mechanic, trainer, and focus on safety. Using jack stands even with blocks is better than not. The stands are so we don't put our trust in the Jacks. Jacks can fail, especially when leaving the truck weight with hydraulic pressure on the jack. Once my stands are in place I relieve the jack pressure. Now I do leave the jack just touching the truck.

Our jacks on the jets have a mechanical lock. This allows us to take the hyd pressure off once the jet is up on Jacks. The jacks are both Jack and stand. The point is to relive the hyd pressure from the jack.

Make sure you chock one or two wheels, even applying the emergency brake, when applicable.

Always use jack stands, the wood blocks are ok... Just so the truck isn't unbalanced. It is also better putting the blocks under the stand, not on the tops. I've seen many who put the wood on the top. That is ok, but placing the stand on the block is better. It'd be great if you had taller stands, esp if your truck is lifted really high. Adjust your stands extending the ram, using its lock.

Never jack and support more than 2 wheels at a time ..never one front... One back. When in the air, limit getting in and out of the truck. Years back, opening a door could cause the truck to very slightly twist. Not so much these days...

Be safe - doing our own maintenance is to be a but fun.

- g

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always use jack stands. I place them on top of blocks as well. I guess there really isn’t a better way to do it. I was just hoping for a solution that didn’t include 12” of blocks. Lol. Thank you!

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cheaper than a floor jack and effective. 15577521169546088458137369749849.jpg

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Something like this? Lol

View attachment 165865

this picture made me think of a story from many moons ago. i took tae kwon do and my instructor had just started up the school so he kept doing his old job on the side to make extra bread. heavy duty mechanic and he was working on the engine of a rig and for some reason was standing on what he said was a ball on top of some kind of jack. turned out it had grease on it and he slipped and dropped right between his legs on this ball. how he didn't break his pelvis i don't know but he was black and blue all the way up his torso from the trauma. he still kept instructing the class through his recovery. tough *******!

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The simple, safe way to get the extra height on a floor jack is with a saddle extender.
PE-EXT8-2.jpg

I don't think they're a universal fit kind of thing though. You might have to either make one or do some research to figure out which one will work for your jack. There are plenty of sources.
popup.aspx