How do you get the engine CLEAN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiger9297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I wash the engines in all of my vehicles. They are never greasy or oily, but even after I wash the engine, it still is not "like new" clean. You can still see dirt, etc on the hoses, wire loom, etc. I have sprayed degreaser, Awesome, and every other cleaner you can think of and then pressure wash it. I remember when I was in high school, I was looking at some used vehicles at the local Ford dealership. Those engines had been cleaned spotless. Hoses and all looked new. One thing they did, that I thought looked kind of cheesey was they sprayed some kind of clear coat all over everything. It gave it a real shine, but I don't really go for a shine on my engine so I'm ok with leaving that off. BUT the engine itself looked as close to NEW as possible. That's what I want, but I can't figure out how it's done. Any idea?

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i work at a detailing carwash and on engine details after powerwashing we use glass cleaner and armorall.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use simple green to degrease then spray lightly with water, cover up your alternator and battery with trash bags while doing this, then wipe it dry, then spray tire shine. :)

Burntfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great looking bay. How hard is it to keep up?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get bored one weekend, and take out the brushes, I scrub everything with Simple Green and gently rinse it off. (No high pressure).

I don't spill oil etc, so it stays pretty damned clean. It has been a nasty winter, and needs a good 'once over' again soon.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
armorall is for usedcar lots.

simply green, different sized brushes, light spray misting rinse - just like whiteexpress said

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
I only use adams stuff
Cleaning the Engine Bay Detailing Video

Mine always stays this clean

100_7715.jpg

And after about 5 weeks the red hoses dull some i just hit it with

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-517-adams-in-out-spray-dressing.aspx

Last edited:

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
ive all ways used a pressuere washer and kept the truck running cause you will know if your spraying water in the wrong place cause the truck will act up

did the whole cover stuff up thing once and had to wait for the truck to dry out for the day befor it would start so i allways keep it running now

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Armor All? In an engine bay?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Armorall is the devil!

armorall is for usedcar lots.

simply green, different sized brushes, light spray misting rinse - just like whiteexpress said

Yes it is. It looks good for about a day then its dusty as hell lol.

i didnt say i use it on mine lol, i just said thats what we use. it looks clean and shiny but yeah only lasts until you turn the car on. armorall doesnt touch my truck, i hate the way it feels, stays on your hands and collects dust like a magnet.

oggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I power wash mine all the time no bags covering anything No problems :)
Simple green or mean green or purple power works good

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i didnt say i use it on mine lol, i just said thats what we use. it looks clean and shiny but yeah only lasts until you turn the car on. armorall doesnt touch my truck, i hate the way it feels, stays on your hands and collects dust like a magnet.

If I was paying someone to detail my truck...I'd be pretty po'd if they used it.
Quality > quantity

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The majority of the people that I serve aren't like us. They let their kids throw food and soda all over the car and don't give a care, they just bring their car to us once it gets to a certain point. Its only their car til the newest model comes out or they get their next big bonus. This is the part of town where a customer will buy a complete detail($180.00) a week after the bought it from the dealer. Most of the engine details we do are part of complete detail packages and I've never actually seen any customer look at their engine after we detail it.

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
A Clean Motor is a happy motor

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
saw the video..... have you guys had trouble with your engine for spraying water in it. do you guys cover up anything in particular? i also noticed that in the pics posted, there aren't any water spots, do you guys dry it up too?