How do you get the engine CLEAN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
I use Simple green, rinse it off, use my compressor to blow the excess water off, wipe down then use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Does not have a "glossy" shine but it looks really clean. It's about 1000% better than Armor All .
303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303

Jay
PY, you probably already have, but, if you haven't, you MUST grab a bottle of the 303 "SPEED DETAILER" for the occasional exterior wipe down/touch up!

RED

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have washed my engine bays at the wand wash for 50 years. Spray on the degreaser, bug remover that comes out at pretty low pressure and let it sit while I wash the rest of the vehicle. Use the rinse mode to remove the degreaser. I don't cover anything but I also don't spray real close, just use the water at a distance to rinse. Then final is the spot free rinse. No water spots, clean engine. I then wipe hoses with silicone lube, and use that to lube hinges and hood latch.

Engine bay of our 1992 Forerunner - hasn't been cleaned in a couple of months.

1679146815075.png
1679146886601.png

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Mist with Purple Power. DO NOT let it dry, keep spraying until everything is wet. Soak for 3 minutes approximately. Rinse with garden hose. Blow dry and start vehicle until dry. Then I shut it off to cool, and must the entire engine bay with either silicone spray or in a pinch Tire Shine. Once a year keeps it like new and usually only requires a wipe with a towel to get back clean.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
FWIW the only aerosol foam degreaser that that I've settled on for engine bay maintenance is the Gunk "ORIGINAL" Engine Degreaser (and VERY specifically that aerosol only!!!!). Too often engine degreaser products are NASTY stuff, when coming into contact with paint or some plastics they WILL degrade them. That Gunk product will not. And yet does an outstanding job of cleaning the area you spray it on.

Just use your head, don't go spraying it all over (top of the engine) everything under the hood. I prefer the areas most grungy, usually on the sides of the engine and the bottom. I'll go in there with it on a semi annual basis. Simply spray the product where you want, let it soak, gently hose it off, then maybe take the truck for a few easy laps around the block to dry it all out. FYI, you WILL leave a nasty mess under the vehicle you just sprayed and rinsed this stuff off of. Personally I'd never do all this is right in my own driveway, just a recommendation.
20230318_072223.jpg

Last edited:

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
Mist with Purple Power. DO NOT let it dry, keep spraying until everything is wet. Soak for 3 minutes approximately. Rinse with garden hose. Blow dry and start vehicle until dry. Then I shut it off to cool, and must the entire engine bay with either silicone spray or in a pinch Tire Shine. Once a year keeps it like new and usually only requires a wipe with a towel to get back clean.

18CD, +1 on the Purple Power.

Another you might want to try, and it's a gallon concentrate, so you put it in a separate spray bottle with distilled water mixed to your own preferred ratio "strength"....

20230318_072414.jpg

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive all ways used a pressuere washer and kept the truck running cause you will know if your spraying water in the wrong place cause the truck will act up

did the whole cover stuff up thing once and had to wait for the truck to dry out for the day befor it would start so i allways keep it running now
There is actually a pictorial embossment on GM vehicles depicting a pressure washer wand with spray emanating forth. This is encircled with a slash going through the pictorial. Universal language for "Don't do this!"

I've seen many examples of high pressure water getting into places it doesn't belong in my 47 year professional career as a technician.

I use Purple Power. The grease and dirt literally melt off and leave clen behind. A low pressure wash is then all that is necessary! :)

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cleaners can be corrosive and accelerate the corrosion process. Simple green is one of them, unless you’re using the aircraft version of simple green.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Cleaners can be corrosive and accelerate the corrosion process. Simple green is one of them, unless you’re using the aircraft version of simple green.
+1 on that. I keep a gallon of the aircraft cleaner on hand for cleaning radiators.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using pressure washers is all about having a little (un)common sense. A pressure washer at 6” will do damage.

At 36” it’s just aerated fog which makes a very effective rinse.
"Gee! My gun was on safety!" "I can't figure out how it went off!".

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
F bomb wash it with car pro pink soap and pressure wash it.

Last edited: