How does AUTO 4WD work/what does it do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Going down roads, and speeding in the snow is great while your foot is on the gas, BUT, I don't care what transfer case you have, or how many wheels on the road, your going to SLIDE, and you CAN'T STOP! Just saying!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Going down roads, and speeding in the snow is great while your foot is on the gas, BUT, I don't care what transfer case you have, or how many wheels on the road, your going to SLIDE, and you CAN'T STOP! Just saying!
I put 1000s of km on icy highways and
Poorly maintained resource roads every year and 4wd with traction control keeps you from losing control under acceleration quite effectively. My studded snow tires and abs keep me under control braking quite effectively. Your definitely better off with them than without.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Reading all this "I'm disappointed by the RAM's transfer case" has me wondering. What do some of you expect from a transfer case that offers auto 4x4? You can not have gear engage drive in a system that offers auto 4x4, it has to be clutched.

My 2013 RAM is not my first rodeo with 4x4s, it is my first Chrysler product. Before the RAM I drove GM's and Ford's over the years. They all had 4x4 auto and they all worked parallel to my RAM.

I live mid-Michigan, 2.3 miles off paved roads on a private dirt road that is never plowed. My auto 4x4 has never failed me in the snow, ice, sleet, mud or whatever else Michigan roads can through at me. And, I have never burned up a xfer case either.

I think what is really broke here is RAM's inability to document how the system actually works leaving folks to start making assumptions leading to disappointments.

If you think you really want a locking transfer case, go drive a RAM HD and enjoy your steering binding. I would love to have the refinement of my 1500's transfer case in my 3500.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I see why Ram made this choice...

Look how many people are posting here that the "auto" is just fine. A lot of you guys must not actually live in places that need 4wd. The fact that 4wd is just a toy and not a necessity for most of you is probably why Ram put it in.

Go do some reading about traction, weight distribution, and racing. A lot of that applies to driving vehicles on snow and ice, even at lower speeds. If you're doing something in 2wd and suddenly 4wd kicks in, you might have unexpected loss of traction. Or if you're expecting to be in 4wd but for some reason the truck is keeping you in 2wd, more problems again.

Binding doesn't just happen on dry pavement. It happens on snow and ice, too. The difference is that the tire can slip over the surface, rather than gripping the road, causing you to feel the binding. That still translates to a loss of traction on snow, so it's silly to have it randomly kick on/off when you are already on the move. A wheel that's grabbing the snow just fine might suddenly lose traction due to binding, and now the handling characteristics of the truck are totally different than 1 second ago.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Reading all this "I'm disappointed by the RAM's transfer case" has me wondering. What do some of you expect from a transfer case that offers auto 4x4? You can not have gear engage drive in a system that offers auto 4x4, it has to be clutched.

I live mid-Michigan, 2.3 miles off paved roads on a private dirt road that is never plowed. My auto 4x4 has never failed me in the snow, ice, sleet, mud or whatever else Michigan roads can through at me. And, I have never burned up a xfer case either.

Bingo. I think the system works fine for most people, AND that most of the people who are MAD about having the "Auto" are people who never researched it and did not know what they bought.

If they needed a HD locking system, for farming, ranching, construction, rock climbing, whatever, they should have bought one.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. However it clearly says right on the 4wd switch "4Lock", not "4Hi" like the GMs do.

Same with me, I live in New England and my 44-44 has yet to do anything but work well and hasn't left me stranded. I do change the tcase fluid more frequently than is stated in the owner's manual just as a precaution.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Read carefully what CrispyBacon wrote!
I would like to add that on slippery roads the 4x4 should be remain locked as long you really need them locked
and not lock once your wheels are already slipping.
This system need too much wheel turn to activate and then you may are already stuck and i tried it on not very soft sand and got almost stuck.
Also the 4x start to bang, crack, grind when it's in use and cntinuesly engaging/disengaging and their brake controlled differential lock works
but still is a noisy and unhealthy system.
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer with a full time AWD and there is no noise/bangs/clunks when engaging/disengaging the 4x4 and i did a lot of crazy stuff with this car.
The other thing is the binding problem, i never drove a 4x4 car with such a strong binding problem and making noises like broken/worn cv joints when 4x engages.

It may be that the 44-44 transfer case works on snow, but i don't work well on mud and snow and there are severa persons the killed the trasfer case.

Chris

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My 2013 RAM is not my first rodeo with 4x4s, it is my first Chrysler product. Before the RAM I drove GM's and Ford's over the years. They all had 4x4 auto and they all worked parallel to my RAM.

I think what is really broke here is RAM's inability to document how the system actually works leaving folks to start making assumptions leading to disappointments.

If you think you really want a locking transfer case, go drive a RAM HD and enjoy your steering binding. I would love to have the refinement of my 1500's transfer case in my 3500.

I think the issue is, that people believed when they would go to "LOCK" it was a full 50/50 split, permanently engaged until taken out of "LOCK"

IT matters to some more than others, as many have noted on here. WHile not in a Ram, I had the same system in an Explorer Years ago, and I didnt like it. While obviously it must pass legal lingo in order to be described as such, it is deceptive at best and I think by using the word "Lock" you have buyers purchase a vehicle thinking it can do something it cannot.

I'll never own a vehicle with such a transfer case again.. I never have any issues with Binding in a traditional T-Case setup in 30+ years of adult ownership of various 4x4 vehicles.

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far (only one snow day in Long Island NY) my TC has worked perfectly fine. Most 1/2 ton trucks are used on road exclusively. I doubt most will have issues be it 2" or 3' of snow.

I do however absolutely understand the complaints about the false advertisement of the lock position. Just because most people do not have issues, does not mean it should happen.

I have been into heavy wheeling since I was a kid, from sand dunes when I lived in the middle east as a kid to black level rock climbing in PA/NJ/NY. This is the direction of all TCs, high end European SUVs have moved towards this years ago for better on road handling. There are very few non-HD vehicles left with locked TCs.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do some of you expect from a transfer case that offers auto 4x4? You can not have gear engage drive in a system that offers auto 4x4, it has to be clutched.

For me at least, I was expecting the system to work like the selec-trac in the grand Cherokee that I used to have. It was labeled as “full time” and “part time” rather than “auto” and “lock”.
The NP242 used for selec-trac had a lockable center dif that was open in full time mode(prevented binding on road). When either part time or LO were selected, the center dif was locked and it functioned just like a true part time case.

Ultimately it’s my fault for not researching the 44-44, but based on how it’s labeled/marketed, I was expecting functionality like the NP242.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, and here's a link to the video I was talking about.

it covers the Borg Warner TOD(Torque On Demand) cases, the 44-44 is in this category.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I ran my 2500 in 4 Lock all the way to work early AM Monday over 1-2 inches of packed down snow. Some areas were pretty slippery but I mainly just wanted to properly test the system for the first time. I honestly can’t recall feeling any binding at any point. Not trying to be argumentative, just what I experienced with my truck. The system worked great and the truck drove really smooth. Didn’t even feel any binding on sharper turns which I try to avoid in lock. I would say as long as you don’t run 4 lock on dry-ish pavement for a longer stretch I wouldn’t worry much about it. Maybe the Cummins trucks have binding happen easier due to their weight?

Now of course you don’t have to care about binding at all with a clutch pack. I think that is probably a big reason why Ram has gone with the 44-44 on ½ tons. I don’t even think the masses today understand you shouldn’t/can’t leave a gear or chain driven 4x4 in lock or it could do damage. Especially over time. And the Ram 1500 is one of FCA's highest selling vehicles. I can see someone, maybe a millennial (just making a joke, don’t get all offended lol), speeding down the highway in 4 lock and then their transfer case explodes. All manufacturers always have warnings in the manuals about not running in 4 lock on pavement but people never even read their manuals. But, not even just due to ignorance, sometimes people do throw it in 4 Lock and forget about it. Honest mistake.

I’m pretty sure I saw the new Wranglers have an Auto mode as well as a true locking (4H) mode. If so, hopefully they put that system in the next gen 1500.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran my 2500 in 4 Lock all the way to work early AM Monday over 1-2 inches of packed down snow. Some areas were pretty slippery but I mainly just wanted to properly test the system for the first time. I honestly can’t recall feeling any binding at any point. Not trying to be argumentative, just what I experienced with my truck. The system worked great and the truck drove really smooth. Didn’t even feel any binding on sharper turns which I try to avoid in lock. I would say as long as you don’t run 4 lock on dry-ish pavement for a longer stretch I wouldn’t worry much about it. Maybe the Cummins trucks have binding happen easier due to their weight?

You feel binding less the longer the wheel base. For example, when I had a wrangler on 35s', I would feel it anytime I was turning and any one of the front tires touched dry asphalt. Weight does come into play too. But, the Cummins should feel the same as yours.

I would imagine that some or part of the reason to move to this TC is the electronic steering. I know I had my steering rack changed 2 times on my 2003 1/2 ton in the 3 years I owned it. It was very common in the 3rd gen's, so I assume this was part of their move to correct this.

*Yes, I know the tradesmen models come with the locking 4wd system. But these typically are work trucks, where they are more likely to see dirt/mud work sites.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me at least, I was expecting the system to work like the selec-trac in the grand Cherokee that I used to have. It was labeled as “full time” and “part time” rather than “auto” and “lock”.
The NP242 used for selec-trac had a lockable center dif that was open in full time mode(prevented binding on road). When either part time or LO were selected, the center did was locked and it functioned just like a true part time case.

Same here. That system was very predictable. I'm sure it confused the heck out of a lot of people though and probably bound up on many. But if you knew when and how to use it, it was fantastic. And therein probably lies the problem.

I bet they had to use a 'clutched' system due to the traction control and the fact that now you have near 400hp engines.On the old systems, you spin yer wheels, they spin and nothing breaks. It's heavy duty enough to handle moderate binding. In a ram, the brakes apply to keep the wheels from slipping ..then some frustrated owners floors it in frustration to try to get unstuck, you could really damage something. Maybe clutching the transfer case is the 'circuit breaker' in the system?? Again, I'll keep an open mind, not having owned the 'Auto' system.

Yep, they put the standard old school transfer cases in the tradesman with the typical 4x4 'locked' transfer case. That's what I have. But it would be nice to have a transfer case with the old school jeep 'full time' option. If owners have a Tradesman with lever select, installing one might be an easy mod.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are Ford and Chevy doing the same thing? How can they claim to have a superior 4x4 system? Seems like a step backwards in real-world usability ....if I'm hearing you guys right.

The Small chebys use the same mp3023 auto transfer case as the Grand Cherokee QTII, but they provide more manual control than the traction software control of the Jeep. This case has a 2WD mode, A auto mode where the computer can vary the amount of power sent to the front, a lock mode where the clutches are held tight so the two drive shafts are locked together and a 4WD low mode where gear reduction and a splined shaft locks the drive shafts together.

I would have expected RAM to provide a similar case, perhaps without the variable lock feature, not the cheaper car AWD case they stuck in there.

I too, for years, routinely locked in 4WD when commuting 50 miles over varied traction conditions and interstates. No problem until one starts maneuvering in a parking lot. Those of us that understand how things work are quick to notice should you forget to pull out of 4WD into 2WD. The spouse and daughters... well thats a different story. I used to spend 20 minutes driving around our old jeep to release the drive line wind up so I could get it out of 4WD. I'm sure that wasn't very good on the system, but it never failed. Once you start throwing bigger tires on, could be a different story.

So when I bought the recent Jeep and then RAM, an auto case had its advantages. The Jeep works as I expected, RAM I'm disappointed..... mostly because they hid the needing slip to squeeze the clutches characteristic. Given the same tires, the Jeep runs circles around the Ram in nasty conditions.

Last edited:

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In a ram, the brakes apply to keep the wheels from slipping ..then some frustrated owners floors it in frustration to try to get unstuck, you could really damage something. .

Trucks and cars that use brake traction control also modulate the throttle, so when you punch it you won't get full power if there is spin detected. In fact thats how one is suppose to drive these things, punch it and let the traction control software do its thing.. that is until you are moving fast enough, of course.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to spend 20 minutes driving around our old jeep to release the drive line wind up so I could get it out of 4WD.

Was that electronic 4x4 shift Jeep ...or lever shift? I've personally never had a lever shift that didn't come out right away ...maybe a little backing up to unwind things. Doesn't sound fun.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was that electronic 4x4 shift Jeep ...or lever shift? I've personally never had a lever shift that didn't come out right away ...maybe a little backing up to unwind things. Doesn't sound fun.
That was a lever shift in the 2000, she could never remember whether full time or part time 4WD was the right position. Sometime a bit of backing up unwound, but a slippery surface, sometimes hard to find downtown, or turning if I could guess which way needed to unwind. The 2009 just has 4WD 2WD and 4Low so there is much less confusion... :)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed, very confusing terms (Full-time/Part-time). I STILL have to stop and make sure I'm using the right terms when I talk about it!!