How does AUTO 4WD work/what does it do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Can anybody explain what the AUTO 4WD does? Does it make the truck perform like an AWD (all wheel drive) vehicle like a Audio for example where there is always power to all 4 wheels, BUT they are not "locked" like in regular 4wd offroad? OR, does it only "kick in" when one of the wheels is slipping ofr something?

Lastly, can it be left on all the time, or should it only be used in bad weather/roads?

Thanks...

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Auto is 2wd until it detects slippage and then it locks the front wheels as well. I believe it then goes back to 2wd when normal. This one you can leave on all the time. 4wd lock is what you want to use when it's snowy/icy/muddy and the wheels are able to slip.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The 1/2 tons with Auto mode have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case which is engaged by clutch packs. There are some threads out there with hundreds of pages worth to read through on how this operates. Basically in Auto mode the truck is 2WD until a slippage is detected as said above. Once the slippage has been corrected, back to 2WD you go.

Be advised, 4WD "Lock" mode does not actually keep you in 4WD. Again, the truck will only engage 4WD when it detects loss of traction. There is a mix of reports out there saying the truck will disegnage 4WD until you come to a complete stop, or some say it will disengage when you release the gas pedal. But there is no true constant 4WD available on the 44-44 case.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll add one note........Power will be sent to the front wheels when A) slippage is detected and B) you are applying power.

If you are idling and your rear tires are spinning, the tcase will not engage the front axle until you step on the throttle.

This experiment is easy to try with the deep 1st gear of the 8 speed, especially in 4Lo. Find a slick spot like wet grass, ice, or really loose or soft sand...........

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
The 1/2 tons with Auto mode have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case which is engaged by clutch packs. There are some threads out there with hundreds of pages worth to read through on how this operates. Basically in Auto mode the truck is 2WD until a slippage is detected as said above. Once the slippage has been corrected, back to 2WD you go.

Be advised, 4WD "Lock" mode does not actually keep you in 4WD. Again, the truck will only engage 4WD when it detects loss of traction. There is a mix of reports out there saying the truck will disegnage 4WD until you come to a complete stop, or some say it will disengage when you release the gas pedal. But there is no true constant 4WD available on the 44-44 case.

Seriously? If I put the truck in 4WD LOW, your saying it is NOT locked in 4WD full time???

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Not to say it doesn’t do its job.

44-45 is where you will see full time lock. This is on select ½ tons, ie certain Tradesman’s I believe and the Rebel. All heavy duty trucks also get it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is an axle connect in the front axle thats also involved. Its an electric motor driven gear spline that slides to connect or disconnect one side for better free running. It is disconnected on 2WD mode, connected in 4Lock. I don't recall off hand what happens in auto mode, could very well be disconnected until slip is detected.

So the lock position on the selector is controlling the axle connect/lock. :) ...

Last edited:

Luis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well this is certainly interesting...... Learning quiet a bit today. I have an 11 Laramie 4x4 so information on here is very useful.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, it isn't, it is well mannered for typical use in a 1500 truck. You want locking 4x4 for rock climbing type activities get a RAM HD 4x4. Both transfer case modes are well evolved and function smoothly.
If your typical use is driving on bare pavement. Our typical truck use up here is hunting and fishing down not so perfect roads, driving in couples inches of snow all winter long. My "great" case burnt up at under 40k kms and had to wait nearly 3 months for replacement because thats backed up they were with burned cases.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, unfortunately the 44-4 transfercase and the whole 4x4 system on the 1500 is a complete joke.
It may work on dusty roads and a few inch of snow bt it's certainly nothing for driving on soft sand, mud, deep snow.

However,
there are several persons complaining about lower MPG when in Auto 4WD.
the reason for that is probably that the front axle and transfer case is engaged, but the cluch packs of the transfer case are not engaged.
This leads to a lower mpg as the car has to drag the front axle and drive shaft even when not on slippery ground.
As long you are driving on dry paved road i would leave the selector in 2WD and use Auto AWD only if expecting unpaved roads, raining hard, snow/ice
Chris

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I think the biggest issue is the misguided description causes people to believe it is a full time locking transfer case. When I had my 1500 I didn’t have a clue either until the first winter I felt the wheels slipping/engaging and disengaging in the “lock” mode. I thought there was something wrong and the truck was only staying in auto mode. Well, check the good old internet and behold, it doesn’t actually lock in full time. Just one of those things you don’t really think to research.

Mopar knows that the average person does not need/want/care about having a true full time locking case. They just want to get through the snow and slush and occasionally a bit of mud or dirt. And that case will do it without issue. So them putting the case on there is not really the issue. Labeling it “lock” and not saying anywhere in the manual that it doesn’t operate full time is the BS part and misleading to the consumer.

What they should have done, and IDK why they didn’t, is offer the 44-45 as an option. They put it in the Rebel because they know that truck is geared more to the offroad community and they would be PISSED if they realized on a trail that they didn’t actually have a locking case.

Go to a handful of dealerships and see how many salesman have a clue the t-case doesn’t have full time lock, or ask them why the Rebel doesn’t have “auto” mode, lol.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not that I'm bitter, but in 2016 the base tradesman came with locking case, and you needed to upgrade to at least a big horn to get the auto case. So I thought the big horn package was good deal because it came with the auto case. Oh well... some lawyer will start a class action misrepresentation case.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the biggest issue is the misguided description causes people to believe it is a full time locking transfer case. When I had my 1500 I didn’t have a clue either until the first winter I felt the wheels slipping/engaging and disengaging in the “lock” mode. I thought there was something wrong and the truck was only staying in auto mode. Well, check the good old internet and behold, it doesn’t actually lock in full time. Just one of those things you don’t really think to research.

Mopar knows that the average person does not need/want/care about having a true full time locking case. They just want to get through the snow and slush and occasionally a bit of mud or dirt. And that case will do it without issue. So them putting the case on there is not really the issue. Labeling it “lock” and not saying anywhere in the manual that it doesn’t operate full time is the BS part and misleading to the consumer.

What they should have done, and IDK why they didn’t, is offer the 44-45 as an option. They put it in the Rebel because they know that truck is geared more to the offroad community and they would be PISSED if they realized on a trail that they didn’t actually have a locking case.

Go to a handful of dealerships and see how many salesman have a clue the t-case doesn’t have full time lock, or ask them why the Rebel doesn’t have “auto” mode, lol.

Pretty much nailed it, well said sir!

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had auto 4x4 in a ford explorer, I hated it on snowy days coming out of the driveway.. rear wheels slipped, then the front engaged with a clunk. IMO auto 4x4 settings are for the Soccer Mom Mobiles and not a truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I find the system is pretty poor. On my 11 whenever I got stuck and needed wheel spin to get going it kept engaging in and out until the clutches overheat and I'm left with 2wd. Also the electric motor on the front liked to stop working in the cold until the diff warmed up so I now leave it in 4wd when parked during the cold and snow season so I have 4wd right away. Got tired of pulling my truck up my hill with my excavator or chaining up the back tires to get out of my driveway because I was stuck in 2wd. Not sure if they've made improvements on the new ones or not, but I'll soon find out.

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So maybe I'm missing something but if 4x4 "lock" isn't engaged all the time what is the difference between auto and lock? It's been said that in auto the transfer case is engaged but the clutch packs aren't engaged. So...what's the difference?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn