How "fast" should you turn the shift dial?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The correct answer is between 32.6968 and 32.70001 rpm. As long as you stay in that range every time the shifter should work for many years.

Octane

Reaction score
So for whatever reason my 2020 backs up no problem with driver door open. I had read that they would not so of course i had to try it for myself. Now granted i just drove normal speed.

I have been driving for 50 years and this is my first dial shifter. I thought it would drive me nuts but I love it. biggest issue I have is now when I drive my wife's Honda CRV I turn the radio dial every freaking time....
As long as you don't turn the radio sound up expecting the vehicle to start moving and then think the tranny is gone you're okay.lol

PJ_Shamrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never needed to do it, but I could envision being stuck in snow, putting it in reverse, and then pushing on the truck to get it moving and then hopping back in. Definitely not safe but I would do it if needed.
Reminded me... As a kid, I had an '84 Camaro Berlinetta. Backed out of the driveway one winter morning for work and got stuck in an icy rut full of water; no forward, no reverse. Put her in Drive, hopped out, and pushed the rear sideways to get it up and out of the rut. Neighbors must have laughed at my fat butt chasing that car down the street. Hey! I made it to work on time.

Bcryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So for whatever reason my 2020 backs up no problem with driver door open. I had read that they would not so of course i had to try it for myself. Now granted i just drove normal speed.

I have been driving for 50 years and this is my first dial shifter. I thought it would drive me nuts but I love it. biggest issue I have is now when I drive my wife's Honda CRV I turn the radio dial every freaking time....

I do that in my buddies Durango, still console shift, all the time on the boat ramp lol.. you want to see people panic hit the wrong gear on a boat ramp

Bcryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reminded me... As a kid, I had an '84 Camaro Berlinetta. Backed out of the driveway one winter morning for work and got stuck in an icy rut full of water; no forward, no reverse. Put her in Drive, hopped out, and pushed the rear sideways to get it up and out of the rut. Neighbors must have laughed at my fat butt chasing that car down the street. Hey! I made it to work on time.

Awesome!!!
Beat up 84 Monte Carlo here.. people still tell stories of that thing getting stuck etc and me just leaving it in drive to push it out.. ended up in my neighbors front yard once because I waited to long lol

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jury's out on the dial shifter IMO. It's nice that it frees up all the console space, but a column shifter never bothered me. What gets me with the dial is the lawyer that programmed it's operation.

Try shutting the truck off in neutral. Try putting the truck in neutral without starting it. Try to quickly move it across the driveway with your door open. You can't. Rant over...

Ugh the door open thing pi$$e$ me off!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
We have a 2015 ram 1500 and a 2002 ram 1500.

If I have been driving the '02, I get in the '15 and reach for the column shifter that isn't there.

Likewise, after driving the '15, I get in the '02 and turn up the radio.

Happens virtually every time, lol.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only thing I miss about a console shifter is it was a great place to rest my hand while driving (who wants to drive with 2 hands on the wheel?). I always feel like my wrist and hand are just hanging off the front of the center console out in space with no good place to rest it now.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The correct answer is between 32.6968 and 32.70001 rpm. As long as you stay in that range every time the shifter should work for many years.

Well that explains my issues then. I am pretty sure I have been turning it too fast - at least 32.70003 rpm!

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I am pretty sure that I am turning it too slow, which means that the shifter lifters aren't getting enough oil leading to premature shifter cam failure... :emotions122: