How hard or what problems when you change the oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
What model?

I have a limited and it is worse! The filter is still a PITA and now right behind the oil plug is a crossbar!

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Super easy. Done in 10 minutes in my driveway. The filter is a pain but not bad at all. I even use the larger oil filter from royal purple. Clean up was with 2 paper towels.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 with 6.4 hemi and it is a breeze. Did my first oil change at 1111 miles and I was expecting the filter to be a pain based on what I read but if it were any easier it would change itself. no drips and no mess. RAM put a nice plastic funnel below the filter.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, what secrets are people holding back to make one of these filter changes not messy. I cant comment on the 6.4 changes, but the 5.7 filter in my 2019 1500 sucks. I used a screw drive to hammer a hole into it to let it drain but it was still freaking messy.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OFR oil filter removal tool ,this makes changing 5.7 filters a walk in the park, they have three sizes , one works with the smaller filter, another works with the larger filter, however I don’t remember witch one is witch , buy all three to be certain you got one that works . BEST FILTER REMOVAL TOOL FOR THE 5.7 in use.

joeagri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oil drain valve is a great help. Makes it much easier to drain. Also, loosen the filter a little and then place a plastic zip lock bag over the filter to catch all the oil when you screw the filter. It woks great and no mess..

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2020 with 6.4 hemi and it is a breeze. Did my first oil change at 1111 miles and I was expecting the filter to be a pain based on what I read but if it were any easier it would change itself. no drips and no mess. RAM put a nice plastic funnel below the filter.
No one likes a bragger :bleh:

KingAirVariant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 Ram 1500 Quad
ha! big *** mess! I can say this, my front axle housing will never corrode, its covered with oil at every change. Not enough room to do anything but let it run down and then sop it up with paper towels or whatever you use. Such a crap design just like the tranny pan drain bolt (made out of ABS plastic, really?) and the location, exhaust cross over pipe blocks the drain bolt and even more difficult in removing the PLASTIC! drain pan. Yes, they make much better aftermarket metal pans, but wait! you either have to remove the cross over pipe or loosen the bottom tranny bolts and jack the tranny up to shoe horn in the new pan. omg...Im waiting on the PAC Brake oil relocation kit, a very nice kit, AN10 fittings, good psi lines, I had the Derale oil kit, DONT! buy it. the hoses are junk, cheesy hose clamps, you will be constantly tightening them. they will leak, especially the fittings into the housing units, I used the best teflon tape you can get specifically for petroleum products, eventually leaked.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2020 Ram 1500 Quad
ha! big *** mess! I can say this, my front axle housing will never corrode, its covered with oil at every change.
This, unless you have a show truck some oil down there will just protect that area from rust. Hit the entire under carriage with fluid film, it will all match, and smell good yummy.

obviously the OP isnt talking about the bolt, lol. jez

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No issues, no mess or fuss says the shop that does my oil changes.
Not worth the trouble after cost of materials.

KingAirVariant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, the Pacbrake kit is virtually impossible to get, even though vendors say they have them in stock, sitting on the shelf is Bullsh**. I gave up on that path. I went ahd and found a local shop who makes HPSI hoses and fittings for my app. I'll take the Derale kit and up grade the fittings and hoses. At least i know the housing works fine, just an issue with leaking rubber hoses and clamps.

KingAirVariant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I had the new fittings, the only problem is tightening the big *** 22mm nut on the AN fittings near the crank case, virtually impossible to tighten. Does not matter what angle fitting you use, 45, 90 180, no room at all to fit a wrench in there to snug it down. That is whats nice about the pak brake setup.