How heavy of a 5th wheel can I get with a 2017 Cummins Mega cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEDAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I keep trying to calculate the weight for a fifth wheel for my 17 2500 mega cab Cummins and what I get from what I’ve heard is different. Can anyone help me out. I’ve been towing a 12k lb travel trailer for over 5 years and may be looking to upgrade depending on the weight I can haul. Thanks.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There are numerous threads on here with the 2500 Cummins debate. To save you a lot of reading, that truck can pull up trees but has a limited payload rating. Pin weight on a 5W will be a bigger consideration than the 5W weight. Good luck

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Depends on if you want to be talked down nattered by the forum payload police. If you do, then not much of one. If not, a pretty good sized one.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Probably a very tiny select few, if any. The Mega Cab 2500s have a super low payload. My dad had one.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I keep trying to calculate the weight for a fifth wheel for my 17 2500 mega cab Cummins and what I get from what I’ve heard is different. Can anyone help me out. I’ve been towing a 12k lb travel trailer for over 5 years and may be looking to upgrade depending on the weight I can haul. Thanks.
Look at your cargo capacity sticker on your drivers side door jamb to get your weight. You can also plug your pin into the VIN look up on the RAM Trucks Site: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html#/landing/bytowing

This will give you an idea of your towing capacity. 2500 Mega Cab, might have a lower cargo capacity than a crew cab. A light 5th wheel or "half-ton" towable 5th wheel will probably give you the light pin weight. The Cummins will have a higher tow rating possibly, but you could be limited by the pin weight. My situation is the opposite...I have over 6k lbs of cargo capacity and limited towing, just under 14k lbs. I am limited to light 5'vers if I want one too.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Please please please don’t exceed your truck’s payload rating. Sure you could put lift bags to solve a sag problem, but if you do exceed the payload capacity and are involved in an accident, your insurance company or an attorney could show that you were negligent and contributed to the accident even if you didn’t cause it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Without knowing your exact numbers and specs on the truck, an estimated 5th wheel of 12.5k pounds is all it is rated for based on your payload limitations and typically pin weight is about 20% of trailer weight.

2 things working against you is the mega cab & it's a 2500. Another issue will be the shorty short bed and chance of needing a heavier sliding hitch.