How I solved my Air Suspension Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scox0780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has been dropping on a nightly basis, although the front may not be all the way down. IMG_2120.jpegIMG_2213.jpeg
These two photos are from separate occasions, but this is what the truck looks like every morning. I took the below pictures when I parked it just now for a direct comparison.IMG_2397.jpegIMG_2394.jpeg
Truck functions normally, though; coming off my driveway and hitting the road in the morning is super bouncy and obnoxious, but then nothing after that. It fixes itself immediately and the ride is perfectly normal. The only exception to this rule was a few weeks ago, left a friend’s house and drove 20 minutes to a restaurant with every road imperfection sending me through the roof. Parked it, came back 5 mins later, drove home just fine and it hasn’t done that since. Any ideas?

Ramulus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco
Not 100% sure, but my guess would be..

Rear bags are slowly leaking. Compressor running when driving is likely being overworked to keep them going. That's why it's deflated when it's left parked overnight. Get it checked out before you end up on the bump stops going down the road.

Ramifornia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great explanation from the OP. I have a 2017 Ram Limited with the same issues as posted on here. It has been to the dealership 3 times in two months. Bought new in 2017 from dealership that I have been taking it to.

It started by initially lowering itself in the driveway overnight. This was happening 3-4 times per week. I also noticed that the pressure release valve was making a noise and it had never done this before in the previous 5 years. Took to dealership and they couldn't find the problem. They assured me that all was normal. Took camper on a trip and half way back into town, the rear hit bottom stops. VERY rough ride after being unsuccessful with resetting it. (Load weight was within limits and also using weight distribution bars) This was the first time it would not reset. Took to dealership again, they could not find the problem. Took truck out of town with elderly In-Laws in the back seat for Thanksgiving and the rear suspension failed 150 miles from home. It gave an error to 'service air suspension' and would not inflate the rear airbags. Had to get a rental car to continue the trip and left the truck at an airports long term parking. On the return trip I let the wife drive the IN Laws in the rental and I drove the truck solo. It held air until I got home with no passengers. I took it to the dealership again and they pulled the error codes. They were FINALLY able to duplicate the rear dropping after keeping it and letting it sit for a few days. They replaced the valve block under extended warranty. ($200 deductible) While driving I noticed that when you hit the 'Raise button' that it flashes as it is designed to but on the dash, it does not say it is raising. It took 11 minutes for it to finally acknowledge and said 'raising' on the dash. I had pulled to the side of the road to wait for it to raise so I know it wasn't raising due to speed.

I have been trying to get this resolved since December 2022 when I first brought it to the dealerships attention. Now the compressor is loud and I can hear it when it runs while I drive the truck. It takes a few minutes from startup to raise to normal ride height. I have partnered with Ram Care and am supposed to take it back to the dealership next Monday. I love the truck but just not sure how much longer I can deal with the issues and not having a vehicle to use because it is in the dealership more than at home. I will post an update here if their findings.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your rear air springs are leaking and now your air pump is on the way out.. The pump is constantly over working, then over heating and shutting down.

Hopefully your fronts aren’t leaking, but there’s a very good chance they will be.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has been dropping on a nightly basis, although the front may not be all the way down. View attachment 535692View attachment 535693
These two photos are from separate occasions, but this is what the truck looks like every morning. I took the below pictures when I parked it just now for a direct comparison.View attachment 535694View attachment 535695
Truck functions normally, though; coming off my driveway and hitting the road in the morning is super bouncy and obnoxious, but then nothing after that. It fixes itself immediately and the ride is perfectly normal. The only exception to this rule was a few weeks ago, left a friend’s house and drove 20 minutes to a restaurant with every road imperfection sending me through the roof. Parked it, came back 5 mins later, drove home just fine and it hasn’t done that since. Any ideas?
Replace the right rear, air up the tank and monitor. You’ll end up doing them all at some point.

14RMLTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my 2014 Limited dropped all the way on left side only. It started just back left and now if the front too. It does inflate to normal after awhile of driving. Sometimes on the highway they will lower and is slow to reinflate. Is this a bad compressor and valve block? I did find a shop Not Ram dealer) In Virginia that will fix it and guarantees the work for 3yr/36,000 miles.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably not your valve block or pump.
What i’ve noticed by reading these forums and even talking to some chrysler techs is that their best way to diagnose these air systems is to forget all logic and start with the cheapest part and work up from there.

If your air pump is constantly working to raise your truck back up, it’s trying to replace the lost nitrogen in your once sealed system. YOU HAVE A LEAK.

The pumps and valve blocks failing are secondary faults. These fail due to over working, over heating and in some climates freezing due to moisture in the system. Fix the leaks first then concern yourself with the pump and valve block. Common leaks are the rear bags at the top, fronts leak at the lower shock o-ring. If your front shocks are rusty - that’s where the leak is.

Ramifornia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably not your valve block or pump.
What i’ve noticed by reading these forums and even talking to some chrysler techs is that their best way to diagnose these air systems is to forget all logic and start with the cheapest part and work up from there.

If your air pump is constantly working to raise your truck back up, it’s trying to replace the lost nitrogen in your once sealed system. YOU HAVE A LEAK.

The pumps and valve blocks failing are secondary faults. These fail due to over working, over heating and in some climates freezing due to moisture in the system. Fix the leaks first then concern yourself with the pump and valve block. Common leaks are the rear bags at the top, fronts leak at the lower shock o-ring. If your front shocks are rusty - that’s where the leak is.
On the rear bags leaking on the top, would the technician trying to troubleshoot find this easily? When I took mine in they said it wasn't leaking and stated that they sprayed soapy water around the bags. I thought this was laughable due to not being able to visually see all areas sprayed. I also believe the leak could possibly be at one of the 18 air line connections.
On mine they have replaced the valve block but it still has a leak somewhere. (Plus pump going out now) The dealer is also telling me it is normal for the pressure release to make the discharge noise often. I disagree. It didn't make the noise once during the first 5 years of ownership.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the rear bags leaking on the top, would the technician trying to troubleshoot find this easily?
Really depends on the tech working on your truck. As soon we hear a customer talking about how - they heard this, they read this on a forum, they watched this YT video, etc. We roll out eyes and wish we never got assigned that job, then start looking for the quickest way to the next hopefully better work order.

That being said, here’s a good YT video, and a picture of the right rear spring off my truck that is leaking.

IMG_6753.jpeg

I haven’t seen much for lines or connections leaking over the years (except for rodent damage - lines chewed). In general, line and connection leaks are uncommon. There’s always the exception though
say from accident damage or poor workmanship.

The constant pressure release is odd, you’ll usually get that once after the air tank has been refilled with nitrogen and the system exhausts some over pressure. Curious to when this is happening and if your getting a payload too heavy warning?

If it’s just a swoosh noise after the pump shuts off then maybe it was just drawing in outside air. The noise heard might be from the air in the inlet pipe bleeding off.

Last edited:

Ramifornia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really depends on the tech working on your truck. As soon we hear a customer talking about how - they heard this, they read this on a forum, they watched this YT video, etc. We roll out eyes and wish we never got assigned that job, then start looking for the quickest way to the next hopefully better work order.

That being said, here’s a good YT video, and a picture of the right rear spring off my truck that is leaking.

View attachment 536553

I haven’t seen much for lines or connections leaking over the years (except for rodent damage - lines chewed). In general, line and connection leaks are uncommon. There’s always the exception though
say from accident damage or poor workmanship.

The constant pressure release is odd, you’ll usually get that once after the air tank has been refilled with nitrogen and the system exhausts some over pressure. Curious to when this is happening and if your getting a payload too heavy warning?

If it’s just a swoosh noise after the pump shuts off then maybe it was just drawing in outside air. The noise heard might be from the air in the inlet pipe bleeding off.
The air release is happening after it loses pressure and refills. (In the morning after sitting overnight) Keep in mind it takes 10-12 minutes usually for the truck to go from lower stops to normal ride height. This is when it releases, then the truck raises. It acts like it has to warm up before raising but I assume this is just to have enough pressure to raise after loss of pressure overnight due to leak.

Not sure why the release valve would be discharging when it never did before. Unless the system was once sealed but now it isn't and it is drawing outside air?

I dropped the truck off again at the dealer Monday. It is now Friday and Ram Care or the dealer haven't called to give any updates. I have left messages with both. Very frustrating.

zroknwn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I have a 2015 Rebel 1500 and my suspension was going good till this past weekend 2/18 to be exact when I helped my brother move. It now sits on the bump stops at all 4 corners and absolutely rides like a milk crate. image.jpgI got an error message “Service Electronic Braking System” along with “Service Air Suspension System” I found out that I had a fuse out on my SBW/TCASE SW. not sure what caused it to blow but I replaced that thinking it would fix the issues but it did not. I took it to AutoZone and had them run the code reader and it came up with a bad Steering Angle Position Sensor. Anyone have any insight on it?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I have a 2015 Rebel 1500 and my suspension was going good till this past weekend 2/18 to be exact when I helped my brother move. It now sits on the bump stops at all 4 corners and absolutely rides like a milk crate. View attachment 537977I got an error message “Service Electronic Braking System” along with “Service Air Suspension System” I found out that I had a fuse out on my SBW/TCASE SW. not sure what caused it to blow but I replaced that thinking it would fix the issues but it did not. I took it to AutoZone and had them run the code reader and it came up with a bad Steering Angle Position Sensor. Anyone have any insight on it?
So did you have a burnt fuse for the air suspension too?
But as far as that steering angle position sensor, might check the fuse for that too.