How long do you run your oil 2018 cummins diesel ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mega Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
1 mopar warrantees the engines not cummins.

2 iirc there's a break in period you should follow and change oil early iirc (and I may not)

3 oil range is based of off diving habits. Most everyone falls into the extreme category
Which means 5000-7000 miles

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
11k miles? Oil's not that expensive! Change oil more often rather than a new engine.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
I change every 6 months and average between 5 - 7K miles, Only use Rotella 5W-40 and OEM filter. Fuel filter changes as recommended by Ram or once per year. as others have mentioned you need to heat up the oil frequently to burn out moisture and fuel.

DodgeDude1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
1 mopar warrantees the engines not cummins.

2 iirc there's a break in period you should follow and change oil early iirc (and I may not)

3 oil range is based of off diving habits. Most everyone falls into the extreme category
Which means 5000-7000 miles

Cummins has the say so on the warranty of the engine. There was a guy on cumminsforums that had gotten water in the fuel and the separator & filter didn’t stop it. Cummins rep was brought in for if it was warranty. They wouldn’t cover it, somehow the dudes insurance covered it to the time of $25k

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I have been in the oil business for...since 84. Run hundreds of oil analysis. Tried dozens of oil and additive combinations. Invented one so good a big oil company sued me. Sold it to a fella in Europe and he made millions from it.

that-sounds-like-absolute-********.jpg

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Cold combustion does cause some blow by, and if it's done a lot will quickly contaminate even the cleanest, freshest oil, causing it to become super black and very gritty, which surely would damage the engine. I have heard that the Cummins likes to run at 1,800 rpm. That is the Goldilocks zone for it. The shop foreman at the dealership suggested that if I am doing only a lot of local, around town driving at reduced speeds, to gear down to increase the rpm. Also, if you're only making a couple few short stops I think it's far better to idle rather than shut it down, BUT the goal is to reach operating temperature as soon as possible. So, if you have the "idle up" feature with the cruise control buttons, idle up when you make your stop/s. One might even increase the rpms further by continuing to tap the resume button after engaging idle up. I believe--but I may be wrong--it is only the low idle speeds that will cause too cool combustion. No one can drive off with your truck with the key fob in your pocket.

Was it in the Diesel Supplement that I read engaging full exhaust brake will increase the coolant temperature more quickly? This might be another way to get that operating temperature up there quickly, to help keep the oil cleaner.

Last edited: