How long does everyone let their Hemi warm up in the morning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to leave the house at 7:30AM to get kids to school on time. I yell a 5 minute warning to them, as I remote start my truck.

So about 5 minutes early, give or take (most of the time we leave a little later than 7:30)

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the winter up north usually a full remote start cycle to be honest... In the summer maybe 2 or 2 min. I did that with my 2010 for 265k km (164Miles) without a hiccup. Motor ran great the day I sold it, and plan to do the same with my 16.

mind you I live close to a highway so Id rather not be full throttling it without the motor being warm.

Same, especially on those cold nights. I'll let it run for the full 15 minute cycle before I go out; even then the coolant temp gauge barely moves.
Maybe it's just me, but when I hear "hemi's don't like to idle" Id say it's referring to police or corrections vehicles that literally sit there and idle all day. A daily driver shouldn't have that problem.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've gone as quick as 5 minutes or when the temp needle just begins to move, or 10 minutes if it's pretty cold out.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Long enough to click the anti-ejection device. Then with the twist of the dial, we're off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watch the RPMs. They start at first around 1250 to 1300 RPM and then after about 30 seconds it drops down to just under 1000. I don’t move until it does that. Once I do get up on the road I’ll take it easy for the first five minutes or so and let it warm up then I just drive normal after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-38 and I still drive away after the high idle drops down. I just drive easy until things warm up a bit, in winter I take the long way through town so I'm not hitting the highway with everything below 0°.
Idling the truck to warm up is worse for it than driving it to warm it up, and it warms up much faster when it's moving its own weight around. 5 minutes until it's blowing warm air and 10 minutes before I'm turning the heat down because it's toasty in the cab.cb8fc10c999bd2e92cfa68eb9a10d48b.jpg

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
-38 and I still drive away after the high idle drops down. I just drive easy until things warm up a bit, in winter I take the long way through town so I'm not hitting the highway with everything below 0°.
Idling the truck to warm up is worse for it than driving it to warm it up, and it warms up much faster when it's moving its own weight around. 5 minutes until it's blowing warm air and 10 minutes before I'm turning the heat down because it's toasty in the cab.

Again, I could be wrong, but because these engines have a cast iron block and aluminum heads with much different expansion rates, I was taught that you don't want you're engine heating up too fast because over time you will cause excess shear on your head and lower intake manifold gaskets.

If there are come current mechanics on here I'd love to hear what they think.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aluminum heads with cast iron blocks have been used since the 80's.
Start and go - in moderation though, no WOT runs. Highway speeds are even fine as long as you aren't at a drag race to get on them.

I am moving within 15 secs. or so.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
10-15 minutes if it's below 20-30 or above 80-85 degrees. I'm sure that's going to get a reaction out of some people here, but I bought my truck to enjoy it, and part of that is remote starting to achieve cabin comfort. Not to mention, I also idle a lot during the summer during breaks at softball tournaments we must attend. I also get rid of my trucks by around 50-65k or so miles so I'm not worried about the long term health of my hemi.

As for the temps in between, might remote start for a couple minutes before I head out the door, or will fire it up and let it idle down before pulling away.
Me too. As long as it takes me to let the dogs out make coffee and get my **** together

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-24c this morning. I let it idle until the coolant temp is 30-40c and the tranny temp to hit 0c. Then drive off slowly. This usually means 5 or 10min of idling.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Generally I remote start as I walk to the truck and just hop in, belt up, put in gear, and go. I then drive easy until the engine and trans warm up. If my windows are icy/frosty I may do a 5 minute warm up. I believe it's actually better for the engine to get driving sooner rather than later. Also, for those that warm up there engine on really cold days I hope your still driving easy so the differential fluid can warm up and flow better before any full throttle runs.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, I could be wrong, but because these engines have a cast iron block and aluminum heads with much different expansion rates, I was taught that you don't want you're engine heating up too fast because over time you will cause excess shear on your head and lower intake manifold gaskets.

If there are come current mechanics on here I'd love to hear what they think.

I would assume it's fine. My odometer is wrong, so I'm actually at 257,000km in that picture. Only problem has been 1 exhaust manifold stud snapped about 10,000km ago (when it was still warm out).

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually wait for the coolant temp to get to 140, then drive easy because I know the tranny fluid, and other drive line fluids are still cold. I also watch my oil pressure and will back off throttle if she gets over 60 psi when not fully warmed up. Why I picked those numbers, I don’t know, but they work for me.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Generally I remote start as I walk to the truck and just hop in, belt up, put in gear, and go. I then drive easy until the engine and trans warm up. If my windows are icy/frosty I may do a 5 minute warm up. I believe it's actually better for the engine to get driving sooner rather than later. Also, for those that warm up there engine on really cold days I hope your still driving easy so the differential fluid can warm up and flow better before any full throttle runs.
I guess that’s the good thing about getting older. These days, I don’t do full throttle anything. I will accelerate hard if I need to in order to merge or pass, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I just stomped on the go pedal.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess that’s the good thing about getting older. These days, I don’t do full throttle anything. I will accelerate hard if I need to in order to merge or pass, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I just stomped on the go pedal.

The last time I did it was yesterday, haven't driven today yet ;)...

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me too. As long as it takes me to let the dogs out make coffee and get my **** together

Yep I have a couple different sequences like that of things to do prior to leaving, that seem to fit perfectly in that 10-15 minute window. Sounds like a good routine you have there.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Idling the truck to warm up is worse for it than driving it to warm it up, and it warms up much faster when it's moving its own weight around. 5 minutes until it's blowing warm air and 10 minutes before I'm turning the heat down because it's toasty in the cab.cb8fc10c999bd2e92cfa68eb9a10d48b.jpg

Was that this morning in Carstairs??. We were only -26C on my back deck thermometer here in Airdrie this morning.That being 20 min's north and in a bit of a valley sucks if that's the case,lol

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was that this morning in Carstairs??. We were only -26C on my back deck thermometer here in Airdrie this morning.That being 20 min's north and in a bit of a valley sucks if that's the case,lol
Crossfield, but close enough! I was in Calgary today catching up with my dad and he said it only got to about -30 there. The weather always seems to turn right at our little town on the hill.

miguelito_az

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the first 1000 miles I actually cranked my truck in "clear flood" mode to build oil pressure since I heard all the stories about the cam and lifters in these. Then I'd start it an wait for coolant temp to hit 100*. Since 1k miles and doing an oil change and with pennzoil ultra platinum and liqui moly I fire it right up and let fast idle settle down before setting off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye