How loud is your stereo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxiderm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My system’s loud enough for me. All I have is just better infinity reference speakers on the dash, and in the rear doors with some JBL roof speakers along with a dual 10” JL Audio Stealthbox wired to a JL Audio 500w amp that gets it’s feed from the factory subwoofer with no help from a line out converter or that Pac Audio thing that bypasses the factory amp. Mine is the loudest I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like those subs? I have 600 from my amp that I feed to my current subs (JBL Fuse 8 inch low profile) but it sounds very lackluster. I feel some punch but nothing from the really low end. Not much range. I am highly considering getting the JL stealthbox and hooking it up to the 600 watt channel of my amp but the stealthbox is quite expensive so I'm still on the fence.

maxiderm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
What does your setup look like? I’m going to attempt something along the same shortly and wanted some ideas of what to I’m in for?

My head unit is the Kenwood
DMX1057XR. It's bad ass, worth the price. Having wireless Android Auto is really nice.

Kenwood also makes a kit for the 4 door Rams that replaces all your stock speakers with their Excelon series speakers (7 inch in the back doors, 6x9s in the front, and small ones in the dash). That's what I did for my speakers.

My amp is the Kenwood 5 channel amp that gives 60 watts to 4 speaker channels and 600 watts to 1 sub channel. I can't remember the model but you can find it on Crutchfield pretty easily.

The subs I have are the only thing I'm not super thrilled about. I wanted to get subs but I didn't want to spend a lot of money or go crazy with it. I got the JBL Fuse, which are two very low profile 8 inch subs in very thin enclosures. Even when paired with the nice amp I have, I don't get a wide range of low end that I wanted. Still sounds better then no subs at all, but I will likely replace them with something else in the future, like the JL Stealthbox or a Fox box with two nicer larger subs in it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you like those subs? I have 600 from my amp that I feed to my current subs (JBL Fuse 8 inch low profile) but it sounds very lackluster. I feel some punch but nothing from the really low end. Not much range. I am highly considering getting the JL stealthbox and hooking it up to the 600 watt channel of my amp but the stealthbox is quite expensive so I'm still on the fence.

I love it. It may not win any bass-off competitions but it sure does thump hard enough for me. I’m not familiar with your amp but correction, the amp I run with my stealthbox is the amp that JL Audio recommends in the instruction manual that came with my enclosure which is the JL Audio XD600/1v2 which is 600 watts, not 500 like I for some reason thought it was….lol. It’s pretty amazing. Those two 10” subs put out an incredible amount of bass, and I’m not even giving it the full signal by bypassing the factory amp. I think the secret to mine sounding so great without bypassing the factory amp was by following the strict instructions from a JL Audio rep who told me how to use a volt meter to figure out the signal cutoff and all that stuff to pretty much fine tune that amp without having to bypass the factory amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck I’m more than happy with the minimal upgrade I’ve done to the stock system. Kicker/Mopar performance speaker upgrade front and rear. 6x9 coaxial in the rear doors, 6x9 mid woofers front doors and soft dome tweeters on the dash all with the proper crossover caps and factory connectors. Added the little Kicker Key 180 amp hidden under the dash with a T-harness hookup and it’s plenty loud with 100% factory functionality. Sound deadening mat in the doors and rear of cab makes a big difference all by itself.

Gerard22295

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The stock speakers are terrible in the Rams all models, speaker upgrades alone make a tremendous difference. 6 new speakers for my 2020 Big Horn, 10" Sub with audiocontrol amps. Now its awesome for reasonable price.

Daddyfatty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The source on my factory unit has a lot to do with volume I've found out. The XM radio seems to be the softest. Plug in my iPhone and it will wake the folks up a mile down the road. Plenty loud enough for me. And, I do enjoy a fully cranked song once in a while.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hit 146db measured with UMIK on my SQ built system. Hardly ever listen to it anywhere remotely that loud BUT when you can hit that and it's clean; can actually be quite a pleasant experience; you'll hear tonality and notes that the average system can't express. They will sound better than good at any volume level.

I've sat in some cars that were built just for high db's; they make your vision blur and hurt your ears because the quality of the sound was crap but it wasn't designed to sound good either. It did do what it was intended to though.

It's all about your objective and if you're happy with the way things are then rock on!

Stereo's can be just like HP though for some - very addictive and always looking for more powa.

Here's my setup in various stages of the install.

View attachment 247768 View attachment 247769 View attachment 247770 View attachment 247771
Clean. I have no idea what kind of db level I'm pushing, but I threw 1200 Watts at just the dash and front doors so I could get the clarity at any volume level. If I have the volume at 2 I can clearly make out every note, vocal and otherwise. My 72 year old mother is even considering letting me upgrade her radio now lol.
I did like the alpine system, the whole system I have now is just a long story of escalation and good deals on components. I really like how clean the integration was in these Rams. Other vehicles should be as simple. I had to build a couple speaker boxes for my 12's. I only did it because I was convinced I could fit a Rockford P3 in the same space that my old JL steath box occupied. And I figured I could one up it and fit the 12 on the 40% side. It is a weird box and my first time using fiberglass. Worked great though, sounded awesome. So naturally, I have 2 now.
Jeez, the dog was never inside the truck this time either....labs....

Screenshot_20201015-111351_Photos.jpg

16218108734916421518564646552016.jpg

16218109309264454611725566522310.jpg

16218109739885620492289237472299.jpg

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm finishing up a install that puts 1000w to two 10" subs in a sealed enclosure. During testing and tuning it made me hurt. After 15 minutes of listening to different tracks I felt like puking and was slightly disoriented. I discovered I had a blown Rockford Fosgate 6x9 speaker so I'm upgrading all 4 to 6.5" mids and separate tweets. Once done and everything tuned this will be all I dare expose myself to.
Hate to admit it but I'm getting to be an old fart.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Heck I’m more than happy with the minimal upgrade I’ve done to the stock system. Kicker/Mopar performance speaker upgrade front and rear. 6x9 coaxial in the rear doors, 6x9 mid woofers front doors and soft dome tweeters on the dash all with the proper crossover caps and factory connectors. Added the little Kicker Key 180 amp hidden under the dash with a T-harness hookup and it’s plenty loud with 100% factory functionality. Sound deadening mat in the doors and rear of cab makes a big difference all by itself.

Which t-harness did you use? I'm looking to put in a Kicker key amp as well, but can't find the harness everyone's talking about.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which t-harness did you use? I'm looking to put in a Kicker key amp as well, but can't find the harness everyone's talking about.

I used a custom made T-harness from Net Audio out of Wichita Falls, TX. It wasn’t cheap but it was exactly what I needed and well made. Basically separates the four channel speaker outputs from the head unit so you can tap into them for a high level amp input or use a LOC. IIRC it was about $150 delivered. My contact was Paul Morgan and their number is 940-767-1800.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Metra Axxcess AX-DSP-CH5
Least expensive t harness you will find. Cut the end off that would go to the dsp and counnect the wires to your amp. Had built in load resistors too so no worry about oem head unit shutting down channels due to no load.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Metra Axxcess AX-DSP-CH5
Least expensive t harness you will find. Cut the end off that would go to the dsp and counnect the wires to your amp. Had built in load resistors too so no worry about oem head unit shutting down channels due to no load.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

looks like that will do the trick at half the price.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a stock uconnect 8.4 with an added single JL10W3V32 in a sealed enclosure. Brought a db meter home from work and did some test on how loud the system is and measured 115 db.

How loud is your system?

Haven't metered but I'd guess 140 or more.. I had a custom center console built with two skar vxf 12s and an rp 3500 Amp.

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you have one of these ultimate stereos and want to crank it up find the song "Then came the last days of may" by Blue Oyster Cult (the live version, not the studio version) and test it out. I'm not trying to change your style of music if you don't like old rock & roll, just think you'll be impressed with the solo guitar in it. I still think I have the ringing in my ears from listening to it so much as a teenager. Still do play it loud when I'm not around others!

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
2 12s on a 5000w amp. It can be difficult to breath

View attachment 247404

View attachment 247405

Hey man - I have the same box in my 2017 Crew Cab Limited (love it). What year is your truck and do you know how much space you have at the bottom between the box and the magnet? My stereo shop told me that I needed to go to a shallow mount sub because a "normal" sized sub would be too tall. I ended up finding out that a Tesla 1.5 would fit so I went with that. I'm powering them with a SoundDigital 1600.1 amplifier and they sound great but if I can switch them out to something that can hold more power - I may do that. These Tezla 1.5 are rated at 750rms. Thanks for any info.

jkallenbach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My head unit is the Kenwood
DMX1057XR. It's bad ass, worth the price. Having wireless Android Auto is really nice.

Kenwood also makes a kit for the 4 door Rams that replaces all your stock speakers with their Excelon series speakers (7 inch in the back doors, 6x9s in the front, and small ones in the dash). That's what I did for my speakers.

My amp is the Kenwood 5 channel amp that gives 60 watts to 4 speaker channels and 600 watts to 1 sub channel. I can't remember the model but you can find it on Crutchfield pretty easily.

The subs I have are the only thing I'm not super thrilled about. I wanted to get subs but I didn't want to spend a lot of money or go crazy with it. I got the JBL Fuse, which are two very low profile 8 inch subs in very thin enclosures. Even when paired with the nice amp I have, I don't get a wide range of low end that I wanted. Still sounds better then no subs at all, but I will likely replace them with something else in the future, like the JL Stealthbox or a Fox box with two nicer larger subs in it.
@maxiderm Did you use resistors to bring up the ohms on the dash speakers? I have installed the DMX1057XR in my 2014 Ram 1500 (I absolutely love it), and picked up two sets of Kenwood KFC-XP6903C 6x9 + 3-1/2" Component Speakers. I put the door speakers and they are phenomenal, and I'm just waiting on the kit to wire up the dash speakers. Wondering if the resistors are necessary or if the 4ohm 3 1/2's would work given everything at this point is Kenwood.