How many car washes are too many washes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spray mine with a pressure washer to get the heavy stuff off and then hand wash it. I don't have a particular schedule, just when it gets dirty. I have a pavement princess or garage queen or whatever else people want to call it. When I first got married my wife had an uncle that saw me outside cleaning my vehicle and he told her that was the sign of a lazy man who kept a clean vehicle. She replied cleaning a vehicle was a job, not cleaning a vehicle was lazy. He had nothing else to say. I like a clean vehicle, sue me! Never owned a vehicle I wasn't proud of. LOL
I'm retired Army and have access to a 4 post lift on base. I use it to visually inspect under all my vehicles and to lube the suspension parts on my 69 Cougar. At my house I drive up on my ramps and pressure wash the underside of my cars in the winter. Luckily, they don't salt the roads that I have to drive in the winter, they use sand, but if I have to go to KCMO, in between the automatic car washes and my pressure washing, I'm covered. I haven't had a vehicle with underside or wheelwell rust in quite awhile now.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I went to an estate sale today where the guy had everything car related. Models, tools, posters, parts, work clothes, you name it. But you know what, he's gone now and his house was full of strangers rummaging through his beloved "TREASURES". I don't want to be that guy; I like my vehicles and take pride in them but I no longer "OBSESS" over them.

Billionaire play-boy or ascetic monk, we're all dead the same.

I bet he enjoyed his hobby while he was alive, and that's all that mattered to him.

*edit* P l a y boy is censored? The auto censor software here is ridiculous.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I spray mine with a pressure washer to get the heavy stuff off and then hand wash it. I don't have a particular schedule, just when it gets dirty. I have a pavement princess or garage queen or whatever else people want to call it. When I first got married my wife had an uncle that saw me outside cleaning my vehicle and he told her that was the sign of a lazy man who kept a clean vehicle. She replied cleaning a vehicle was a job, not cleaning a vehicle was lazy. He had nothing else to say. I like a clean vehicle, sue me! Never owned a vehicle I wasn't proud of. LOL

It's in our DNA brother :waytogo:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So interesting thing that my wife pointed out. When a guy keeps his vehicle clean that usually means he isn't lazy and he isn't a slob. I know there is nothing worse to a women then a lazy slob. Its bugging me that her jeep is dirty, but it rains later today and tomorrow, so after that it will be clean again. I need to do some light cleaning on the Ram as well.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do they still have car washes with brushes? I'm in my early 50's and haven't seen them in 30 years.
They still have them where I live. Although at least they use more of a micro-fiber type "brush", and don't seem to cause as bad of damage as the older styles used.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So interesting thing that my wife pointed out. When a guy keeps his vehicle clean that usually means he isn't lazy and he isn't a slob. I know there is nothing worse to a women then a lazy slob. Its bugging me that her jeep is dirty, but it rains later today and tomorrow, so after that it will be clean again. I need to do some light cleaning on the Ram as well.

I happen to be like that and my wife always said the same thing even way back when we met....
* Warning: Personal Opinion Alert * A personal vehicle's condition is a representation of the driver. I laugh when I see wry comments referring to garage queens or similar comments about people maintaining the exteriors. Is keeping it dirty supposed to be cool and rebellious? Nah, it's laziness and apathy - which doesn't make someone bad - but it is what it is. I use mine as a truck regularly, but when it's dirty I clean it. I wash it by hand, am not fanatical and don't examine it for swirl marks - but I clean it the first chance I get when it gets dirty - interior and out. I think it goes hand in hand with other aspects of life. I keep my lawn and backyard weed-free and manicured and the house is the same way - no peeling paint, no broken screens, no dripping faucets. No offense intended - just stating my opinion.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I happen to be like that and my wife always said the same thing even way back when we met....
* Warning: Personal Opinion Alert * A personal vehicle's condition is a representation of the driver. I laugh when I see wry comments referring to garage queens or similar comments about people maintaining the exteriors. Is keeping it dirty supposed to be cool and rebellious? Nah, it's laziness and apathy - which doesn't make someone bad - but it is what it is. I use mine as a truck regularly, but when it's dirty I clean it. I wash it by hand, am not fanatical and don't examine it for swirl marks - but I clean it the first chance I get when it gets dirty - interior and out. I think it goes hand in hand with other aspects of life. I keep my lawn and backyard weed-free and manicured and the house is the same way - no peeling paint, no broken screens, no dripping faucets. No offense intended - just stating my opinion.
Spot on. Meet a guys dog, see his truck, you know EXACTLY, what his kids are like and what the rest of his stuff looks like. No one does a great job in a few areas of their life and a poor one in the other areas of life.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I totally respect that. No living a crazy job they are going to get dirty and stay dirty. You get to it when you can. Hence why drive through car washes are so popular. I’ve lived they lived that and when you want perfection everytime it’s a hand wash as you said. I keep my house in the same working order as our cars clean and tidy.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Well said :waytogo:

Manners Matter, and it is all in the details