How Many Have Been Using Their Block Heater This Winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I have been plugging mine in when ever I use it. Mines a grocery getter and I do it so that it will get to operating temperature.
That's a good practice.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
The block heater is recommended by Ram to use when the outside temperature is 0°F or below, I use mine to help get up to operating temperature quicker. I have a smart plug programmed to turn on a couple hours before I plan on leaving if the outside temperature is less than 40°F
That's good for the Cummins in my opinion.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Might have to check and see it there's a tie wrap keeping the cord seeming shorter than it's wrapped around something. Mine is pretty short, but at least it's lnong enough to get it out the front of the hood so I don't have to open it to plug/unplug it.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Anything below freezing I plug mine in along with my Noco battery charger. I wired charger quick connect next to block heater so I just set all up in front bumper in case of rain/snow so its out of sight too. Heater maybe used 3x, battery charger gets more use tbh.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Have it on my 16 Laramie. Truck stays parked inside most of the time in heated garage. So don't use alot. However if parked outside in Montana winter, it's helpful for shorter warm up time. I've started mine in -50, with and without the block heater. Truck likes it alot more with than without.

Good cold weather feature

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Why would you need it there?
I use it only after "cold" nights in winter. Because diesel engines do not like to start or idle cold. Even if only 40 - 50 degrees. Its far far healthier for the engine to be able to start warm. Prevents blow by into the crank case, and extends the life of batteries and the DPF filter.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my block heater whenever the overnight temp is -15C or lower. If it is really cold outside I also have a heated battery blanket and a 2 amp smart charger on a second cord. I use a timer to turn them on about 3 hours before my departure time. Makes a huge difference in how fast it warms up and reducing the painful sounds of that cold startup.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I use my block heater whenever the overnight temp is -15C or lower. If it is really cold outside I also have a heated battery blanket and a 2 amp smart charger on a second cord. I use a timer to turn them on about 3 hours before my departure time. Makes a huge difference in how fast it warms up and reducing the painful sounds of that cold startup.
:happy160:

jpin9b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
I use mine. It's the difference between a brief "preheat" and just firing right up. The preheat doesn't take long but I figure the engine is happier with the heater in use. We've had sustained below freezing temperatures this winter so it has been nice to have.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
several nights this winter it got below zero outside, and still pretty dam cold in the garage, so I plugged it in until weather got considerably above zero. Left myself a note on the steering wheel "hey dummy, engine heater plugged in !"
Sounds funny, but I really do it.

Hoakieman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in Oregon of the West side of the Cascades. I drive an '09 2500 6.7. The coldest we had this winter was about 20 deg. but, like some others I leave my block heater and a Battery maintainer on all the time. It starts immediately, and I do believe that it causes less wear on the engine.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't used my block heater since I picked up my truck in 2020 ... The cord is still wrapped and tied since new ... and I'm up here in Canada ... I am surprised that the OEM battery is still working ... The battery in my 2013 was done within 3 weeks of taking delivery ...

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I use mine in the summer. I always use it when I know I'll be driving the truck the next day.

There's no disadvantage to starting a warm engine vs a cold one, especially when the first thing you're doing is towing something.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
on my 14, the cord is ******* at top right side of Rad. It will reach out of the hood at top of headlight, so I keep it under the hood as I don't use it when home. Garage is warm, thou not heated, stays about freezing when -20-30 out

I have started these truck, gas at -40 to -45 with no heater, usually when the breaker goes out on hotels. 5-20 syth oil. When I was still farming stuff was always plugged in in winter below -10.

A PS I guess zip tie must be a no no now, like B.S.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL, I haven't ever used my block heater either, I've been too lazy to connect it.

I'm also surprised the OEM battery hasn't cacked yet. I had a slightly larger than OEM-sized battery in my Tundra and it always sounded better than the Mopar does.

We should be good now until next Fall, at the least. Spring has sprung even though it keeps snowing. :cool:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Have it on my 16 Laramie. Truck stays parked inside most of the time in heated garage. So don't use alot. However if parked outside in Montana winter, it's helpful for shorter warm up time. I've started mine in -50, with and without the block heater. Truck likes it alot more with than without.

Good cold weather feature
i agree. I too park in a heated garage, don't use block heater but I do have a battery tender on it because I don't drive it a lot. Parked outside, anything below 32F or 0 C, truck gets plugged in. That also runs the in-car warmer which means no snow or frost to scrape and the seats are decently warm without having to remote start the truck. The electricity is WAY cheaper than the gas you burn to do the same job and easier on the truck.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I'm in Oregon of the West side of the Cascades. I drive an '09 2500 6.7. The coldest we had this winter was about 20 deg. but, like some others I leave my block heater and a Battery maintainer on all the time. It starts immediately, and I do believe that it causes less wear on the engine.
:happy160:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the seat heater twice this year down here sw fl....lolol

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine seat comes on automatic when it gets cold, though the wife's does not come on with the remote start, same as the steering wheel will heat up. I don't have heated rear seat, don't need that, the dog would have loved that when we still had her.
BTW my truck is still running on the original battery, thou not hi miles yet, about 80k.
My 2010 Laramie did not have heated rear set, I forget if it was auto or not? Getting old.