How Many Have Been Using Their Block Heater This Winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
By gosh, I have had to use mine, even down here in sunny Southern Arizona. Though, not all night. I only plug it in when I get up in the morning.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
By gosh, I have had to use mine, even down here in sunny Southern Arizona. Though, not all night. I only plug it in when I get up in the morning.

Not necessary. I did pop the rubber cap off and saw the plug is staying bright clean and dry. Unless it got down below 10°f I would not even consider it.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been plugging mine in when ever I use it. Mines a grocery getter and I do it so that it will get to operating temperature.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The block heater is recommended by Ram to use when the outside temperature is 0°F or below, I use mine to help get up to operating temperature quicker. I have a smart plug programmed to turn on a couple hours before I plan on leaving if the outside temperature is less than 40°F

bigdodge

Reaction score
Well I finally don't feel so silly doing what you guys are doing. Less idle time in the morning had to be a good thing right.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The new truck starts great in the cold down to about zero. I have not used the block heater at all. It has not been necessary.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ditto what crash68 said. I consider whatever extra I pay on my power bill as an investment in the engine's longevity.
IIRC the block heater is 750 watts like in my 06 so if my math is correct that's about 3 kWh for 4 hours of usage, I looked to see my current electricity cost it's $0.067 per kWh so 4 hours would cost about $0.28 so using it, it saves me $$$ not having to burn diesel to warm up the engine, by having an already warm engine I saw an increase in fuel mileage....

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The new truck starts great in the cold down to about zero. I have not used the block heater at all. It has not be necessary.

I have been able to start a CTD without using the grid heater to -25 below zero without any problems, but by not using the block heater it cost me a lot more burning diesel to warm up the engine to the same temp the block heater could get the engine too in 4-6 hours, the cost of the power for the block heater was/is a lot less then the cost of burning diesel to warm up the engine to the same temp and I'm sure a lot less engine wear at start up by having a warm engine block compared to a cold one...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a block heater on my build sheet but I'm still procrastinating at locating the plug. :cool:

The battery hasn't impressed me with cold starts since I bought the truck in January 2022 and I can't imagine that warming up the block on cold days wouldn't be a smart idea.

I have a heavy-duty timer that I can program to energize 2-3 hours before my departure.
I'm retired and have just been too lazy to set that up.

Maybe, I'll dig out the timer and place it in a tripping hazard location, just to see if I can get that done before the cold is gone for another 6 months. :cool:

Step one is complete. :cool:

Step 1 block htr.jpg

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I saw a block heater on my build sheet but I'm still procrastinating at locating the plug. :cool:

The battery hasn't impressed me with cold starts since I bought the truck in January 2022 and I can't imagine that warming up the block on cold days wouldn't be a smart idea.

I have a heavy-duty timer that I can program to energize 2-3 hours before my departure.
I'm retired and have just been too lazy to set that up.

Maybe, I'll dig out the timer and place it in a tripping hazard location, just see if I can get that done before the cold is gone for another 6 months. :cool:
If you have the cold weather package the end of the cord plug for the block heater IIRC should be located between license plate and tow hook on passenger side...

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the cold weather package the plug for the block heater IIRC should be located between license plate and tow hook on passenger side...

You're just reducing the excuses I have to continue procrastinating.

I'm headed out for supplies in a few minutes and will have another quick peak. Thanks

Update;

Yes, it was included as they had threatened but holy cheap out on cord length. Like that extra 6 to 10 inches might have pushed up the cost too much. :-/

If I chop out a few tie wraps, it might get close to the tow-hook opening but it still might be too short to be very functional.

I'll measure with a piece of rope and if I'm correct, and it's just stupidly short, I'll find a tiny extension cord or make one. I think just inside the tow-hook opening looks like the best spot.

21 block heater.jpg

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
where the plug is is what you get as far as i could see.i was going to snip some ties and wire loom and decided to leave it be.what i did find in my local hardware store was an extension cord specific to block heaters.it flashes red/blue at the female end so you don't forget to unplug it,so of course i had to buy one because you can't have too many extension cords. especially if it's lighty and flashy.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd have to agree with having no limits with the extension cord collection but, I likely have too many already.

I thought I'd try a few quick measurements but I believe extending the cord length is the only practical solution. I don't want to start chopping up the loom where the cord exits.

I have a solution to not forgetting to unplug before lift-off. I'll post a picture once I get it assembled.

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i hang my cord over the drivers side mirror.can't miss it.i also fabbed up a cord pedestal from some rebar to hang the cords on when i go out to town or wherever,when i was teaching myself how to weld, rather than just throwing them on to the snow.i just pound it in to the ground in the fall and pull it in the spring.hopefully i'll have the garage enclosed and heated by next winter and won't have to deal with battery tenders and block heaters and Tesla chargers.the wife wants to have a heated driveway installed so,who knows.if i don't ever have to plow snow again i won't be too sad.

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Or you can wait for oil pressure and some oil circulation and warm up the truck while it is moving.
i prefer to remote start it and finish my coffee.sitting in a cold truck waiting for that tiny circle of windshield to defrost so you can creep down the road? hard pass.plus,i don't want to change my wiper blades 10 times a year from trying to clear ice with washer fluid.