How many miles have you driven your eco diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Just over 20,000 since February 1 on my 2021. Been towing travel trailer all over the country and back twice. Had the first oil and fuel filters change at 8,000 and the second at 17,000 or so. As of last week the 4 OEM Goodyear Wranglers (265/75/18) and crappy donut spare are gone. Replaced with 5 Michelins. The spare is now an identical tire on an identical matching alloy rim.

NEW RAMers: WARNING!!!!!!!
That "Full Size Spare on a Steel Wheel" is NOT what you expect. Its a narrower, lower profile donut. Don't be surprised by it out in the middle of nowhere. Especially towing off road. RAM's idea of a "full size spare on steel rim" is a crime. The spare is not only narrower and lower profile, the tread pattern is nothing you want out there in the rain or even on hard dry dirt. Its got practically no tread. What is criminal to me is that this tire was put on a $60,000 truck with a full trailer tow package.... Something like A 245/55R20. "Full size" my ares!

Now have 38,000 miles.

At 32,000 miles the outside temperature sensor failed (was reading 170 degrees) and was replaced under warranty. When it failed we were in Death Valley. Death Valley is hot, but not that hot! We were towing at the time. The truck was going into EGR regeneration mode every 15 minutes. By cycling the engine off and on a couple of times I got the regens to stop. This procedure is in the owner's manual.

The wiring harness to the transfer case failed last month. It's covered by the 100,000 mile drive train warranty, but the part is on back order (what a SURPRISE). It now has no 4WD. This is a major PITA when you are in charge of a homeowners' community beach, and need to pull boats, docks and other items in and out of the water. Its especially difficult to pull a loaded boat trailer out of the water.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
are you using Tow/Haul mode? Surprised you don't have to change the oil at a faster interval
The oil change gauge allows for about 10,000 miles when not towing. When towing it seems to tell me to get oil changed between 5 and 8,000 miles. I am told that the oil change gauge is driven by how much the truck is sitting at idle and in tow/haul mode. I always use tow haul mode.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Anybody use this kit for oil change?
4th generation ecodiesel? Mine is a 2021 and is considered a third gen ED?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
4th generation ecodiesel? Mine is a 2021 and is considered a third gen ED?
They're referring to the Gen4 truck(DS) but 2ndGen EcoDiesel motor.
Yes your '22 is a 3rdGen EcoDiesel motor and Gen5 truck(DT)
If your wondering there was no 1stGen EcoDiesel motor that was in a production vehicle, R&D only.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am told that the oil change gauge is driven by how much the truck is sitting at idle and in tow/haul mode.
The OLI determines oil life by the duration of engine operating temperatures and rpms, it doesn't matter if the Tow/Haul is selected. The OLI doesn't have a real time clock so it can't take into account if the truck sits for days, weeks, months, etc, that is why they say to not exceed 12 months between oil changes.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 eco-diesel has 61,*** miles on it

It currently has 2100 miles since the last oil change
It also reads 1% Oil Life Left

It has been about a year since i had the last service
I have been seeing several medical personnel, so not driving much

I often get reads outs to do a Regen, they are real close together

ajwilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
im banging on the door of 180,000 on my 2014 Ecodiesel Laramie Longhorn. Love this truck. The biggest thing I’ve had to replace was the water pump. I currently discovered a leak up front and it turns out to the 4WD actuator.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
The 2020+ Ecodiesels have a completely redesigned engine with 80% new parts. It would be good to somehow have two sections one for the 14 to 19s one for the 2020+ Lots of the 14-19s die early from crank/bearings failures. Some rumors a low rpm harmonics crank squirm. Some blame people running less than required spec oil, bulk generic designed for small gas motors such as from a quickie lube. Some rumor fuel dilution from bad tunes especially the AEM and 17+ factory tunes combined with short run times where fuel doesn't have time to evaporate condensation & unburnt diesel. This seems unlikely as it has not met with oil analysis. That said they do not seem to be doomed. From the 1500diesel forum in the 14-19s we have;

517,000 mile still rolling
452,000 high pressure fuel pump implosion
423,000 cracked head
371,000 pushed head gasket
350,000 still rolling.

No bearing failures at least 3 of the 5 aftermarket tuned and run on meets spec oil.

bradpc987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
239000 miles on my 2017 ecodiesel.... The bad news is, I just had it towed home. But she was a tank before that

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Just bought a 2015 ED with 105,000 on it. Pulled the carfax and it was dealer maintainted most of its life with no major work reported; so I am hoping I got one of the good ones that will go another 100k+. So far, I havent driven it past 1 mile (answering OG question).

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Now have 38,000 miles.

At 32,000 miles the outside temperature sensor failed (was reading 170 degrees) and was replaced under warranty. When it failed we were in Death Valley. Death Valley is hot, but not that hot! We were towing at the time. The truck was going into EGR regeneration mode every 15 minutes. By cycling the engine off and on a couple of times I got the regens to stop. This procedure is in the owner's manual.

The wiring harness to the transfer case failed last month. It's covered by the 100,000 mile drive train warranty, but the part is on back order (what a SURPRISE). It now has no 4WD. This is a major PITA when you are in charge of a homeowners' community beach, and need to pull boats, docks and other items in and out of the water. Its especially difficult to pull a loaded boat trailer out of the water.
Now have 45,000 miles. No troubles since the temp sensor. MPGs are up a bit, maybe I don't drive as hard.

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
109 000 km on my 2018 and the engine needs to be replaced. Never missed an oil change and never towed anything. I did NOT get a good one...

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Now have 45,000 miles. No troubles since the temp sensor. MPGs are up a bit, maybe I don't drive as hard.
61,000 as of today. I wish my travel trailer was as reliable as this truck has been. Today the toilet busted. I had to put another 150 miles on the truck (round trip) to get a new one.
RV's suck.

olbedhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab 6'4"
Engine
Ecodiesel
2016 Laramie 4x4 with 66,000 miles. Currently dealing with a disappearing coolant problem but besides that i've had no other issues except for the overhead map light going out.