How many miles have you driven your eco diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Just over 20,000 since February 1 on my 2021. Been towing travel trailer all over the country and back twice. Had the first oil and fuel filters change at 8,000 and the second at 17,000 or so. As of last week the 4 OEM Goodyear Wranglers (265/75/18) and crappy donut spare are gone. Replaced with 5 Michelins. The spare is now an identical tire on an identical matching alloy rim.

NEW RAMers: WARNING!!!!!!!
That "Full Size Spare on a Steel Wheel" is NOT what you expect. Its a narrower, lower profile donut. Don't be surprised by it out in the middle of nowhere. Especially towing off road. RAM's idea of a "full size spare on steel rim" is a crime. The spare is not only narrower and lower profile, the tread pattern is nothing you want out there in the rain or even on hard dry dirt. Its got practically no tread. What is criminal to me is that this tire was put on a $60,000 truck with a full trailer tow package.... Something like A 245/55R20. "Full size" my ares!
are you using Tow/Haul mode? Surprised you don't have to change the oil at a faster interval

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
are you using Tow/Haul mode? Surprised you don't have to change the oil at a faster interval
Tow/haul mode, yes, it's always engaged when towing. I have the 3.92 gear ratio and am not a speedster. I closely watch the temps on the vehicle information screen and check oil levels before and after each day when towing. But, and its a big one, we live in the middle of nowhere in the Finger Lakes of upstate NY. The nearest grocery store or gas/diesel station is 15 miles of highway driving. We do very, very, very little city or suburban driving. The only idling it does is when I am moving and hooking up boat trailers around the beach or moving the RV.

I love this truck. Torque, great mileage, luxury ride. Before new tires I got MPGs of 28 to 30 when not towing and 12-13 when towing, depending on grade and speed. Recent trip to Virginia along I-81 I kept to speed limit and got 33 mpg, hand calculated. I expect the MPGs to go down a little bit with new gripier Michelin tires.

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Tow/haul mode, yes, it's always engaged when towing. I have the 3.92 gear ratio and am not a speedster. I closely watch the temps on the vehicle information screen and check oil levels before and after each day when towing. But, and its a big one, we live in the middle of nowhere in the Finger Lakes of upstate NY. The nearest grocery store or gas/diesel station is 15 miles of highway driving. We do very, very, very little city or suburban driving. The only idling it does is when I am moving and hooking up boat trailers around the beach or moving the RV.

I love this truck. Torque, great mileage, luxury ride. Before new tires I got MPGs of 28 to 30 when not towing and 12-13 when towing, depending on grade and speed. Recent trip to Virginia along I-81 I kept to speed limit and got 33 mpg, hand calculated. I expect the MPGs to go down a little bit with new gripier Michelin tires.
do you use a fuel additive or anything? 28 to 30 is pretty dang good

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I use something in winter to prevent fuel jelling. I forget what exactly; its a gray bottle sold everywhere around here. The winter mix diesel sold around here just doesn't always cut it. We don't have a garage, so between home and where I work, at a local ski resort, it can be 10 degrees colder than the nearest city, which is Syracuse, certainly no global hot spot either.

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
gotcha, yea that can pretty cold in that part of the country. How long do you have to let your truck warm up in the winter?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Videos about Ecodiesel mods, mostly made by Shawn Capson
This is mostly for the the newer members on this site

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
GTyankee, That stuff never panned out to be a problem ie a solution. Shawn has long passed on. He was well intentioned. D&J naturally didn’t have success in selling Shawn’s ideas and stopped. No one has made the effort to get the videos some of which are good removed.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Been a while since I’ve popped in here.

2017 Eco
71,000 miles
Only problems to date have been;
-Turbo underboost code, (GDE fixed that for me)
- Oil temp sensor bad (40$ For new sensor)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove mine just under 11K before I traded it in for a Hemi.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
100,100 miles on my 2015. 60,000 on first engine and 50,000 on #2 The only things replaced are oils, engine, oil cooler, and filters. OPPS repost