How many of you have a spare key on your vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
So I’ve recently run across several
posts (here and other forums) about folks getting locked out of their vehicles. With today’s electronic keys, this can be particularly problematic. Seems a very easy way to NOT get into this situation would to have a spare key hidden somewhere on your vehicle. Am I the only one who does this? Is there any reason not to?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't ever hide a spare key on my vehicles because with my luck someone would find it and steel my truck. I also installed push button start on my truck and enabled the Fobik safe feature that doesn't allow me to lock the fob in the truck. The fob pretty much just stays in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I carry a spare "door lock" key whenever I go out. On the MY 19, U can have an oops and have truck running, and U can lock the FOB in the vehicle. Truck off, system will unlock door 2 times. Third time, well on U.

OP
OP
R

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I don't ever hide a spare key on my vehicles because with my luck someone would find it and steel my truck. I also installed push button start on my truck and enabled the Fobik safe feature that doesn't allow me to lock the fob in the truck. The fob pretty much just stays in my pocket.

But what if your key fob gets stolen or lost (a recent scenario posted on this forum) if you aren’t near a dealership who can (and will) program a new fob you’re pretty much f***ked. I am often camping/rafting/horseback riding literally hundreds of miles from any dealership and being locked out of my truck would mean a VERY VERY long walk even to get a cell phone signal. But that’s why I posted this “poll” post to see what other people’s backup plans are.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fobik key with the black part cut off gorilla taped inside my wallet. Fobik hidden in the truck, good luck finding it. I fly a lot and leave my truck in long-term storage at the Airport. I can't imagine coming back from a trip and not knowing where my regular fobik is.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But what if your key fob gets stolen or lost (a recent scenario posted on this forum) if you aren’t near a dealership who can (and will) program a new fob you’re pretty much f***ked. I am often camping/rafting/horseback riding literally hundreds of miles from any dealership and being locked out of my truck would mean a VERY VERY long walk even to get a cell phone signal. But that’s why I posted this “poll” post to see what other people’s backup plans are.
I can program the fob myself providing I had or could find one. I have the Alfa app and keep my OBD tool in my truck at all times. I keep a pretty close eye on my keys so it would be pretty hard for someone to steel them. My wife has the spare key and I suppose I could have her drive or fly to wherever I was to bring it to me as a last resort because if someone had my keys I wouldn't let my truck out of my sight until I had my spare set and could get it home and change my keys. I have seen the scenario several times were people's vehicles were stolen because thieves found their hidden keys. I guess it just depends on what you are most leary of. I guess just hiding the actual door key and then having the fob hidden somewhere in the truck could be an option.

OP
OP
R

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I can program the fob myself providing I had or could find one. I have the Alfa app and keep my OBD tool in my truck at all times. I keep a pretty close eye on my keys so it would be pretty hard for someone to steel them. My wife has the spare key and I suppose I could have her drive or fly to wherever I was to bring it to me as a last resort because if someone had my keys I wouldn't let my truck out of my sight until I had my spare set and could get it home and change my keys. I have seen the scenario several times were people's vehicles were stolen because thieves found their hidden keys. I guess it just depends on what you are most leary of.

You’re right. It all depends on your risk level. I live in a rural, very low crime area so lost keys or accidentally locking keys in the vehicle happen FAR more often than theft. In fact, most people rarely even take their keys out of the ignition, much less lock their doors. Plenty of dogs lock the owners out of their own vehicles while they’re in the grocery store, though!

How about keeping an unprogrammed fob somewhere in your truck? No one could use it but you after you programmed it. That would eliminate trying to locate the right fob on a weekend when everything’s closed.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You know that there 2 types fobs

This is a FOB
2016-ram-1500-remote-w-engine-start-20.jpg

This is the RKE

-1500-smart-keyless-entry-remote-w-engine-start-17.jpg

This is a 3rd type, it is called a
Transponder Key

2016-dodge-ram-truck-transponder-key-blank-7.jpg

They all have to be programmed with a programming tool
dealerships, many locksmiths & some people have the correct device to program any one of them
The FOB & RKEs come with a Valet key within the case. The Transponder key, as you can see the key blade & the chip is inside of the head of it

Look at the car and truck remotes ( 1 word ) website

prices are $ 8.95 transponder type
$99.95 RKE
$49.95 FOB

they do have refurbished units sometimes

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I happened to have a spare door key that is inside the real key. It may be somewhere zip tied to truck. This only works if you always carry a pocket knife. It won't crank truck but will unlock doors and water should not effect it.

OP
OP
R

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I happened to have a spare door key that is inside the real key. It may be somewhere zip tied to truck. This only works if you always carry a pocket knife. It won't crank truck but will unlock doors and water should not effect it.
I did that with my previous truck. Door unlock key hidden on the outside and fob to start the truck hidden on the inside. So a thief would have to find both. Also discovered that if you lock your truck with the fob and then unlock it with the manual key, it sets off the alarm. That Would draw attention to a thief before they had time to look for the ignition fob.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You could always get a locking fuel door
Put the FOB inside of it & just carry the key for the lock

Companies like AMI make very good locking filler doors

X3p8DD.jpg

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a regular key cut then cut the ears off then taped to a wire that I can get to when truck is locked
I can get inside the truck to get fob locked inside or a dry sheltered place to wait for help or wife with spare

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A key that is flat and fits in your wallet is what I recommend. If you at least know your key code for the cuts, any locksmith can cut a key. You can put the code on your smart phone contact list. I have taught myself to read the cuts and can figure out your code from a pic of your key blade. Just send as pic of the key blade to my email, alpinegreenneon at neons dot org. It's something I do free, not selling anything, and I delete the emails afterwards.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
truck won't let you leave the key too close, and also if it is a keyless entry key, and it is "in range", it will basically leave the truck unlocked.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’ve recently run across several
posts (here and other forums) about folks getting locked out of their vehicles. With today’s electronic keys, this can be particularly problematic. Seems a very easy way to NOT get into this situation would to have a spare key hidden somewhere on your vehicle. Am I the only one who does this? Is there any reason not to?
No, but I do not keep a key(or FOB), in/on/hidden ref vehicle, I always carry a spare (known as a valet key now), on a ring along with tonneau cover lock wheneva I drive the Red Beast.

OP
OP
R

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
truck won't let you leave the key too close, and also if it is a keyless entry key, and it is "in range", it will basically leave the truck unlocked.
Yeah, my BF has this trouble with his Ford. But we discovered if the fob is wrapped in tin foil and hidden at the back of the vehicle it would not be detected.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '21 1500 Classic Warlock has a Smart FOB that I lockup in the box when I go scuba diving.
The Roll'N'Lock cover is close to indestructible and I clip the small key into a drysuit pocket.

I was surprised that the proximity door unlock couldn't receive signal from the FOB in the box, works great for me. Maybe the Roll'N'Lock cover shields the RF signal or the system was designed that way. :cool:

I'd still like to have a valet key to get into the cab area like I had with my last truck.
I refuse to pay $110 for a crummy flat key worth 99 cents.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
key?? what is this you're talking of? mine has no keys at all.the wifes tesla doesn't even have a fob.it's all done on our smartphones.there is a wallet card for taking up valuable slots in my wallet tho'.