How many of you have a spare key on your vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2 Fobs and an extra key cut that I carry on a ring along with the locking key to my tonneau cover. Always carry just in case monster F U B A R and lock FOB into truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just like a wallet that blocks electronic signal, so no one can read your ATM & Credit Cards while in your wallet
You can buy a Faraday wallet

You can hide your FOB or RKE in your vehicle, in a Faraday Box

someone mentioned aluminum foil, that is actually a simple way to make a Faraday Cage

In your house, your FOB or RKE can still be read by knowledgeable thieves.

FARADAY BAGS & BOXES

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I keep a spare "valet key" hidden on my truck. It only opens the doors. Saved me several times from having locked the fob in the truck. I used AlfaOBD to program an extra fob that I keep in the living quarters horse trailer. As mentioned earlier, loosing your fob while camping hundreds of miles from the nearest dealership on a Sunday can be very problematic.

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pay for the phone app service that let's me unlock my car from my phone. Have it on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and my Ram 2500.Already saved my ass twice.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
chovyfu
What you pay for Uconnect Advantage or Sirius Guardian for 3 months, i pay AAA for free Locksmith, 200 mile free towing, free jump starts, etc.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
chovyfu
What you pay for Uconnect Advantage or Sirius Guardian for 3 months, i pay AAA for free Locksmith, 200 mile free towing, free jump starts, etc.
Curious about response times for AAA locksmith outside of populated areas. I know my kids have waited over an hour in a populated area. Also, what about a lost FOB? Not sure AAA locksmith carry FOBs for all makes and models. Believe the RF Hub PIN would still be required to have the truck accept a new FOB.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you call AAA, you can tell them that you would like to have a mobile locksmith that has a FOB Programmer

If a Locksmith is not available, they call a Tow Truck, the driver normally carries a set of Slim Jims
( i have a full set, my neighbors knock on my door to borrow them )

Tow truck drivers also carry a set of wedges & air bags

The tow truck driver can tow it, even if they can't open it

You are correct, if you have a spare FOB, the tow truck can be avoided

I carry a spare FOB in the tool box in the trucks bed, when i will be out of State

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
For those of you storing a FOB in the truck, I suggest you take the battery out of it. If you have push button start, a thief does not have to find the FOB, just has to hit the start button. Even hidden in the box, the truck will start, I tried it.

Also, a live FOB will draw down the FOB battery fairly fast and it will also cause a serious drain on the vehicle battery, as the truck does not go to sleep properly. If it is left parked for a week you can read the draw down on a Voltmeter, after 2 weeks, it will draw enough battery juice to make starting the truck in cold weather very iffy.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those of you storing a FOB in the truck, I suggest you take the battery out of it.

That sounds like a great idea to preserve battery life (truck & FOB) and for security.

If you have push button start, a thief does not have to find the FOB, just has to hit the start button.
Even hidden in the box, the truck will start, I tried it.

Were you able to start the truck with the FOB located anywhere in the box?

I tried that with my '21 Warlock and was pleasantly surprised that I was unable to open the door or start the truck.
IIRC, I tested this procedure with my Roll-N-Lock cover wide O.
Now I want to see if there is a different sensitivity throughout the box area, more testing. :cool:

I periodically lock a FOB in the box while underwater, if a buddy's vehicle is unavailable. The Roll-N-Lock cover is better than most for being secure, but not impossible to breach.

And, I always test sweep a front door handle to make sure it doesn't release, before leaving.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
When I locked the FOB in the glove box the touchless open did not work on the truck. You either needed another FOB or the Valet key. I believe this is so you can lock the doors while you are in the truck and someone can't just walk up and open the door, unless they have a FOB on them. If the FOB was located outside the Cab I could see the touchless release working.

As far as starting, key anywhere in the cab truck starts. I have an 8' box, and even with the FOB in the tool box right at the back, the truck started. Truck was pretty new, so batteries in the FOB would have been at full strength. Have not re-tried it now that truck is a year and a half old. Also did not try touchless entry with the FOB there. Would be worth checking.

Still think the best answer is to just store a spare one in the cab somewhere with no battery in it and a valet key hidden outside.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I locked the FOB in the glove box the touchless open did not work on the truck. You either needed another FOB or the Valet key. I believe this is so you can lock the doors while you are in the truck and someone can't just walk up and open the door, unless they have a FOB on them. If the FOB was located outside the Cab I could see the touchless release working.

As far as starting, key anywhere in the cab truck starts. I have an 8' box, and even with the FOB in the tool box right at the back, the truck started. Truck was pretty new, so batteries in the FOB would have been at full strength. Have not re-tried it now that truck is a year and a half old. Also did not try touchless entry with the FOB there. Would be worth checking.

Still think the best answer is to just store a spare one in the cab somewhere with no battery in it and a valet key hidden outside.

Interesting, thanks for the details.

I know if I leave a FOB in the truck and lock the doors, it has a fit, honking the horn and unlocking immediately upon closing the door.

My truck was a few months old when I tested it. IIRC, I even moved the FOB to the front of the box, just below the cab, still a no-go.

You've piqued my curiosity to perform more detailed testing again, thanks. :cool:

Next time I take a drive, I'll try a few tests and report.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Interesting, thanks for the details.

I know if I leave a FOB in the truck and lock the doors, it has a fit, honking the horn and unlocking immediately upon closing the door.

My truck was a few months old when I tested it. IIRC, I even moved the FOB to the front of the box, just below the cab, still a no-go.

You've piqued my curiosity to perform more detailed testing again, thanks. :cool:

Next time I take a drive, I'll try a few tests and report.
If you leave the FOB in the truck and use another FOB it will lock immediately. If you try to use the electric lock button it will unlock twice then lock on the third try. If you lock all the doors, get out, push down the silver manual lock it will lock first try. That is how guys accidentally lock themselves out of their trucks, they hit that with their elbow or hand getting out.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I've seen the Faraday boxes and nowadays believe it's a necessity due to this being a real threat in my area:

My challenge is that I have several vehicles with each one I've got more than two fobs for....so Faraday box is going to need to be good sized. Haven't found cost effective solution yet that is big enough. And I like to be organized so not just throw them all in a big bag/box.

Maybe I'll just make a good sized key lock box with hang hooks and Faraday as I've seen the material for sale....

Cheapstreetduster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my question: on a 2021 Ram
Can i change the key fob program on my Truck? I have an ex who stole my key fob . Can i change my trucks programming so the old fobs no longer work? Get new /different programmed fobs?
Whats the solution to this?

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Here is my question:
Can i change the key fob program on my Truck? I have an ex who stole my key fob . Can i change my trucks programming so the old fobs no longer work? Get new /different programmed fobs?
Whats the solution to this?
Yes, the dealer or a good auto locksmith can do that for you easily.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am not sure about this, but a Mobile Locksmith could answer that question for sure..
My thoughts .............

I believe that there is no way to reprogram your FOB
Even if you erase the FOBs, using magnetism,the FOB would be clear of memory, but the Ignition Switch is what holds the code in memory on 2012 Dodge Rams.

On newer Rams that use RKE, ( Remote Keyless Entry ), you would need to change out the RF Hub, that is mounted behind the rear seat fastened to the rear wall of the cab

DutchRamRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A spare keyless go key:
Leave it in the truck, without the battery inside! This way, you dont need a faraday box.
When you open the truck, you need to press startbutton with the key. (even without battery)
Ignition will come on, the alarm will shutdown.

==========================
Older trucks, with fobik style.
Very likely, you could use Alfaobd to delete all keys, and re-program excisting keys.
There is no minimum key limit. (Fords do needs a minimum 2 keys programmed)

I never used Alfaobd, to program keys.
Start with reading the pincode.
Or request the pin code from your dealer.
Then you can start with Alfaobd.

(Fobik keyless, also take the battery out, to leave these in the car)

=============================
A spare metal blade, to open your door.
Many can cut these.
I cut these, from a decent picture. Or by code.
The key cutting code, can also be requested from a dealer.
CY24 blade key type.

Last edited:

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a couple layers of protection. I had an extra door key made which I hid on the vehicle while hiding my spare key fob in another location that can't be detected by the truck.

I also have the Ram Lifestyle App (pic below) which allows me to remote start it, lock/unlock doors or even honk horn if I want to mess with someone...lol. It also provides the exact location of my truck at all times. I do have to pay for the subscription but so far its been worth it...I like having it especially when its really cold or hot out and I can start it no matter how far away I am or if I do forget to lock it and I am out of range.
Pic of Ram App.jpg

That being said, I did just recently learned that if I leave my fob in the truck and remote start it with the app, the fob gets locked inside the truck. I panicked at first when I went to open the door and it was locked with the engine running and the fob inside...then I realized I can just unlock it with the app, but not so fast, the unlock feature on the app does not work if you remote started it and engine is running, so I panicked again then realized I just need to cancel the engine start (another feature on app) then I was able to remotely unlock the doors. You might ask why didn't you just use the extra door key you had hidden on truck...great question...due to my initial panicked condition, I forgot all about it ...what an idiot.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sometimes we outsmart ourselves. I hid a key in a grill. Forgot about it until I moved the grill and it came falling out probably 2 yrs later lol

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I have a spare to everything. It either came with it or I purchased a spare.

Unless we're going on a trip, I leave them in the safe at home.