How much brake fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I will be replacing my rear brakes soon and figured I should flush my fluid too. I've always had the dealer do it, but not this time. I've watched several how-to vids and ordered this power bleeder. My only question at the moment is, how much brake fluid do I need to flush all four calipers?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to suggest 2x large containers of brake fluid. I guess my machine takes more to operate. Either way, you don't want to run short during the job, or if your pet tips one over on the ground during the process (or any number of other possibilities). Maybe get three small containers just in case. The power bleeder itself will hold some which won't get picked up. Return whatever you don't use. Personally that's what I would do. Typically a farm & barn place will have the best prices.

Just don't run it low. Otherwise you'll open up a new can of worms and extra work. It's easier than ya think bc new fluid should be clear as gin. Your power bleeder should make the process very smooth (smart move btw).

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be replacing my rear brakes soon and figured I should flush my fluid too. I've always had the dealer do it, but not this time. I've watched several how-to vids and ordered this power bleeder. My only question at the moment is, how much brake fluid do I need to flush all four calipers?
It's a nice bleeder, I use the same one. I also recommend their little bleed bottle for the caliper side, super nice with a little hangar. Keeps everything nice and clean.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Thank for the responses! Something else I forgot to ask. I see you need to remove old brake fluid from the master cylinder with a turkey baster before you get started, but none of the how to vids I've seen say how much. Would it be to the low fill line or as much as you can get out?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank for the responses! Something else I forgot to ask. I see you need to remove old brake fluid from the master cylinder with a turkey baster before you get started, but none of the how to vids I've seen say how much. Would it be to the low fill line or as much as you can get out?
The more the better, get all you can out so you have less old to push through the lines.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
The more the better, get all you can out so you have less old to push through the lines.
Thanks! I also ran into this video just now. Essentially the same as you described.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Buy at least two 32oz containers of fluid and after flushing take the truck on a slick road and slam on the brakes a couple times to operate the ABS to circulate fresh fluid in the module.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Buy at least two 32oz containers of fluid and after flushing take the truck on a slick road and slam on the brakes a couple times to operate the ABS to circulate fresh fluid in the module.
:grd: LOL

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't use a turkey baster, it's too big, use your pump! Great pump by the way, have the same one. Get 2qty quarts of fluid. Drain and refill the master several times, pumping many times between changes. Once the master is clean then start on the calipers.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I extract as much fluid out of the resevoir as I can, then I begin the work replacing the pads. During that, you should be collapsing the piston into the caliper, which back feeds more fluid back into the resevoir from the lines. I then suck that out before I start the bleeding process. I use 1 large Pentonsin super DOT 4 to do all 4 corners.
https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-1204116-Super-Brake-Fluid/dp/B007PCQCIU?th=1

I find it helpful to have one of these too, https://www.amazon.com/GreatNeck-QR...sh+button+quick+release+c+clamp,aps,87&sr=8-2 to compress the caliper

And one of these to hang the caliper...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXOLITC/?coliid=I3EDCR7FEB1O9B&colid=2ASDOY1INH34T&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1