How much is to much power??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've been toying around with the idea of upgrading my fueling, adding compound turbo system and a Snow Performance methanol injection system on my Ram 3500 Cummins. The truck runs pretty good now but like anybody else I wonder what more power would feel like?? Some of you guys that are running 800/1000+ hp tell me if the expense is worth the extra power and headaches?? Was there a certain point that components started breaking??

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More power is always a good thing. Most of it depends on how deep your pockets are. "Too much power" means to me when you are spending "household" money on your truck instead of where it really belongs. Just my .02. I'm in no way being "preachy", just my opinion.
Jay

Last edited:

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd ask myself what you are going to do with all that power. If it's just to brag and you have the extra cash then do it up! With new 3500s being able to pull enough to require a CDL I think they already have enough. :)

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Too much power is when you can't put it to the ground. Power no good if you can't hookup and move

OP
OP
Ram444

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm wondering at what level does stock parts start to break (or the point of diminishing return)?? I'm running over 600hp now and the trucks seems to tolerate it well. For daily driving I leave it on eco tune with perhaps 430-440 hp but occasionally take it up to level 4. If I add the methanol injection I'll be near 700 hp and a compound system would certainly push the envelope. I'm thinking the Aisin stock transmission could safely hold 700 as long as it doesn't live there. Revmax offers and upgrade for the Aisin good for 850. Again, somewhere along the way drive shafts, axles, u joints start to explode. I'm just looking for a solid number to shoot for that the stock driveline will tolerate given an Revmax Aisin upgrade.

Last edited:

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
but will the driveshaft/u-joints/rear axle handle it?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It might not be the power itself, but how you use it. Pulling a sled---drag racing---or just driving "normal" and goosing it every once in awhile. I think that long sustained pulling(like a sled) or the sudden launch of drag racing, when all the torque is applied suddenly is when most damage is done to parts(driveshafts, u joints, trans, clutches, tires, gears, etc etc. Maybe more research on sites that have guys that have built some of these "super" diesel trucks might shed some light on just how much some of these parts will take in any given situation.
Jay