How much of a drop for my 3500 hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Get a drop shank that will allow the trailer to be towed level.

That's all that matters. Level towing. Measure twice, buy once.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’ve pulled my Imagine 3000qb thousands of miles on a Reese hitch with 2” shank and a reducer, zero issue. Also a flat deck trailer. You will want like 8” of drop for that truck to have the flexibility towing different things.

Personally I wouldn’t worry much about using weight distribution with your new truck and trailer combo. If you upgraded to longer heavier trailer then yes.

I agree with this right here. I've been pulling our roughly 7/7500 lb loaded TT with a 2" shank WD system and a factory reducer with no issues. The only reason I need to replace the pin is because wintertime salt is making it hard to pull the keeper pin out. I can still do it but it isn't the easiest, though it makes it harder for someone to steal my hitch.

I think it's a Curt WD system I'm using, I have their 'extended drop' shank which gives me up to 8" of drop, it is set at about 6" of drop so I still have a couple holes left, but that's where my camper pulls level.

For all other trailers I have a B&W dual-ball setup with up to 8" of drop. Works well, I put it all the way down for my flatbed, about 2" up for my boat. I haven't had to have it higher than that.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I'm getting the B&W Chrome 3 Ball Drop Hitch for non-tailer pulling. It gives me my weight rating, all towing possibilities, and looks nice, IMO. If I can buy a ball from Weigh Safe to fit the WDH and its not close in price to the B&W - I will get that.
Instead of spending the extra cash on the B&W hitch, the Weigh Safe True Tow gives you the option to use the shank with their own ball adapter:

Save you space and money. IF you haven't already bought the B&W hitch.