How much of this is really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder what manufacturing genious at RAM changed the design of the tailgate latch? Did he save 4 cents per vehicle and cost them hundreds of millions in recalls?

Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

great blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ZOE, you are doing it right. Brake fluid is hydroponic (absorbs water) and can cause caliper seizures. It happened to me while towing a travel trailer. Wrecked the axle, bearings, and more. Mercedes regularly changes brake fluid during some of its services.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
ZOE, you are doing it right. Brake fluid is hydroponic (absorbs water) and can cause caliper seizures. It happened to me while towing a travel trailer. Wrecked the axle, bearings, and more. Mercedes regularly changes brake fluid during some of its services.

It grows plants in water????????????????????

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not only does moisture promote corrosion within the brake system parts, it also lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid, which is never a good thing.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took my truck in for 30,000 mile service last week. When the service writer told me all the stuff they wanted to do I about s**t myself. I told him to only change the oil and give an itemized list, with price of what they wanted to do. I have no problem following the prescribed services, but this seems a little over the top. Is all of this really needed, or are they trying to pay for someones Christmas bonus with my truck? BTW, I did have the tire replaced at my local Discount tire and it was $100 less than the dealership wanted.

View attachment 508468
Nice truck.
The extra $100 was for the lot boy to take the tire off and run it over th the tire shop.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope... it's a scam..... you can do all that yourself, exception being the tire.... for a little of nothing but time... and time spent bonding with your Truck is valuable!

gkp541

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
over the course of 71+ years I've found the FEW & FAR BETWEEN DEALERSHIPS are any where near 100% honest, in particular are the ones who have recently changed ownership. They paid way too much for it and have to make up that inflated purchase price somehow. If at all possible a person can do some searching on the dealership's owner but I fear the story there will likely be pretty much the same.......
Often there is no other recourse so there's that, a person can argue the cost down, or try I guess I should say, "dealerships" just like the salesmen that work for them will lie to your face without blinking an eye I've found long ago but then so will "grandma selling her grandson's vehicle" so it's a "do your diligence" world anyway .......

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes!! MAYBE in about 200,000 miles!!
Too many factors to make that prediction. I've seen failures occur in less than 100k miles. Is it really worth taking the chance? You might get away with not doing oil changes for a long time too. But that doesn't mean you should.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Too many factors to make that prediction. I've seen failures occur in less than 100k miles. Is it really worth taking the chance? You might get away with not doing oil changes for a long time too. But that doesn't mean you should.
And once again your failure to change your brake fluid every 10,000 miles will kill bus loads of Nuns. Think of the children. You have been banging this drum the whole thread. Jeez Louise, give it a rest. Being a mod doesn't make u omnipotent. Buy the ten dollar tester and change the fluid when it tells you there is enough water in it to need changing. Up here that is about 125,000 miles, same as pad replacement timing.

Last edited:

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously I was being sarcastic with the 200,000 mile remark...but maybe not.But the subject isn't oil changes, very few dispute the importance of that. I've owned vehicles for 55 yrs, probably longer than most here. The first 18 yrs in Maine where it gets down below -20 many times every winter. I remember in the late 70's I owned a Chevy LUV truck, most have never heard of them! . Many times in the morning, minus 20 degrees or so if there was snow on the road the left rear wheel would drag on the snow for a mile or two until the rear end grease warmed up. I dare say if there was moisture in the brake fluid there would of been no brakes! Many of my vehicles back then had well over 100,000 miles on them. In those days many engines were ready for rings and bearings, at the least, around 100,000 miles. I always kept the shoes/pads drums/rotors up to date and never had a break failure. AND never one time have I changed/flushed the brake fluid and have no intention of some upselling dealer talking me into it now.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And once again your failure to change your brake fluid every 10,000 miles will kill bus loads of Nuns. Think of the children. You have been banging this drum the whole thread. Jeez Louise, give it a rest. Being a mod doesn't make u omnipotent. Buy the ten dollar tester and change the fluid when it tells you there is enough water in it to need changing. Up here that is about 125,000 miles, same as pad replacement timing.
Banging what drum? I mentioned it one time, then defended my position one time...in 8 pages. Is that what you consider banging my drum the whole thread?

People are free to maintain their trucks however they see fit. But if someone asks a question about someting I have experience with I'm going to give my opinion. Being a moderator has nothing to do with it. This is a forum, where healthy discussion is encouraged. If you have a good argument against something I've said I'm happy to hear it. But there's no need to be snide in your responses if you disagree.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Obviously I was being sarcastic with the 200,000 mile remark...but maybe not.But the subject isn't oil changes, very few dispute the importance of that. I've owned vehicles for 55 yrs, probably longer than most here. The first 18 yrs in Maine where it gets down below -20 many times every winter. I remember in the late 70's I owned a Chevy LUV truck, most have never heard of them! . Many times in the morning, minus 20 degrees or so if there was snow on the road the left rear wheel would drag on the snow for a mile or two until the rear end grease warmed up. I dare say if there was moisture in the brake fluid there would of been no brakes! Many of my vehicles back then had well over 100,000 miles on them. In those days many engines were ready for rings and bearings, at the least, around 100,000 miles. I always kept the shoes/pads drums/rotors up to date and never had a break failure. AND never one time have I changed/flushed the brake fluid and have no intention of some upselling dealer talking me into it now.
I've been driving since 1979, and been maintaining my own vehicles for just as long. I remember the Chevy LUV LOL. It was the predecessor to the Chevy S10.

I've seen my share of rusted out brake parts, as I'm sure you have. Pitted master and ***** cylinders. Rusted through brake lines. All directly attributed to moisture in the brake fluid. If I had flushed the fluid every couple of years that wouldn't have happened, or at least would have been significantly reduced. But I didn't know back then what I know now, so that service never happened. It's true that these issues never caused total brake failures for me. But it did cause brake degradation on some of those cars and trucks. And nearly caused an accident on one occasion in particular. I don't pay someone else to flush my brake systems. I service my own vehicles, so the only cost is for the new brake fluid and a little bit of my time. People who pay for service are at the mercy of their local shops and the advice of others.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Banging what drum? I mentioned it one time, then defended my position one time...in 8 pages. Is that what you consider banging my drum the whole thread?

People are free to maintain their trucks however they see fit. But if someone asks a question about someting I have experience with I'm going to give my opinion. Being a moderator has nothing to do with it. This is a forum, where healthy discussion is encouraged. If you have a good argument against something I've said I'm happy to hear it. But there's no need to be snide in your responses if you disagree.
You are right. I mistook your post that I quoted for someone esle's and I mixed two threads. My apologies.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer wanted to charge me for pushing the wheel speed sensor wire back into its clip for
a great price of $75.00.
The "dealer" never "wanted" anything. They are a business entity, and, as such, must charge for their time and services, and that 75 dollars were their charges. They cannot pay their mortgage and lights without income to cover business expenses.

Years ago, I levied a 15 dollar extra charge on a fellow's car for drilling and inserting thread repair (heli-coil) during an A/C compressor repair. Fact was, a previous "mechanic" had cross threaded one of the bolts which held the compressor to an aluminum bracket.
He came by and argued his point, that the repair if the thread should be done free as part of the repair. I noticed that he, like me, was a blue collar worker, as evidenced by his attire.

So, I asked him how he would feel if, at his work, a boss asked him to perform any of his duties, regardless of how trite, off the clock (i.e. Free)
He pondered for a few seconds and became less brusque, and said he saw my point, and agreed that the charge was warranted.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been driving since 1979, and been maintaining my own vehicles for just as long. I remember the Chevy LUV LOL. It was the predecessor to the Chevy S10.

I've seen my share of rusted out brake parts, as I'm sure you have. Pitted master and ***** cylinders. Rusted through brake lines. All directly attributed to moisture in the brake fluid. If I had flushed the fluid every couple of years that wouldn't have happened, or at least would have been significantly reduced. But I didn't know back then what I know now, so that service never happened. It's true that these issues never caused total brake failures for me. But it did cause brake degradation on some of those cars and trucks. And nearly caused an accident on one occasion in particular. I don't pay someone else to flush my brake systems. I service my own vehicles, so the only cost is for the new brake fluid and a little bit of my time. People who pay for service are at the mercy of their local shops and the advice of others.
I owned a 1980 Chevy LUV!! During the winter of 1983, right after Hurricane Alecia had hit Houston in September, our temps here in Houston were 10 degreesF. with a much colder chill factor from wind.
I had to cut out a piece of cardboard from a large box, cut an 8 inch square window in it's center, and slide it between the A/C condenser and radiator in order for the coolant to remain hot enough to maintain heat from the HVAC inside the truck while going down the road! It was a red truck and was great. I foolishly sold it in 1985, and wished I hadn't for quite a while!

No computers! Just fun!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Lube the bleeders and do it yourself you can get a self bleeding kit cheap tires from a dealership no but you already did that

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Almost 200 usd for a coolant flush they better lay off the crack it’s turning their brain into mush

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Judging by the op you are probably a young person that is not much on wrenching (yet)old farts like me are full of two things one is advice take the time to learn about your truck and how to fix it and over the years it will save you money and maybe your life one day unless you take your truck swimming it takes a long time to contaminate brake fluid as mentioned you can test it