How much of this is really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Contaminated is the correct word there’s probably bits of friction plates usually transmission fluid is red it’s usually brown and slightly burnt smelling when it needs to be replaced a new transmission costs a lot you might want to change the filter and fluid before you have to replace your transmission

I didn't use that word.

You are contaminating this thread!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Dirty/contaminated same thing if it’s not dirty/contaminated why are you changing it there’s a filter in there for a reason and I’m pretty sure it needs to be replaced too do what you want to your truck but I tend to follow mfg recamendations

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just wish I had a lift…Changing the trans fluid/filter seems no fun laying on your back…How level does it have to be meaning if you were off a few degrees?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yes, I said that.

No, what you said was "At 60k you have all fresh and no old." Is English your native language? If not, I won't bust your balls too much. If it is, then you should know that's not the same thing in the slightest.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I would say if the front is up you can loosen up the bolts and tilt the pan to drain it it’s apita and messy that’s why I get a shop to do it and then I inspect it before I leave their lot you can get kits to add a drain plug to make it easier

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say if the front is up you can loosen up the bolts and tilt the pan to drain it it’s apita and messy that’s why I get a shop to do it and then I inspect it before I leave their lot you can get kits to add a drain plug to make it easier
Ive seen those and other pans that have the removable/replaceable filter cartridge. I thought to fill it you had to have the pan 100% level, slight nose up attitude?

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
You have no fresh it’s only slightly less dirty and still running trough a dirty filter so it’s clean for about 2seconds until it’s mixed in

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
To check it yes but you can raise it up do the work then lower it to check it should be level and in park

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The nose up just to buy room and help with draining if you have a pw no need you can do it without jacks mine is apita because I have my skid plates and rock sliders on

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Dirty/contaminated same thing if it’s not dirty/contaminated why are you changing it there’s a filter in there for a reason and I’m pretty sure it needs to be replaced too do what you want to your truck but I tend to follow mfg recamendations

I didn't use the word 'dirty' either.

You are doing us dirty!

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Post 87. The one I quoted twice now. It's the line you typed above the line of "------".

Well...

That is what I do with my transmission fluid.

Instead of the hassle of dropping the pan; I suck out a couple of quarts every 20K miles and replenish with fresh.

Think of it this way.

Let's say the recommendation is to change it at 60K and you need 6 qts.

At 20k take out 2 put in 2 - you now have 1/3 fresh 2/3 old

At 40K you have 2/3 fresh 1/3 old

At 60k you have all fresh and no old.
------------------------------------

Now the smart people here will know that when you take out 2 qts in step 2 and 3 you are taking out some of the new. But if you do this every 20k - does it make a difference?

Post 87. The one I quoted twice now. It's the line you typed above the line of "------".

Seriously, what's your native language?

Seriously, what's your native language?

Stop drunk posting.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
So all bs aside the answer to op questions is no it doesn’t all need to be done just follow the mfgs warranty recommendations you should be fine transmission fluid should be red not brown and burnt smelling

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just out of curiosity, I browsed the local online listings and found a gem… picking up a NIB PPE pan/kit for $180. Raw, not the cool black one, but jeez. Can’t beat it!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scored this today. New in Box for $180. Guy ordered the wrong pan. Just dumb luck I found it listed. I actually bought another part from him a few weeks back.i also found my Moe’s 87mm the same way..
1672340692309.jpeg