How much of this is really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm in a dusty area, gravel roads etc, so I change the engine air filter every second oil change and blow it out in between a few times. I just change the cabin air filter every oil change, and it's often quite dirty. Most of these depend on how you drive etc.

All standard upselling from the service department. Most dealers will do this.
One issue noted though is the tire is not at the top of the list. That's a safety item and obviously the most important. It should be in bold, heavier/larger font, or somehow made to stand out on the estimate from the other items.

I don't know how **** Dodge / RAM dealers are regarding following their scheduled maintenance when dealing with warranty repairs, but keep this in mind when deciding when to do such work.

I had my RAM 2500 in for a tailgate problem a couple weeks ago. I thought it odd they didn't give me an estimate like the one you were given. I do my own maintenance so they won't have records of me changing diff oils etc. No complaints though just thought it odd. Maybe they have been burnt by scaring customers away with agressive upselling already.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I live in North Texas as well and used to go to the local Denton dealer until they changed management/ownership and weren't taking care of their customers like the old non-corporate owner. I agree with Turkeybird56 and others that refer to the owners manual for recommended service. If you're looking to change dealerships I've gotten good service from the one in Frisco. You need to be careful though, like all dealers some of their parts pricing is a little out of line. Always get an estimate before the work is done if you're paying for it. Good Luck.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'm not altogether sure why everyone is mad at the OP's dealership. Presumably they gave him a decent price on the oil change. After that they indicated a number of services that may not have been required, or were expensive (Tire and Cabin Air Filter).

The OP did the correct thing and had the tire replaced elsewhere, and replace the filter himself. They DID find the tire. I'd be rather happy about that and get on with my life.

I have 8 vehicles that I do maintenance on. 3 of these are my kids and they're spread across 3 different states. All of my extended vehicles are due home over the holiday for various types of maintenance.

Two of the vehicles will go in for Fluid changes and inspection (one dealership, one independent mechanic). Why? Because I value their time and expertise INSPECTING the vehicle. They have lifts and inspection tools that I do not. If they find brake, differential, cooling issues, I can choose to handle them myself, or pay to have them done. I could easily do the fluid changes myself, but I don't have calendar time available to perform a good inspection. This is why I consult experts.

When you take your vehicle in for service I would insist on an Inspection. They are supposed to be experts. You can choose to pay them for the recommended service, pay someone else, do the service yourself or completely disregard. The point is you now have the knowledge and can make a choice.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
All that costs a lot more on my wife's MB GLC300.
I just replaced the engine air filter and 4 spark plugs by myself, and saved $675 from what the dealer wanted. Both were easy jobs.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the owners manual. The intake, TB, and induction is BS, just a money maker for them. One of the service reps at the dealer I go to likes to "de carbonize" the intake. Was the intake removed to inspect it? Really?

I asked what they do when I was presented with the above "maintenance", crickets.

One of the service reps at the dealer I go to likes to "de carbonize" the intake. Was the intake removed to inspect it? Really? I now use the only service rep there that is almost honest. LOL

Top tear fuel, usually name brand, should keep the fuel system clean and I use a double dose of Techron Concentrate at each oil change.

Another favorite is, "the pads are worn out". I took it home, pulled the wheels, all pads were at about 1/2. Easy money. If there was not a tire rotation involved, did the tech actually pull the wheels to inspect the pads? Once again, Really?

Brake flush is recommended every two years. That has been consistent with our last 4 vehicles and my 3 motorcycles. Brake fluid likes moisture. After enough builds up in the fluid the brake fluid can over heat under heavy use along with the peddle being soft. Many people only flush the fluid when pads are replaced.

Coolant flush usually is dependent on years in the system.

I can believer the cabin filter and even intake filter. Both are easy to do. What gets me is if they go to the trouble of actually taking them out to look at them why do they charge labor to install a new one. If you say no they still have to install the old one.

Any service you have done keep track of it. I have been told I need differential serviced when I just had it done on the last visit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My dealership looks at the maintenance chart, which ever chart is handy.

I don't have a dust free engine compartment

When the Service Department tells me that the Air Filter is dirty, i know they are going by some chart, because there are no finger prints under the hood

They must have x-ray vision :)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my truck in for 30,000 mile service last week. When the service writer told me all the stuff they wanted to do I about s**t myself. I told him to only change the oil and give an itemized list, with price of what they wanted to do. I have no problem following the prescribed services, but this seems a little over the top. Is all of this really needed, or are they trying to pay for someones Christmas bonus with my truck? BTW, I did have the tire replaced at my local Discount tire and it was $100 less than the dealership wanted.

View attachment 508468
The BG throttle body service on top of an induction service? Really. That's robbery on that point, since the induction service is a natural inclusion. "Tire might blow"? Scheisters.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the oil and filter, maybe cabin air filter but I'd do it myself, get the tire checked someplace else. The rest is nothing more than upsell=rip-off! Bad dealer!

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lmao, only 30K no way does the brake fluid need flushing yet. And the coolants good for 100K isn't it? Throttle body's probly fine too. Easy enough to clean yourself if it does need it just like changing the cabin air filter.
And wtf is fuel induction, I'm assuming they meant fuel injection?! Lol they probably dump a bottle of cleaner in the tank and make a $150 profit. Dayum.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
IMO... yes this all needs to be done, but not at 30k miles. The soonest a guy would want to do that would be at 50k, & that would be a little ocd. Depending on how the truck was used I would personally would wait until somewhere between 75 & 100k. The cabin filter might actually need to be replaced depending on where you drive, but that's a simple fix & can be ordered from Amazon.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
When the Service Department tells me that the Air Filter is dirty, i know they are going by some chart, because there are no finger prints under the hood

They must have x-ray vision :)

Better than my local Chevy dealer. You can tell they checked the filter because they put the lid back on wrong and break a clip, cause a check engine light by doing so, then try to charge you to diagnose the check engine light. Went once, never went back.

Bad Tiki

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Had the same happen at last oil change, they had a list of “needed” fixes. Cabin air filter $50, till I pointed out it’s a $20 part and 10 minute job.
Loose exhaust (after market) clamp,$50. New clamp $5 and 10 minute job. Then was the brake caliper service for $350 that was needed till I pointed out that if there was a caliper problem then that would be under warranty (2020) . They then said my calipers were fine!!

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
brake fluid every 2-3 years if you're using a hygroscopic (water-absorbing) DOT III or IV. You can also tell if the brake pedal starts getting spongy.
During every oil change I use a turkey baster and suck out all of the old brake fluid from the reservoir. It keeps the fluid relatively fresh over the years.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
During every oil change I use a turkey baster and suck out all of the old brake fluid from the reservoir. It keeps the fluid relatively fresh over the years.
So you are changing out brake fluid every 5000 miles?