How much success have you had adding an amp to the 12" head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive currently got a 2014 ram that I love, but am considering going to a 2019/2020 with the 12" screen option. Ive put a lot of time and money into my current audio setup, and would like to put this equipment into a new Ram. Has anyone here been able to get a good signal from the stock 12" head unit and send it to an amplifier with good results?

tastysuds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just ordered a 2019 2500 with the 12" display. It should have the same connector as the 8" that I had in my 2017 1500. If so, Just get a connector from PAC and it gives you 3 pairs of RCA jacks. I had 3 JL amps in my truck. My new truck as well as my 2017 has the alpine system. The dealer asked me why I did not want the Harmen system. I just laughed..... It could never compare to what I could put in.

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was the signal good? Ive found that the signal coming out of factory units has been equalized in different spectrums (not a flat signal). You have to "un-equalize" it to get it back to baseline.

ddetar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins 6.7
I contacted PAC this morning as the speaker harness they have states 2008 - 2018 Ram truck. Looking at the wiring diagram with their harness it does not accommodate 17 speakers, live chat with them and they said they could not provide a solution for my 2019 23500 Laramie with 12" HK system.

Have you had any luck since your initial posts here ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ive currently got a 2014 ram that I love, but am considering going to a 2019/2020 with the 12" screen option. Ive put a lot of time and money into my current audio setup, and would like to put this equipment into a new Ram. Has anyone here been able to get a good signal from the stock 12" head unit and send it to an amplifier with good results?

Not entirely sure what your goal is here but I have a 2019 with RAM's HK "19 speaker, 900 watt" system. A TSB update improved the sound quality immensely (available for systems built before an Aug or was it Sept, 2018 date). I added an under-rear seat dual 10 inch sub and amplifier (bypassing the stock sub) and I have to say, the system rocks. IMHO

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive always had great stereo systems in all of my vehicles (all the way back to an '86 Dodge Aries). Getting great sound was never really that difficult, if you had the money. My concern is the head units in modern vehicles are so integral now, that pulling the HU and putting something aftermarket in takes away from the experience.

Being able to take a signal from the existing HU, and sending it to aftermarket equipment is possible, but getting a clean signal is very difficult. The factory will boost certain frequencies of certain speakers to make it sound "better". Its difficult to undo this eq'ing.

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to be able to upgrade the sub system in mine, install an amp and 10" sub, have you found a solution on this?