How much toy hauler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Mance

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
SO ... I am thinking of retiring in a couple years living in a trailer and traveling the US. There is so much I haven't seen! I want a toy hauler so I can keep my Moto Guzzi Stelvio for day rides wherever I end up at. With that in mind anyone towing toy haulers and what size are you comfortable towing with an eco. I have a 2016 4X4 if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I towed my 60 Dodge Dart home with mine. Well over 6,000 pounds up to the hills from the valley. 60 - 70 mph and got 16.7 mpg doing it. Not a toy hauler, but a very capable towing rig. Mine is also a 2016 4x4

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Check out the ATC tagalongs. All aluminum, and built to last.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would use a 2500 class pickup to tow a toy hauler. No worries about whether or not the truck can handle the load. By handle the load I mean does it provide enough power to pass a tractor and trailer rig going up a grade at 10 mph or a slow vehicle on the highway and do so quickly enough to be safe. Are the brakes up to stopping the truck and the trailer should there be a problem with the trailer brakes.

A 2500 class truck is rated for nearly double the trailer load of a 1500 truck and many parts of the 2500 truck are substantially stronger. You would have a lot more options as to trailers to buy, including a used one that can save you 50% over a new one.