How much weight before engaging tow/haul mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey, folks, I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer. If this has been discussed please direct me to the correct thread. Thanks.

2016 1500 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 3.6L Pentastar, 3.55 gears. I can't foresee a circumstance where I'd need to use it as the most I plan to carry in my bed are motorcycles. One at a time, not together. One is 450lbs, the other about 700. I'm wondering at what weight should tow/haul mode be engaged? Obviously, this is an approximation as we're not always going to know the exact weight of what we're hauling. Or are folks turning it on when they feel how the truck is behaving with the load?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Typically I don't use tow haul untill I've got a 2000lb plus trailer behind me. Our car hauler empty is over 2k and that's kinda where I start using it even empty. I have never had enough weight in the bed to feel like I need it.

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For bed loads the only time I've kicked it on was when hauling a half a yard of masonry sand, and a yard of decomposed granite, and a bed load of pavers. Basically if it's enough weight that I need to toss some air in the bags to remove the sag, I kick it on. It's always on when hauling my trailer, but considering its size and weight it would be silly not to. If I still had my dinky 4x8 and I was just hauling a quad on it, I wouldn't bother. But my Hillbilly Hilton with the Jeep on it, oh yeah.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I actually did some experimenting with my new Rebel yesterday, wanted to see how the 8-speed compared to my 2011. I was towing a 5x10 utility trailer full of hardwood as well as my bed being full. Close to a full cord so roughly 4000 pound load. It seriously was night and day difference with trailer mode on. While the truck didn't have any issues pulling it the tranny seemed to do a lot of "hunting" for the right gear. I turned on trailed mode and I notice a huge improvement, almost like I wasn't even towing anything.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slightly different here - I have a 14 25006.4 - I use tow haul anytime I am in town just to keep the tranny from going into 5th or 6th and engaging the mds while I am doing 25-50mph. As far as towing if you feel the truck could be doing better just turn on the tow/haul and see how it does. Undoubtably you will be happier on any hill up or down. I also use my tow haul on steep hills to help keep the truck at the speed I want. Just some insight for you.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My previous vehicle, a silverado, said @ 65% capacity.....and that's what I go by for my Ram too.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You can use TH when ever you want you dont really have to have a load on it.
IMO if you hook a trailer on the back and you wonder IF then push the button.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My previous vehicle, a silverado, said @ 65% capacity.....and that's what I go by for my Ram too.
This sounds like good advice. Will probably try that as a guide. As noted above, the most I expect on an kind of regular basis is about 700lbs. I haven't loaded that bike yet so we'll see how it goes. The 450lb bike is like not having anything in the bed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mostly tow a 1400 lbs Jumping Jack trailer plus maybe another 200 lbs of random camp stuff/mountain bikes in the bed with a similar truck (QC Tradesman V6 with 3.55). No need for tow/haul mode with that load, however just picking up an empty 6x12 U-haul (~2000 lbs and much worse aerodynamics) it felt less strained in tow/haul.