How much weight transfer off of the front axle is OK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do agree with you , 1500 Rams ride like a car . The first part of the coil springs are really soft allowing a soft ride . Put a load in and you get a couple inches of squat before getting into the stiffer portion .of the spring . Airbags are a good solution don't mess up ride quality but give you the support you need .
The squat caused by trailers is simple physics , the load is 4 ft or so from the axle which is the fulcrum, works like a lever . If you put 450 lbs over the rear axle the truck would hardly notice it . I would be curious to see how much weight the airbags will transfer back to the front . Push the rear down weight off the front , push the rear up and weight will transfer forward . If you ever weigh it with the bags please post the results .
Airbags wont transfer anything back to the front. Here is a great video that demonstrates the difference between air bags and a WDH using a real truck and trailer on a scale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg&ab_channel=FastwayTrailer

To the OP: I know you said you already did the airbags so the point is probably mute at this point. But if you did decide to try a WDH I think it could work for you in your scenario. You said the other trucks being used with this trailer don't need it. So they just wouldn't use it. They could just hook the trailer up to their trucks and the fact that the brackets for your WDH were on the trailer shouldn't matter to them. Seems to me it would only come into play if one of the others also wanted to use a WDH because the hitch would have to be readjusted every time a different truck used it. But with you as the only one using a WDH, I don't see why it wouldnt work.

OP
OP

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Airbags wont transfer anything back to the front. Here is a great video that demonstrates the difference between air bags and a WDH using a real truck and trailer on a scale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg&ab_channel=FastwayTrailer

To the OP: I know you said you already did the airbags so the point is probably mute at this point. But if you did decide to try a WDH I think it could work for you in your scenario. You said the other trucks being used with this trailer don't need it. So they just wouldn't use it. They could just hook the trailer up to their trucks and the fact that the brackets for your WDH were on the trailer shouldn't matter to them. Seems to me it would only come into play if one of the others also wanted to use a WDH because the hitch would have to be readjusted every time a different truck used it. But with you as the only one using a WDH, I don't see why it wouldnt work.
If a Ram needs a WDH for 480 pounds of tongue weight they should give up on calling it a half ton truck.

Now coil springs can wear out with heavy use, my truck is an 09 with 192k mikes on it so perhaps my springs sag more due to age. But people with newer 4th gens seem to have the same issue.

The airbags seem to be working well for $89 and two hours to install. If for some reasons I have issue with them in the future I’ll probably buy new springs like the tuff springs mentioned in this thread.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If a Ram needs a WDH for 480 pounds of tongue weight they should give up on calling it a half ton truck.

The rams use progressive coils. The first 2 inches will squat quicker than the next 2. Truck King (Youtube) has thrown 1000 pounds of concrete in the back and it squats just as much as every other half ton, about 2 inches.

All half tons are soft and squishy, not just the Ram, though the Ram is definitely the best ride and with that, the easiest to start squatting.

I don't know about OP's setup, but 500 pounds is definitely where all half tons should be using WDH when that weight comes from a trailer. (different situation when 500 pounds is inside the truck or in the bed).

OP
OP

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rams use progressive coils. The first 2 inches will squat quicker than the next 2. Truck King (Youtube) has thrown 1000 pounds of concrete in the back and it squats just as much as every other half ton, about 2 inches.

All half tons are soft and squishy, not just the Ram, though the Ram is definitely the best ride and with that, the easiest to start squatting.

I don't know about OP's setup, but 500 pounds is definitely where all half tons should be using WDH when that weight comes from a trailer. (different situation when 500 pounds is inside the truck or in the bed).
I’ve had a Silverado, an F150, and a Ram. The Ram rear end is softer than the other two.

The Ram squats 6+ inches with the same trailer that squats a 2018 F150 about two inches, which is what prompted me to weigh the trailer and start this thread. Maybe they put better coils in later, but the 09 is soft.

I put 1/3 of a cord of Oak on a pallet in the bed, about 1300 pounds of the 1660 payload, and there was about an inch clear below the bump stops.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’ve had a Silverado, an F150, and a Ram. The Ram rear end is softer than the other two.

The Ram squats 6+ inches with the same trailer that squats a 2018 F150 about two inches, which is what prompted me to weigh the trailer and start this thread. Maybe they put better coils in later, but the 09 is soft.

I put 1/3 of a cord of Oak on a pallet in the bed, about 1300 pounds of the 1660 payload, and there was about an inch clear below the bump stops.

Here's the video I was talking about: 1000 pounds in the bed, squat of 2 inches, which is pretty much identical to all half tons. Skip to 10:32 in the video and watch to about 11:32

Pretty sure they test F150's later on as well, it's all the same stuff. I suspect there might be a problem with your specific truck if it's squatting 6 inches vs the 2 from the Ford.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I posted my loaded and unloaded scale weights. It is the first post in this thread.
So weird, I swore I read through the entire thread and I always look for numbers. Not sure how I missed them, but awesome that you did post as they usually are not there.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What a great forum throw your 2 cents in and get a wealth of info back . I had assumed by leveling the truck up with are bags would help transfer the weight . That was a great video , learned something new .Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn